Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:30 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Is this the start of balkanization in the U.S?
Seems like China town is a landmark in the U.S with historic juncture.
Italians have Little Italy is multiple American cities, they are obviously being influenced by Italian Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 05:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Is this the start of balkanization in the U.S?
Seems like China town is a landmark in the U.S with historic juncture.
Back in the day, minorities set up enclaves because recent immigrants needed community support to get on their feet, and also because in those days they simply weren't welcome in a lot of neighborhoods.

Nowadays this sort of balkanization is 100% optional, and I think it's a bad idea.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Back in the day, minorities set up enclaves because recent immigrants needed community support to get on their feet, and also because in those days they simply weren't welcome in a lot of neighborhoods.

Nowadays this sort of balkanization is 100% optional, and I think it's a bad idea.
So when little Italy = good, but Little Puerto Rico = bad?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:39 PM

310 posts, read 256,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Those places would already exist there if they did. Naming that 12-block stretch of Vermont that already has handful of Salvadorean restaurants and other businesses--"El Salvador Corridor" isn't going to suddenly attract more gangs. You might get a few more people from outside the area curious to see what it's about, but it's already got a Salvadorean population in the neighborhood. There's Salvadorean areas that are predominantly Salvadorean all over LA besides that one little street.

All that will basically happen is that LA Weekly's guide to LA or the NY Times will suddenly mention, "Hey folks, check out El Savlador Corridor for some good pupusa joints." That's who this will be most important for in the end, bored white foodies(like me). Then possibly some day the ever increasing gentrification of central LA will reach that section of Vermont and people will be upset that white hipsters start moving into "El Salvador Corridor" and opening up dive bars. And then some day people will cry out, "Those jerks have ruined "El Salvador Corridor, it's just a bunch of yoga studios and trendy ice cream shops these days, all the original culture is gone." Or another ethnic group will move into the neighborhood, and suddenly there will be a new cultural mix.
I still don't think you are quite getting what I am saying. Say they do cut up this area into a bunch of little communities and, for example, prominent Salvadorian and Colombian gangs infiltrate their respective communities by setting up shops as fronts for drug running. Now, if they are bordering each other that just seems like a ticking time bomb to me. Heck, even if they are on opposite sides they won't be far enough away from each other. And sure, gentrification could change everything, but there is an equal chance that it could turn into a run-down slum. From reading the article, it does not seem like this is merely for white foodie hipsters, it is for these communities to have their own area. In fact, the article even says this: "Community leader Yahir Gaitan Ortiz said he hopes culturally cordoning off the area will drive away the gentrification threatening to displace Guatemalans."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
But the bad parts of "Little Havana" have little to do with Calle Ocho or the neighbrohood being called "Little Havana". They're not even Cuban for the most part. There's much worse areas of Miami that don't get a cute neighborhood moniker. Calle Ocho is basically marketed as a tourist destination for people eager to sample Cuban food or culture from a country that doesn't allow it's citizens to actually travel to Cuba.
As I said, I admit to not having any experience with the area other than what I have read. What about the organized crime in Little Armenia, then?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
When they value their home nations and its flaws over America its freedoms and its future...That is when it is bad for America..That is true for any culture or group who is here..

Last edited by gunlover; 04-03-2014 at 05:51 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
When they value their come nations and its flaws over America its freedoms and future...That is true for any culture or group who is here..
I have no idea what you just said

Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 PM

310 posts, read 256,349 times
Quote:
Little Italy is no good as well, considering their long history of harboring organized crime in New York.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:52 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
Little Italy is no good as well, considering their long history of harboring organized crime in New York.
And voting in corrupt leftist like they did back in Italy, Why do they always bring the failed ideologies from their home nations?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
I'd appreciate the courtesy of not having words put in my mouth.

I didn't say "Little Italy" was good. I don't think it is. We're all Americans. We need to act like it.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:08 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
I still don't think you are quite getting what I am saying. Say they do cut up this area into a bunch of little communities and, for example, prominent Salvadorian and Colombian gangs infiltrate their respective communities by setting up shops as fronts for drug running. Now, if they are bordering each other that just seems like a ticking time bomb to me. Heck, even if they are on opposite sides they won't be far enough away from each other.
No. Central American immigrants have already established little communities in those areas years ago. Any sort of conflict would've of happened or is going to happen regardless if you rename one stretch of Vermont.

Quote:
And sure, gentrification could change everything, but there is an equal chance that it could turn into a run-down slum. From reading the article, it does not seem like this is merely for white foodie hipsters, it is for these communities to have their own area.
It was sort of a snarky comment about how fast LA is gentrifying. Many of those areas though already were rundown at one point, they're actually improving as of late as LA property values go up. The irony is that the Central American groups are just trying to carve out a small neighborhood identity in an area that gets thrown together as Koreatown continues to expand--which is ma big area. But Koreatown is rapidly a cool area for people outside the area to check out(or move to). Just like places that were predominantly Hispanic like Echo Park have become hip areas for transplants recently.

Quote:
In fact, the article even says this: "Community leader Yahir Gaitan Ortiz said he hopes culturally cordoning off the area will drive away the gentrification threatening to displace Guatemalans."
What a jerk! Only gentrification can prevent organized crime!

Quote:
As I said, I admit to not having any experience with the area other than what I have read. What about the organized crime in Little Armenia, then?
You could tell me Zankou Chicken was owned by the Armenian Mob, wouldn't matter to me--it's still delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies