Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 03:41 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Eich was CEO, the Grand Poobah, the Big Kahuna. He wasn't just "some employee".
And when he made the Proposition 8 donation, he wasn't. He was a private individual. Just like you or I.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Eich has not changed his opinions.
So what, is is spouting off about it publicly? Then why does it bother anyone....

I wonder how hard these people had to dig to find this....

Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
The loons would try and do so. There is an element of rabid nutjobs who just scream whine and file lawsuits left and right. Why because I guess they think nothing is fair bla bla bla. Just shut up and go live your life. Why folks get all hooked into this type of nonsense I will never know. Sure you can be for this or that and like you say hey go vote but that is what a civilized population does............vote and let the people speak with those votes. No these militant nuts take it to the next level..............to the point of becoming terrorists at times. Like I said before these same folks who scream and cry about bullies and the like are the very bullies they so say they despise yet they don't even see it........that is how far lost they are.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why is he a bigot? Because he has different views than you?

So, by your logic, if I do not agree with you, I'm a bigot?

How leftist of you.
He's a bigot because he supports discriminating against a group of people. It's not about whether you disagree with me or not. It's about the nature of the disagreement. When you judge a group of people, and then based on your judgment you accord them second-class status, then that's bigotry. Justifying the judgment based on religious beliefs may excuse the bigotry in your eyes, but it's still bigotry.

If Steve and Clark across the street get married, it will have zero impact on your marriage. Zero impact. You have no interest in stopping Steve and Clark getting married, except for your prejudices against homosexuals.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
What about him? The political/social beliefs of a politician can mean everything in terms of ultimat success. You don't like a politician's beliefs? Vote him/her out.

Right-wingers are claiming censorship where none exists. Nobody was literally forced to do anything. Mozilla had every right to say 'we don't care' with regards to the protests.
So you agree with what happened? You agree that nothing has been shown he did any of this at work, it was his personnel belief, and kept it his belief.

The left brought this up, had to dig for it....and you are not calling that censorship?

If these people would not have brought it up, would he still be in charge?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Because the "persectution" of one rich guy, who's still incredibly rich, doesn't really bother me that much compared to the persecution of millions of people who aren't allowed to marry the people they love.
Then that's the difference between us. I don't support the persecution of one person or a million people. Persecution is wrong.

Edit: by the way, why did you misspell "persectution"? I looked, and I didn't misspell in the post you referenced. Did I misspell it elsewhere? If I did, the fact that I've repeatedly used the word and typed it correctly would indicate that a misspelling was a typo, not an inability to spell correctly.

Last edited by DC at the Ridge; 04-07-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He's a bigot because he supports discriminating against a group of people. It's not about whether you disagree with me or not. It's about the nature of the disagreement. When you judge a group of people, and then based on your judgment you accord them second-class status, then that's bigotry. Justifying the judgment based on religious beliefs may excuse the bigotry in your eyes, but it's still bigotry.

If Steve and Clark across the street get married, it will have zero impact on your marriage. Zero impact. You have no interest in stopping Steve and Clark getting married, except for your prejudices against homosexuals.
Well, I guess there are million and million of people who are bigots, without knowledge....

BTW, I agree with almost every post you have made in the last 4-5 pages....just saying....

Old 04-07-2014, 03:50 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGringo71 View Post
so we should hunt down everybody that made donations to PROP 8 at their workplace?

should we go after the people that donated money against PROP 8? don't you want "equality"
I tell you what, when I start a proposition to keep straight people from being able to get married, you feel free to call my employer and tell him I shouldn't run the company.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGringo71 View Post
how do you destroy the joy of other's people by voting in a legal referendum? Gays didn't have joy before all this?

are you going after the 7 million Californians (the majority) who voted for PROP 8 at their workplace?

basically you are saying, vote our way or we will make your life hard?.......hypocrites!
He didn't just vote in the proposition. He funded the proposition.

If I fund a proposition that will keep you from getting married, you feel free to try to get me fired.

I won't complain one bit.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Or it's deterrence. Or it's fighting back. Or it's simply letting people know that you don't want to do business with bigots if you can avoid it.

And they can pick and choose their battles. There's nothing that requires them to go after all or even any of their persecutors.

Maybe if Eich had made a statement of regret, or tried to break bread with them. Maybe they would have forgave and forgot, I dunno.

But I don't feel sorry for him, not in the least. He was living by the sword, he died by the sword. He choose the battles he wanted to fight, right or wrong.

I don't see any evidence that he felt the least bit sorry for all the people's lives he was trying to make miserable. Why should anyone feel sorry for him?
He wasn't living by the sword. He was living in a country where people are entitled to have their own opinions regardless of how popular or unpopular those opinions are. He didn't choose to battle. He chose to donate to a political movement that reflected his own personal beliefs.

He doesn't have to feel the least bit sorry. He shouldn't feel sorry. His opinion at the time arguably reflected the opinion of the majority of Californians. His opinion today is shared by millions of other Americans. We don't punish individuals for their beliefs and opinions in this country when those beliefs and opinions are expressed as a private individual. That's the core of freedom. To be able to believe what you want to do without fear of persecution or retribution. These actions against this man are a slap in the face of freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies