Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why go after one person at Mozilla, when a larger target exists at Intel (60% of employee contributions supported Proposition 8)?
That one person was the CEO and public face of Mozilla.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post

DO NOT VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS. THIS IS WHAT THEY SUPPORT.
Oh, pish-posh!

This is what some people whose fervent support for gay rights support, because they've crossed a line where they think payback is justified. It's not.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
The bigots are a lot tougher when they're the hammer than when they're the nail.

Because I hear a lot of talk about rights and leaving people alone now, but I didn't hear that when they were putting the heel of their boot on the back of the necks of gays folks who just wanted to be left alone.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
That one person was the CEO and public face of Mozilla.
CEO for ten days. A man whose entire career was advocacy for open source technology and freeware. A man who made a paltry $1000 donation to Proposition 8 as a private individual 8 years ago. A American who has the right to his own private opinions. He didn't make his opinions public. The LA Times published the names of individuals who contributed for and against Proposition 8. And someone culled that list and outed Mr Eich. Over a year ago. Mr Eich was given the position of CEO, and all H E L L broke loose. It wasn't his doing. He did nothing in the workplace to harm gay people. This boycott and vendetta is persecution, pure and simple, and it's wrong.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The bigots are a lot tougher when they're the hammer than when they're the nail.

Because I hear a lot of talk about rights and leaving people alone now, but I didn't hear that when they were putting the heel of their boot on the back of the necks of gays folks who just wanted to be left alone.
I've always defended "gay folks". Because persecuting them was wrong. Because persecution is wrong. It's WRONG. It's not defensible. It's WRONG.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why go after one person at Mozilla, when a larger target exists at Intel (60% of employee contributions supported Proposition 8)?
And yet
Quote:
“Intel Corporation supports marriage equality. In Oregon, Intel is a board member of the Portland Business Alliance and the Oregon Business Association. Both organizations voted and have publicly supported marriage equality this year.”
Intel, on pending Oregon ballot measure: We support marriage equality | OregonLive.com

Old 04-07-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
CEO for ten days. A man whose entire career was advocacy for open source technology and freeware. A man who made a paltry $1000 donation to Proposition 8 as a private individual 8 years ago. A American who has the right to his own private opinions. He didn't make his opinions public. The LA Times published the names of individuals who contributed for and against Proposition 8. And someone culled that list and outed Mr Eich. Over a year ago. Mr Eich was given the position of CEO, and all H E L L broke loose. It wasn't his doing. He did nothing in the workplace to harm gay people. This boycott and vendetta is persecution, pure and simple, and it's wrong.
If he would have made that contribution to the KKK would you feel the same way?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:49 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
They are NOT fighting for that right. If they were, they would be content to support an equal measure that is called anything but "marriage". But they are insistent that it be called marriage, which shows that they are NOT for equal rights, but FOR attacking christianity. Why else would they not be satisfied with a civil union label that gives them every right that a married couple has?
Because the fight against allowing civil unions would be every bit as vicious. Most anti-gay marriage legislation comes with broad wording to make sure nothing marriage-like is allowed to sneak in. It is only now, when they're hard pressed, that the anti-gay segment is pretending to have wanted civil unions all along.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I've always defended "gay folks". Because persecuting them was wrong. Because persecution is wrong. It's WRONG. It's not defensible. It's WRONG.
Would you feel alright about a boycott of a company whose CEO contributed to the KKK? You know, in his private time - didn't effect his job.

I think I would be okay with that, just like I'm okay with this.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGringo71 View Post
LMAO!!! The KKK is a domestic terrorist organization...............you really are grasping at straws aren't you?
It's a legal organization, and you know, he did it in his private time. Would that be okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies