Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Talking points are not a healthcare plan.

These seemingly one off series of GOP "talking points" have a common thread- the Cato Institute, the Libertarian think tank bankrolled by the Koch boys and others with deep pockets and similar views.

As it relates to the Medicare talking point, these people ignore the reason why Medicare was created- private insurers declined to insure the exposures of healthcare for the elderly. Giving someone an annual $15,000 voucher to pay for healthcare would barely cover the ER cost for a simple slip/ fall event. In other words, it's a substantially premature death sentence for the majority of seniors. All the advances in healthcare made over the past 50 years go out the window and seniors will drop like flies. Talk about a death panel.

Why is it we don't hear about means testing, increasing eligibility age, over time, allowing Medicare to negotiate the price of medications and devices, death with dignity, comparative- effectiveness panels for medications, tax credits for medical practices who treat seniors and medical malpractice tort reform?

There is something fundamentally wrong when government deficit spends to give Dick Cheny a $ 1 million heart transplant, despite his immense wealth and then wealthy conservative politicians expects the average Joe to make do with a $15,000 annual voucher which will not even cover the tests necessary to diagnose a nasty.

AARP is the largest lobby and if this gets any traction, it will unleash tens of millions of its members with pitchforks on these idiots. I swear sometimes, the GOP has no intention of winning elections.

ITA with all the above!!

This talking point by Jindal is silly IMO. Especially in regards to the Medicare vouchers. What MAM said above is correct in regards to the elderly not being able to get affordable solutions via the open market. This is why Medicare is around in the first place. If Jindal really wants to be the thinking party, he needs to think about the fact that the GOP are an older party by all accounts and many members on Medicare don't want their Medicare touched.

That said, I like Jindal. He is fresh and isn't a tea party or Libertarian crazed republican and I do feel he would be a decent presidential candidate and bring some excitement back to the GOP. He is a minority, he is a southern governor, and he is intelligent and could come across well. If Romney could get a nod as a Mormon, I think the prejudicial members of the GOP could look past him being an Indian (and possible a Hindu - I know he is not BTW but I know some would think he is just because he is an Indian and brownskin).

But I don't like this healthcare idea of his. It is not a plan and I don't think that it is better than Obamacare even though I have many issues with Obamacare as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
True, even though Republicans and Fox News spent the better part of four years pretending it was.
The majority of insured people are insured via their employer's large group healthcare plans which now complies with the ACA. This remains the business coveted by insurers. The individual plan market is a small percentage of the overall market. This is why those opposed to ACA talk about millions of people without putting it into perspective of the overall population.

Not that I care what other nations think, the state and cost of US healthcare and pushback on universal healthcare, makes the US the laughing stock amongst the developed world.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-04-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
[/b]

AHahahahahahahahahaha, OMG that's the funniest thing I've seen in weeks. And I just watched a Cute Kitten Video.

First, do you really believe what you write? That for-profit companies will cooperate in any way, shape or form to REDUCE their profits??? Hell, the GOP worships at the throne of making more money than God. Why would the GOP even THINK of doing this?

And second, what would a GOP government do if the private insurance companies didn't want to cooperate? Force them? OMG, GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE! Call the police! Call the black helicopters! Call the Koch brothers!
Not for profit does not mean a company cannot incur a profit. All it means is that they can't issue dividends to their shareholders.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You are correct I do not see a veto overriding senate . That said it would mean the president would be forced to veto the corrections to Obama care . As it is now Reid will not let the senate vote on the bills the house has sent over. The party of no the democrats in the senate will become the party of no at the presidential level
Oh come on now. The house would not vote on the bipartisan immigration plan. This is what's done when the whip/ speaker predetermine it has no shot of passing and/ or to protect elected officials from having to vote for the record. It's politics as usual and happens in both chambers no matter who holds the majority.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Don't plan on any colonoscopy. Refused the free ones when I was working, plus all the other free "wellness" stuff. I don't believe in it.
Just curious if you intend to decline treatment if/ when you become one of the unfortunate who gets diagnosed with an advanced stage of cancer that might have been nipped in the bud ( pun intended) had you chosen to take advantage of included Wellness stuff ?

It's not a fair question because none of us know what we would do until we are faced with the situation. That later stage cancer treatment is substantially more invasive and costly to treat matters.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,816 times
Quote:
Just curious if you intend to decline treatment if/ when you become one of the unfortunate who gets diagnosed with an advanced stage of cancer that might have been nipped in the bud ( pun intended) had you chosen to take advantage of included Wellness stuff ?

It's not a fair question because none of us know what we would do until we are faced with the situation. That later stage cancer treatment is substantially more invasive and costly to treat matters.
I hesitated to post this before because it sounds like just another made-up Internet forum story. But I had resisted a colonoscopy for quite awhile myself. Finally my doctor told me about another patient who did the same. Eventually she was diagnosed with advanced cancer that would have beens spotted by a colonoscopy and died shortly thereafter, leaving a husband and young children behind.

Maybe my doctor made it up to just to persuade me to get some unnecessary test? No, I'm not the kind of person who thinks that way. So I had the colonoscopy and am glad to know that for the moment, I'm healthy.

Also, I believe that it's people who do refuse wellness efforts who help drive up the cost of healthcare for all of us because, as you said, treatments for later stage illnesses are much more expensive. And the insurance company who has to pay for it will get that money back from all of its customers, you can be quite sure.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
This is why I don't get on Obamacare because it could end and I would be having to pay outrageous‎ premiums.

Declaring that the GOP needs to be “the party of solutions,” Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) offered his own health care plan to replace Obamacare at a breakfast for reporters held by The Christian Science Monitor Wednesday. It is a move that adds to his gravitas as a possible presidential candidate for 2016 – and adds to a number of Republican plans that are either already developed or in the works in Congress.

Governor Jindal proposes Republican alternative to Obamacare - CSMonitor.com
I don't even know why conservatives waste their time with this dumb stuff.

Look in order to expand health insurance to 10's of millions of people, the government will have to spend money. Period. And so the government can either spend that money without raising the revenue, known as deficit spending or by raising revenue. To raise revenue the government has to raise taxes.

These are two things that conservatives will not do for the younger much more racially diverse poor and working class Americans who don't have insurance.

So all of these press conferences are a joke.

Again in order to get millions more people health insurance, the government will have to spend more money. This is a fact and this spending can only be funded by increased taxes. conservatives will not do either. So whatever plan they come up with will not expand health insurance coverage to 10's of millions of Americans.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

ITA with all the above!!

This talking point by Jindal is silly IMO. Especially in regards to the Medicare vouchers. What MAM said above is correct in regards to the elderly not being able to get affordable solutions via the open market. This is why Medicare is around in the first place. If Jindal really wants to be the thinking party, he needs to think about the fact that the GOP are an older party by all accounts and many members on Medicare don't want their Medicare touched.

That said, I like Jindal. He is fresh and isn't a tea party or Libertarian crazed republican and I do feel he would be a decent presidential candidate and bring some excitement back to the GOP. He is a minority, he is a southern governor, and he is intelligent and could come across well. If Romney could get a nod as a Mormon, I think the prejudicial members of the GOP could look past him being an Indian (and possible a Hindu - I know he is not BTW but I know some would think he is just because he is an Indian and brownskin).

But I don't like this healthcare idea of his. It is not a plan and I don't think that it is better than Obamacare even though I have many issues with Obamacare as well.
Jindal was conceived in India and born in the US. He converted to Catholic while in grad school.
I think he is held hostage by the tea party, no different than the rest. I don't know enough about his record to have an opinion. The" party of stupid" remark was likely calculated to draw attention especially from Independents, like me.

There are elements within his talking points that deserve serious attention, especially expanding the HSA option.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:29 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,868,945 times
Quote:
32% of seniors have heart conditions. A bypass runs $70,000-$100,000 depending on complexity. This does not include the cost of diagnostic tests, MD, surgeon fees and ongoing medications.

20 % of seniors receive a Cancer diagnosis. Of the 12 drugs used to treat cancer, 11 are priced above $100,000 for a year's treatment. This does not include diagnostic tests, MD, surgeon or hospital fees.
Ah, now I get it. That $15,000 voucher for Medicare that Jindal wants to give seniors for their healthcare needs is the institution of those death panels we've been hearing the right screeching about for five years now. You have defined them very succinctly.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,636 times
This was an interesting read. We do need to draw up some alternative plan, Obamacare needs to be repealed, it is a trainwreck and it has only made things worse. I think the best solution is to force insurance companies to compete across state lines, this will lower the price of insurance. If people want a government option then let the individual CHOOSE to use it! Don't try to force everyone on it, make it an option. I for one would never trust the government with my healthcare, not after the disaster that is the Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies