Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
Although the true meaning of Easter (and Christmas) are Christian-related, they have unfortunately become secular events in the US over the years. The Bible and Christianity in general doesn't have anything about Easter eggs or Easter Egg hunts. Last year our post office only sold stamps for Ramadan and Kwanzaa (with those words written on the stamp) but they had a holiday-like stamp with a wreath without the word "Christmas" on it. I don't remember Christians making a fuss about it. I'm vegan but I don't make a fuss about meat being served in schools although it's against my beliefs and I believe it's morally wrong to kill an animal (or to eat them) yet I don't expect the world to follow my beliefs.

Schools serve halal meals to accommodate Muslims, yet that Muslim parent would have a problem with a harmless Easter Egg hunt ? What's next ? Complaining that women in the US are not covering our hair and not dressing modestly enough for Muslims ? I lived in a Muslim country for several years and no one cared about our beliefs. It was all about Muslims and their beliefs, yet we learned to adapt and follow the laws of the land. If some Muslims are unhappy with public schools in the US they can send their kids to Muslim schools here, or home school them, but we shouldn't have to stop Easter Egg Hunts or stop sending out flyers to parents about secular events that don't infringe on anyone's rights. The Muslim father should be teaching his child tolerance and respect for all, not siding with him for having an issue with a school flyer for a fun activity that has absolutely nothing to do with religion!
Wrong. Go read your history of the Roman Empire.

Pagan rituals have evolved into the secular festivities we have today.
Christian rituals were aligned with the Pagan rituals during Constantine's rule of the Roman Empire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:08 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I'm not Muslim, but I don't like public schools promoting a religion, ANY RELIGION. I don't want to "get the heck out" and I luckily I don't have to - separation of church and state is the law of this land.
I'm not religious either, but if you really want to start talking about the hypocrisy of the separation of church and state it's full of contradictions...

In god we trust is all over the place, money being the first obvious one that that comes to mind.

My "get the heck out" comment is geared toward immigrants that come here and don't want to assimilate, they just want to change how we do things.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its Okay to implement halal food in public schools, but not okay to hand out flyers for anyone willing to participate in an easter egg hunt? Easter eggs has nothing to do with christianity
And don't forget the prayer rugs at colleges and universities.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Typical right wing nonsense.
Yeah, the irony is that I'm a pretty middle of the road guy.

I just say what I said because I respect people laws and customs.

The old saying about when in Rome, do as the Romans do... I get irked when people come here and complain about the local customs and rituals.

I certainly wouldn't go into another country and expect them to bend to my way of thinking.......

I don't get where there can be a brake in logic here.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:40 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
Although the true meaning of Easter (and Christmas) are Christian-related, they have become secular events in the US over the years. The Bible and Christianity in general doesn't have anything about Easter eggs or Easter Egg hunts. Last year our post office only sold stamps for Ramadan and Kwanzaa (with those words written on the stamp) but they had a holiday-like stamp with a wreath without the word "Christmas" on it. I don't remember Christians making a fuss about it. I'm vegan but I don't make a fuss about meat being served in schools although it's against my beliefs and I believe it's morally wrong to kill an animal (or to eat them) yet I don't expect the world to follow my beliefs.

Schools serve halal meals to accommodate Muslims, yet that Muslim parent would have a problem with a harmless Easter Egg hunt ? What's next ? Complaining that women in the US are not covering our hair and not dressing modestly enough for Muslims ? I lived in a Muslim country for several years and no one cared about our beliefs. It was all about Muslims and their beliefs, yet we learned to adapt and follow the laws of the land. If some Muslims are unhappy with public schools in the US they can send their kids to Muslim schools here, or home school them, but we shouldn't have to stop Easter Egg Hunts or stop sending out flyers to parents about secular events that don't infringe on anyone's rights. The Muslim father should be teaching his child tolerance and respect for all, not siding with him for having an issue with a school flyer for a fun activity that has absolutely nothing to do with religion!

In some parts of the country Muslims are now demanding that girls be segregated from the boys in public school lunchrooms.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
People can ask for whatever they want, they won't get much of it though.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:27 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Muslim parent upset over school flyer promoting church's Easter egg hunt | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I do think he has reason to be upset. Churches do use secular things to get people to come to church and find out about Jesus. Why not? It's good PR. I think if the Muslims don't want their kids to see these things they should not come to the US. If they don't want their kids influenced by other cultures than don't mix with different cultures. What do they think will happen? They need to have their own schools inside the mosques.

We have a mosque near us and I see them trying to get converts. They put a tent up outside and have people come to hear about them. Live and let live. Keep it out of schools and hold the Easter egg hunts on secular grounds. We have ours at the city hall in our small city. It's announced in the paper. It works out ok for the city kids but we also have a hunt at our church and kids can come and bring friends. If they have Muslim friends their parents may be concerned or maybe some won't. Who knows.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
We live in an era wherein everyone must tip toe around, remaining on high alert for the distinct possibility that someone, somewhere is going to get offended about some insignificant, special interest issue. Solutions? Don’t go to the Easter egg hunt and keep your kids at home where they can be completely shielded from the evil influences of the secular fiend, the Easter bunny. Solved.

My beliefs, opinions, perspectives, likes, dislikes, and life style are not your’s. Yours are not mine. That’s the reality.

If that’s too much for you, I suggest you return to your beloved Muslim country where you won’t have to be bombarded with worries over such threatening things like First Amendment Rights.

Either get over, change the channel, leave the room, whatever it takes to protect your sensitive feelings and holier than thou values. I’m sure there’s a loose woman or two in need of a good, lethal stoning, somewhere.

This whole PC “you need to revere my whatever or else” thing is just too far out of control. especially when it’s a Muslim having fits over American traditions.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its Okay to implement halal food in public schools, but not okay to hand out flyers for anyone willing to participate in an easter egg hunt? Easter eggs has nothing to do with christianity

How about a Muslim hunt instead?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
People have to eat. Just as Jewish people eat Kosher.

It is food.
Is it REALLY? This is how it started in Australia....Sharia goes way beyond food and halal but the point we want to make here is that all of the halal certification organisations are operating under sharia law and desire for sharia law to be accepted as a part of our mainstream society. Money that is paid out in fees for halal certification is used to fund in part or whole the push for sharia law in Australia. On the Islamic website muslimvillage.com (June 11) the secretary of the Australian Islamic Mission, Siddiq Buckley is quoted as saying,

"There are practical examples of [sharia] here already. We have Muslim schools, mosques, funeral parlours, shops and businesses. We’ve got abattoirs, Islamic charities, Islamic financial institutions. There are so many things – halal meals served on airlines. This is all part of Sharia.”

For a more in depth article about sharia please read the following article by Bill Muehlenberg.........
Halal Choices - What is Sharia?

Cadbury will sell a mountain of chocolates this Easter, as it does every Easter. It has been careful to make sure that its products are certified as halal, even though it is not necessary. Hundreds of companies in Australia do the same. Halal certification has become a big business.

The essence of halal is that any food is forbidden to Muslims if it includes blood, pork, alcohol, the flesh of carnivores or carrion, or comes from an animal which has not been slaughtered in the correct manner, which includes having its throat slit. Food labelled as halal invariably involves the payment of a fee. It does not extend to chocolate but Cadbury lists 71 products which are halal, ranging from Dairy Milk to Freddo frogs to Red Tulip chocolates. The website also states: ''We do not have any kosher-certified products.''

What troubled Smith was the extensive payments for halal certification for hundreds of products that did not require any halal process. She then discovered examples of overt pressure.
''A wholesale chicken supplier in Perth lost $120,000 a year over three years because he wasn't halal certified,'' she said. ''The chickens he sold had been ritually slaughtered and were halal, but because he would not pay for certification he found all his outlets were forced to boycott him. He was outraged and held out for three years but had to give in to save his business. … Isn't that illegal?''
Halal mainly involves meat. Much of the non-meat food supply is intrinsically halal, and thus does not require certification, including milk, honey, fish, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts and grains. Yet many producers and suppliers of such products pay for halal certification.

Read more: Halal Easter eggs and cat food: where big money meets religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies