Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 02:54 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times

Advertisements

The OP article doesn't deny that APG is real. They say it is real, but not as much as current models predict. They think the change is probably not enough to be harmful to civilization, and may even be beneficial in some way.

Those elderly astronauts are NOT deniers.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:54 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What exactly do "climatologists" major in or study"?
Manned spaceflight. It's a bit unconventional.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:55 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can someone fill me in on how being retired from the Apollo program qualifies you as a climatologist? And does it work in reverse - do we need to bring in climatologists to build spacecraft?

Gee........................ they are physicists and engineers.

All it takes is a little knowledge of math and thermodynamics to understand that "global warming" is insanity. Fortunately, these men possess these skills and can demonstrate that IF we burned ALL of the fossil fuels in existence, we would barely budge the world temperature.

Global warming loons have little, if any, background in mathematics or physics to understand such things. Some idiot here was ranting about some 1.7 10e27 J or some amount of energy that was going to boil the ocean. A minimal knowledge of the volume of water in the oceans (not even measuring all of the fresh water as well), and the specific heat of water revealed that IF the assumption was correct, that the temp of the oceans would increase .1 degrees or so over 50 years!

As long as there are idiots devoid of any physics or mathematics, and what constitutes valid scientific studies, there will always be global warming alarmists.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That turns out not to be the case. Once Apollo 11 had landed and the US had shown up the Russkies, support for the space program dropped like a spent S-1C. This is why there's a scrapped Saturn V stack to display in Houston - it was actual flight hardware, but the public didn't want an Apollo 18.
Because the interest eventually waned doesn't make my statement anywhere close to not true.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The OP article doesn't deny that APG is real. They say it is real, but not as much as current models predict. They think the change is probably not enough to be harmful to civilization, and may even be beneficial in some way.

Those elderly astronauts are NOT deniers.
The denial comes in when noted that things like cap and trade and carbon credits will do nothing for anything other than a few people's bank accounts.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The denial comes in when noted that things like cap and trade and carbon credits will do nothing for anything other than a few people's bank accounts.
It's hard to say what climatologists in general have to say about that. They're almost all agreed that there IS AGW, but I don't think there are any studies about whether they are agreed that it is so urgent that some international intervention is in order right now.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's hard to say what climatologists in general have to say about that. They're almost all agreed that there IS AGW, but I don't think there are any studies about whether they are agreed that it is so urgent that some international intervention is in order right now.
No, there is no agreement on any urgency and there is really very little we can do in an urgent manner even if we wanted to.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Turtles? Are you blonde? A climatologist studies long-term weather trends, with specialized training in meteorology.
I was hoping you would say they studied thermal dynamics and physics and math - like retired NASA scientists.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Clinate change deniers are scientifically illiterate. What I like best about these clowns is when they find one of the 3% of scorned climate change researchers taking money/bribes from Exxon and trumpet their "science" as "proof" that there is no evidence mankind is causing climate change.

As I've said before, such ignorance would be humorous if climate change were not so dire.
And those that claim man is causing climate change/AGW/GW whatever term is in vogue, is intellectually dishonest.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:59 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
And humans contribute to that change....Glad you agree.
In theory. That has yet to be proven as fact.

Nice try.

But, feel free to give all your money to fight the good fight. I will keep my money, if you don't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies