Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Top criteria for supporting a presidential candidate;

1. Reduction in government spending, particularly at the federal level.
2. Reduction in government power.
3. Preservation of individual rights.
4. Reduction in government regulation.
5. Elimination of federal revenue sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Most important that it be a Democrat
That should be in the "top 5 voting mistakes" list.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It will mostly be economic and the first one who admits new regulations and government jobs are created solely for job growth stats gets an extra point. I'll also be watching for ideas about income disparities, growth, foreign affairs, etc. Anyone who mentions "family values" will be out , as will anyone limiting healthcare, including BC, to women (never men, always woman) or runs on a religious/prolife platform. Those are not issues.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
It would be nice if someone could reduce the partisan division, and political sabotage, but unfortunately I think the Dems will seek revenge next time there is a Republican president.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
1. Take Rick Perry's idea of cutting the overall government by about 75%, add term limits.
2. Cut taxes. No one should have half their pay check going to the government; 5% towards federal, 5% towards state, 5% towards SS, 5% towards Medicare/Medicaid, 20% total.
3. Incentives for large corporations who keep work in the United States.
4. Repeal Obamacare.
5. Cut foreign aid by 75%.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:28 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
There is no mention of ending the war. What happen to all the war protesters. Everyone thought obama was gonna end the war with is charisma. Ha, he can't even get gitmo closed.
The U.S. war in Iraq ended on December 18, 2011. The U.S. war in Afghanistan is ending this year.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:39 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
I lean right anyway and if we don't have a Republican President in 2016 it will be become extraordinarily difficult to roll back or substantially alter the ACA, so that's pretty much that regardless of the two candidates' other positions.

In primary terms I'm probably not going to bother registering with either party (I live in a Democratic state so I'd probably register as a Democrat if I did register with either party so I could have a meaningful primary vote if I bothered to do so at all).

Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
No Amnesty.
Less Spending.
Smaller Government.
Bring the troops home from various overseas countries.
Overhaul the American Justice system.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:56 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I remember Obama being criticized the first time he was elected for making healthcare reform his Number One priority when the majority said Number 1 is Jobs.

So what are your Top 5 issues for 2016? I know current events can make your priorities change before Election Day.

Primary Only:

Do you vote mostly for a Presidential primary candidate based on their experience with issues important to you (primary) or their campaign promises on issues important to you (primary) or because the other candidates aren't up to the job (primary) so your pick is by default or because you like the candidate's demeanor/personality/appearance/values (primary)?

If it's all of the above, give percents to each that total 100%.

1. Economy
2. Economy
3. Economy
4. Term limits
5. Obamacare

Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Still waiting for the first right-winger to post a list none of which increases their own personal comfort and luxury at the expense of the basic needs of others.
I've read several such posts - where have you been looking?

I know you're probably a paid shill, but let me try (again) to reason with you.

The highlighted section of your post is referring to something they already earned for themselves, mostly by hard work. The underlined part is insisting people who earned their comfort and luxury must give that up to provide the basic needs of others.

The liberals love their mantras, like "social justice", but why is it always at the expense of personal liberty and freedom? When did the Democrats become a party so against individual rights?

Here's my 5 top wishes:

1. Term Limits (we must remove the career from politics)
2. Repeal the 17th Amendment
3. Gut ACA, keeping the pre-existing condition clause, and make ALL INSURANCE (life, auto, home, health) PORTABLE! This would drive prices into the ground and raise services sky high.
4. Cut overseas defense (close 20% of the most unnecessary bases) and use those resources to secure our borders.
5. Repatriate the $7-$10T dollars being held overseas by giving corporations a one-time tax break, with the caveat they create 100 new jobs for every billion they save in taxes. This could translate into hundreds of thousands of new jobs.

There ya go Buu, nothing there to keep my own stuff.

Last edited by surfman; 04-07-2014 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies