U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 11:12 AM

8,795 posts, read 6,511,746 times

Advertisements

Any tax scholars here? I have what I think is a simple question and would like to hear the opinions of those who practice or study constitutional/tax law, (Federal and State).

So, I live in state (A) which has law (A).
But I travel to state (B) that has law (B).

State laws (A) and (B) are in opposition to each other.

When I am in State (A), I follow the law of State (A).
When I am in State (B), I cannot follow the law of State (A), but must adhere to law (B).

When I am out of the country, no state has dominion over what I do - I am essentially a free agent.

So, if all of that premise is correct, then I have the following question?

If I am working in State (A), I owe taxes to State (A).
I pay home related taxes to State (A) because that is where my home is.

If I am working in State (B) and not using any services of State (A) what mechanism gives State (A) the right to tax my earnings in state (B)? Is it just that they started demanding it and people said OK, here it is?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:43 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,752,809 times
I'm curious. Do you live in California and work in a neighboring state? From what I understand, those who live in South Lake Tahoe, CA, and work in Stateline, NV, must pay income tax to CA. I don't know how CA gets away with this, if true. We have no income tax in NV, so maybe that creates a loophole.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:52 AM

33,031 posts, read 24,052,850 times
The feds tax ALL income of citizens, from all sources, foreign or domestic. I assume this same principle is what allows a state to tax the out-of-state income of its residents. California has a reputation for being aggressive in collecting taxes.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:00 PM

8,391 posts, read 5,703,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Any tax scholars here? I have what I think is a simple question and would like to hear the opinions of those who practice or study constitutional/tax law, (Federal and State).

So, I live in state (A) which has law (A).
But I travel to state (B) that has law (B).

State laws (A) and (B) are in opposition to each other.

When I am in State (A), I follow the law of State (A).
When I am in State (B), I cannot follow the law of State (A), but must adhere to law (B).

When I am out of the country, no state has dominion over what I do - I am essentially a free agent.

So, if all of that premise is correct, then I have the following question?

If I am working in State (A), I owe taxes to State (A).
I pay home related taxes to State (A) because that is where my home is.

If I am working in State (B) and not using any services of State (A) what mechanism gives State (A) the right to tax my earnings in state (B)? Is it just that they started demanding it and people said OK, here it is?
The reality is you are using resources in both states, but I think, at least this was the case when I lived in Indiana and worked in Illinois, you only pay income taxes to the state where you reside.

So basically I recall on my check both states would collect income taxes, but when I filed a state income tax return with the state of Illinois, I'd get all or nearly all of that money back.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 PM

8,795 posts, read 6,511,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I'm curious. Do you live in California and work in a neighboring state? From what I understand, those who live in South Lake Tahoe, CA, and work in Stateline, NV, must pay income tax to CA. I don't know how CA gets away with this, if true. We have no income tax in NV, so maybe that creates a loophole.
No, but Generally, I work all over the country for six months to a year at a time and then return to South Carolina.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:21 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,752,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No, but Generally, I work all over the country for six months to a year at a time and then return to South Carolina.
Which states are taxing your income, and what are their residency requirements? That's where I'd look.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:34 PM

36,578 posts, read 47,214,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Which states are taxing your income, and what are their residency requirements? That's where I'd look.

Each state is different. When my oldest daughter went to college in PA her PA wages were subject to the PA State Income Tax while what she earned in MD was not. MD, on the other hand, taxed her on both her MD and PA wages until she established PA residency. Which the college did not recognize for tuition purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies