Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
The problem with the AR-15 is not how it looks but just the fact that it's a weapon with the power of a rifle that can shoot as quickly as a pistol. There is no valid civilian use for such a weapon.

And yes, I am qualified shotgun, M-14, M-16, and M-9 in the USN. Now that I'm a civilian, gun ownership is neither required nor desired.
Yes there is a valid civilian use.

Sporting events using AR-15's, M-1A's. Called the national matches.

CMP - National Match Spectator Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Full auto weapons were common until 1934. After that, they were taxed to the point of being non-existent.

As far as owning anti-aircraft artillery, it's legal as long as it was built before 1984 and listed in the national machine gun registry. In fact, there's a very nice one pictured in this article - About 28,690 machine guns are registered in Texas - San Antonio Express-News

The Supreme Court has made very bad decisions in the past and therefore I put no faith in them. The Constitution is as clear as can be on this matter. If you want to cite past cases then go ahead. When the feds start round people up without a trial, Korematsu v. United States gives them a precedent to do so.
To transfer a legal NFA weapon (National Firearms Act) from one person to another requires the use of a Title III NFA licensed dealer to obtain approval from ATF and the payment of $200. That's all.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
It isn't, as long as you are in possesion of a class III federal Firearms license.
The average person doesn't need the Title III license. They have to obtain the weapon from a Title III dealer who will run the paperwork through ATF for the buyer. The buyer has to meet all state and Federal regulations for the ownership of such weapons. For instance, you have to get ATF approval to cross state lines with the weapon and the reason for taking the weapon across state lines. The owner also has to plan his route as some states do not allow the ownership of NFA weapons.
Quote:
I can, as long as I have the Class III license, am willing to go through extended background checks, pay a 200 dollar tax stamp, and Register my firearms with the BATFE
Somewhat correct. The average person can own NFA weapons as long as they do pass the background checks and a Title III dealer runs the paperwork through ATF along with the $200. When ATF approves the paperwork, the weapon is transferred to the purchaser. The paperwork will have a $200 tax stamp attached and that is the owners proof of legal ownership of the weapon.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The average person doesn't need the Title III license. They have to obtain the weapon from a Title III dealer who will run the paperwork through ATF for the buyer. The buyer has to meet all state and Federal regulations for the ownership of such weapons. For instance, you have to get ATF approval to cross state lines with the weapon and the reason for taking the weapon across state lines. The owner also has to plan his route as some states do not allow the ownership of NFA weapons.

Somewhat correct. The average person can own NFA weapons as long as they do pass the background checks and a Title III dealer runs the paperwork through ATF along with the $200. When ATF approves the paperwork, the weapon is transferred to the purchaser. The paperwork will have a $200 tax stamp attached and that is the owners proof of legal ownership of the weapon.
Ah, well I guess I learned something today. So what you are saying, is that I don't have to have the classIII license, I just have to buy the weapon from a dealer who does?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If I remember correctly, about as many people drown in their bathtub each year as are killed by assault rifles.

Maybe we should ban bathtubs and become an all shower nation. It's for the children.
Go ahead and post a reference to support your straw man argument...

Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I really don't like it when I say "If I remember correctly", which hopefully would imply to you that I don't feel like digging up the stats myself. You are certainly welcome to, but I don't feel like doing it so if you want the them you should spend about 3 minutes google them.

But that's okay, I'll post some secondary sources, but if you want originally sources please feel free to look them up yourself. Thanks.

(Also, I don't think you are using the phrase "straw man argument" correctly.)

Quote:
The number of murders in the U.S. in 2011 committed with rifles: 323.
‘Assault’ rifles are not involved in many U.S. murders: A look at the data - Capitol Report - MarketWatch

Look at this chart, 403 people die each year by drowning in a bathtub on average.
Drowning — United States, 2005–2009

So in the U.S. about 20% more people are killed by drowning in bathtubs each year than by those scary looking assault rifles.

Your welcome.

Edit: That number is for ALL rifles, not just assault rifles.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8

Last edited by Boxcar Overkill; 04-06-2014 at 11:30 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,732,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I really don't like it when I say "If I remember correctly", which hopefully would imply to you that I don't feel like digging up the stats myself. You are certainly welcome to, but I don't feel like doing it so if you want the them you should spend about 3 minutes google them.

But that's okay, I'll post some secondary sources, but if you want originally sources please feel free to look them up yourself. Thanks.

(Also, I don't think you are using the phrase "straw man argument" correctly.)

‘Assault’ rifles are not involved in many U.S. murders: A look at the data - Capitol Report - MarketWatch

Look at this chart, 403 people die each year by drowning in a bathtub on average.
Drowning — United States, 2005–2009

So in the U.S. about 20% more people are killed by drowning in bathtubs each year than by those scary looking assault rifles.

Your welcome.
Here's 2012 data from the FBI FBI — Table 20

302 deaths from rifles total.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:05 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
WHy is it a straw man argument, because you disagree with it....

Old 04-07-2014, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
The AR-15 style weapons are very popular these days. My preferences are for bolt action Mauser, a M1A and the 1911 .45 Colt.

There are two parts to the gun banners attitude. One is they are frightened by the thought of having to personally defend themselves and, second, they desperately want to keep guns away from poor and lower income (low class) people.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,908,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Are they following an absolutist's version of what the second amendment ought to be? Probably not. Should certain Rights have checks and balances? If not, than the right to free speech should also include screaming fire in a movie theater, and it should also protect slander and Libel as well, correct? So in reality, the government is not following the 1st amendment either....
Yelling "FIRE" when there is none or slandering someone is a criminal act. Owning something should never be criminal.

Quote:
and that is because we as a society have determined that certain infringments on certain rights are acceptable in order to maintain a functional and operational society. So how do we decide where the line should be drawn? I think we have to examine the intent of the right in order to make that determination. Certainly the franmers never intended for you to be able to slander someone or bear false witness against them. They intended for a free exchange of thoughts and ideas to be possible without the fear of repercussion. So ask yourself, does making slander and libel illegal contradict with the intent of the first amendment? I think you'll find the answer is no.
When an act of one person violates, interferes, infringes or or blatantly crushes someone elses rights. Making an object illegal because it MIGHT be used in an illegal manner is just stupid.

Quote:
So what was the intent of the 2A? The truth is, the framers intended for the people to have the tools capable of defending Liberty if necessary. Does making full auto weapons and heavy artillery hard for the average citizen to get contradict the framers intent? I suppose the answer to that question is more subjective than straightforward. In my opinion, the answer is no. We as a country entrust the judges who make up the Supreme Court to make these determinations, and they have determined that weapons that are not in common use, are strange or unusual, or are not ideal for lawful purposes, to not be protected under the Second Amendment. Likewise, the 2A doesn't say that the gov't can restrict access to arms to felons or the mentally ill, but did the founders intend for these type's of people to own arms? The answer is no, and that can be backed up by the statements of the founders themselves, as they believed that "peaceable citizens ought not be barred the use of arms", so it stands to reason that they believed a restriction against the use of arms by people who were not peaceable is more than reasonable.
I don't. They are humans the same as me and they make mistakes. The biggest in the last 100 years has been the Constitutionality of internment camps during WWII. Because no Congress has had the guts to impeach one of them, each new member brings more and more of their personal agenda into their rulings. Per the Constitution, these are not lifetime appointments. Article III, Section 1:
The judicial Power of the United States shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.
Quote:
I think the 2008 and 2010 decisions by the Supreme Court are fair and honest, and they strike a delicate balance. Obviously there are going to be others who disagree, That said, I don't think the Supreme Court's work on the matter is over. They've yet to determine the Constitutionality of laws pertaining to a citizens right to "bear" arms outside the home and whether or not a citizen's right to defend themselves extends beyond their front door.
My right and everyone's right to life is inherent and does not end when they leave their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies