Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times

Advertisements

Your local drug dealers don't "Get rich" at all. They spend the money as they get it on their "bling" which keeps them in a constant state of having to deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 01:24 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,991,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
"Do drug dealers in the ghetto still get rich?"

I answered that and my answers was, they never really did yesterday, nor today. It's not real, all smoke and mirrors and does not end well. The point of getting rich is to enjoy your money. I doubt many drugs dealers had, or have any sustained enjoyment no matter how much they make.

So your implication that at one time in history they got rich, was wrong. They never did in my opinion.

Even the major drug lords of South America who are multibillionaires do not truly enjoy their riches.
You are correct. They may live in the lime for a while but eventually will get caught and with mandatory min sentences thanks to the drug war why even do it? I guess for the little flame that one can get living the high life. I guess some just grow up with no aspirations of family and a good life and just give up and go to the dark side. I blame their parents mostly though. Kids need to be led down the right path and many aren't anymore. Just a shame on society. Fatherless children don't have much of a shot IMO.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:36 PM

39,838 posts, read 26,470,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The decline in violent crime has far more to do with reduced exposure to lead than it does the end to the War on Drugs. This has been correlated in every country it has been studied in.
Good lord, are there people that actually BELIEVE that crap?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The decline in violent crime has far more to do with reduced exposure to lead than it does the end to the War on Drugs. This has been correlated in every country it has been studied in.
And don't forget the prisons --- with more criminals being kept in prison instead of being released through a revolving door like in the past, crime goes down.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:02 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,875,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Your local drug dealers don't "Get rich" at all. They spend the money as they get it on their "bling" which keeps them in a constant state of having to deal.
For a few years there them idiots buying bling as investments were doing a lot better than my IRA and 401K.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:10 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,583,852 times
I really don't think the drugs money is there anymore. I mean you do not get the big time drug lords like you did in the 80s. The bottom line you has guys who only dealt in the ghetto and still became rich. I personally don't think the millennial generation is as into the drug game like the previous generations. And I think a lot less people are on drugs like they were on the 80s. You have to remember the 80s was the post industrial America. I think the depression in these cities was fairly new, and people turned to drugs more. The 90s was a continuation of it. But the new generation seems tie have leas to be depressed behind.

I also think the government and mob control thru distribution tighter than they once did. In the 80s it seemed like the drug game was less controlled and anyone could get drugs and sell them for large profits. Just seems like you need to be con ected with the mob to get any real money, but in the 80s this probably was less the case.

I just don't think there is much monetary reward in dealing anymore. Most dealers around these days are small timers, just getting a small amount of drugs of their hands. They don't seem to be moving as much product as they once were. This could be due to less demand overall. Or too little drugs vs too many dealers, so dealers get pocket change. it's clearly not the money maker it was in the 80s for sure.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,636 times
No more so than drug dealers in any other location - and the low-level dealers never get rich off of it. If you want to see the people who actually do get rich off of drugs, you've always had to look to the distributors, not the low-level guys.

In any event, the level of drug use and sales has been essentially the same throughout the US for decades now, violence generally has little or nothing to do with the matter.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,861,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
No more so than drug dealers in any other location - and the low-level dealers never get rich off of it. If you want to see the people who actually do get rich off of drugs, you've always had to look to the distributors, not the low-level guys.
The franchisees do very well.

But, the franchises are very expensive.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,471,947 times
Oh there is plenty of money in drug dealing still. It's just not the wild west anymore.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:06 PM

3,557 posts, read 4,093,033 times
Watch Steve Levitt's McDonalds vs drugs. Dealers on the street were better off working at McDonalds, earning about $3.50 a hour selling drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies