Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should all Americans have healthcare?
Yes 104 80.00%
No 26 20.00%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Everyone should have basic preventative and catastrophic care. End of discussion.
If you don't want preventative/wellness tests, you cannot refuse it? Why do you think all these costs have skyrocketed? Wasting money on preventative care. I am waiting for the day they will drop your insurance if you don't comply with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
Though a hot topic politically, this is not a political or financial question. It is a moral one.
Basically, should an American confidently know s/he has timely, readily accessible healthcare when needed.
The goal is to see just how far apart we are.

If we have common ground, common purpose, shared values, I believe we can find ways to get through the details - through healthy debate and negotiation. Freedom takes work!
Should they, sure. Just like everybody "should" have a place to live in. or "should" use seat belts, or "should obey all laws, or 'should" do and have a lot of things.

Must is a different animal altogether.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If you don't want preventative/wellness tests, you cannot refuse it? Why do you think all these costs have skyrocketed? Wasting money on preventative care. I am waiting for the day they will drop your insurance if you don't comply with this.
Insurance costs rise because of ridiculous views like yours. When you do eventually have major illness that could have been prevented and/or treated early with preventive/wellness tests, the cost of treating you will be astronomical. And my insurance company will raise my rates to help cover their costs of paying for your treatment which could have been avoided if you had an iota of common sense.

America thanks you.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:10 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Stabilization sometimes requires surgery and hospitalization.

Think serious car accidents and street violence.

The ER does not treat Cancer or heart disease, the top killers
Car accidents costs are cover by car insurance in most states.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The current system is not perfect but fixable. Obama-care has become a disaster as predicted.
The majority of insured people are covered by their employer's large group insurance plans which comply with ACA legislation. In other words, Obamacare.

The media has chosen to focus on a minority, the indidividual plan market. That same media tends to omits facts that are contrary to the message they want to deliver.

Germany has the oldest national healthcare system in the world dating back to 1875. It has been and will continue to be continuously reformed. There is no such thing as a perfect healthcare system, anywhere.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The majority of insured people are covered by their employer's large group insurance plans which comply with ACA legislation. In other words, Obamacare.

The media has chosen to focus on a minority, the indidividual plan market. That same media tends to omits facts that are contrary to the message they want to deliver.

Germany has the oldest national healthcare system in the world dating back to 1875. It has been and will continue to be continuously reformed. There is no such thing as a perfect healthcare system, anywhere.
And why shouldn't they because Obamacare was passed just for them although it affects everyone.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

So what. Healthcare meant nothing in 1787 where most died young and they really didn't know much about medicine anyway. They had no idea what healthcare would mean to us in the future. The Constitution was the blueprint for us but we don't live in those times and have to adjust to the time we live in now.
Back then if you got sick, you died.

A simple absessed tooth had the ability to kill, given the absence of antibiotics.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Insurance costs rise because of ridiculous views like yours. When you do eventually have major illness that could have been prevented and/or treated early with preventive/wellness tests, the cost of treating you will be astronomical. And my insurance company will raise my rates to help cover their costs of paying for your treatment which could have been avoided if you had an iota of common sense.

America thanks you.
Have you ever known somebody who refused to be treated? They were told they would die if they did not have this or that procedure, and just walked out of the hospital. They accepted death. Not everyone thinks the way you do. No astronomical costs trying to keep somebody alive who doesn't want to become a "science experience".

People cannot choose to do this? Why do we have Living Wills, or even Assisted Sucide then?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Have you ever known somebody who refused to be treated? They were told they would die if they did not have this or that procedure, and just walked out of the hospital. They accepted death. Not everyone thinks the way you do. No astronomical costs trying to keep somebody alive who doesn't want to become a "science experience".

People cannot choose to do this? Why do we have Living Wills, or even Assisted Sucide then?
Oh, I see. Your personal health program consists of ignoring wellness and prevention, and then, if you develop a condition that was preventable, you'll commit suicide.

What an odd way to live. But to each his own, I suppose.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Oh, I see. Your personal health program consists of ignoring wellness and prevention, and then, if you develop a condition that was preventable, you'll commit suicide.

What an odd way to live. But to each his own, I suppose.
"and the soul afraid of dying, who never learns to live". Americans today are so afraid off being sick and dying and have taken this Kool Aid from the medical industry. They feed this fear in order to make more money. You only have to watch all the TV ads to see this. I am Doctor bla, bla, bla. Ask your doctor about this Pill or that Pill. WE can help you. Nothing but another Big Business. Nobody in this world has ever escaped dying, at some point in time. Some sooner. Some later. It is inevitable.

I doubt many American today would even know what the hell I am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies