U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM

6,369 posts, read 4,644,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Amy Carter, right, the daughter of President Jimmy Carter, attends class at Stevens Elementary School in the 1970s. Courtesy of the Sumner School Museum

For some reason, the photo can't be posted, but you can look up images for Amy Carter going to public school in D.C. when Jimmy Carter was president. He made it a point to send her to public school. I personally feel that First Children should go to private school for security reasons, so I do not hold it against the Obamas for sending their kids to The Sidwell School.
I had forgotten that Carter sent Amy to public school, though I'm sure 1976 D.C. was a far better place than 2014 D.C.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 PM

11,465 posts, read 18,719,484 times
When i was a kid school lunches were a luxury and they were good too, we brown bagged it, our Moms were not a bunch of lazy slobs, we were poor but we had breakfast lunch and dinner. If the parents are paying for the lunch then they should complain if it doesn't meet their expectations but if they are getting it free they should just be glad to eat.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 PM

29,792 posts, read 13,041,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
This is appalling of what these school children in public schools are having on their lunch plates compared to what Obama's daughters are getting at their school. As you will notice, there are some upset people in the comments section and I don't blame them.

Students Fed Up With Michelle Obama’s School Lunch Overhaul

Here's what Sasha and Malia Obama are eating at school...

vs what your kids are eating.

Adrienne's Corner: Here's what Sasha and Malia Obama are eating at school...

Why is it appalling? This is part of what tuition pays for. And why would a parent be upset because private schools may provide better lunches? And if you don't like the lunches then pack your kids lunch. What's the big deal.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 PM

38,227 posts, read 24,105,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Some parents can't.
Ah...why? Are they too lazy to be parents and pack their kid's lunch?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 PM

20,275 posts, read 9,218,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I had forgotten that Carter sent Amy to public school, though I'm sure 1976 D.C. was a far better place than 2014 D.C.
Probably not. Crime was much worse then.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:05 PM

24,566 posts, read 38,378,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Ah...why? Are they too lazy to be parents and pack their kid's lunch?
Why do people keep asking me that question when the answer is obvious?

It's one of two things.

A.) They can't (due to disability, lack of money, etc.)
B.) They won't (because they're lazy)

Pick one. Or both.

But don't ask me questions with obvious answers.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 PM

78,872 posts, read 44,089,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Well then tell the people not happy with regular school lunches to send their children to a private school, just as the Obama's do. You are comparing apples and stones - not even apples and oranges.
I believe President Bush's daughters attended public school, graduating from my old HS.
Both Clinton and Obama sure push the public education, jacking with it all they could. All while their kids go to a private academy.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I believe President Bush's daughters attended public school, graduating from my old HS.
Both Clinton and Obama sure push the public education, jacking with it all they could. All while their kids go to a private academy.
They also attended two private schools, in Dallas and Austin. Not judging, just stating a fact. You are correct that they eventually graduated from a public school.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 PM

78,872 posts, read 44,089,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
No human being with any common sense would enroll in DC public schools. I'm sure some of the presidents have had their kids in public school, but I bet no president in the last 50 years has.

How much was that bet?

Carter
Bush

Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How much was that bet?

Carter
Bush
Carter yes, Bush no. His daughters were already in college by the time he became President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies