Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:33 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times

Advertisements

Why don't children bring a healthy lunch to school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Why don't children bring a healthy lunch to school?
Because their parents are unable or unwilling to pack a lunch for them. For many children, the breakfast and lunch they get at school will be the only meals they can rely on all week. Sad, but true. What is the alternative...letting them starve?

Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Well, at least Flotus didn't push for Halal-compliant meals....in order to please Potus.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Exactly; she doesn't.

I've seen the school lunch menus published by my local school district and they read more like the Sidwell Friends menu than what's on those trays as pictured. One parent in my neighborhood is often incensed by her daughter's school lunch choices and posts photos taken by her daughter of her school lunch. There is always far more food on the tray than what is in those pictures and it looks much more appetizing. It's not always the healthiest food, but there's definitely more of it than what's in those pictures.
Every school has some moms who are obsessed with lunch. It ranges from demands for peanut free schools, to too much food to not enough food to too much food kids won't eat to the need for more vegan choices and on and on.

My position was and remains, if you don't like it, brown bag it.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Every school has some moms who are obsessed with lunch. It ranges from demands for peanut free schools, to too much food to not enough food to too much food kids won't eat to the need for more vegan choices and on and on.

My position was and remains, if you don't like it, brown bag it.
Some parents can't.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:57 PM

129 posts, read 101,197 times
Quote:
Some parents can't.
If they lack the ability to put together a lunch, how did they even get that far in life anyway?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
If they lack the ability to put together a lunch, how did they even get that far in life anyway?
Don't ask me, I don't have kids.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:05 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,409 times
I don't now how the 1st Lady has the time to make up the lunch menu for every public school in the country but my hat is off to her because she has a lot on her "plate"

Old 04-06-2014, 06:06 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,852,214 times
Quote:
Do you think if Bush's daughters had still been school-age when he became President, they would have gone to DC public schools? That'd be a big fat NO, good buddy. And I wouldn't have blamed them for it either.

No human being with any common sense would enroll in DC public schools. I'm sure some of the presidents have had their kids in public school, but I bet no president in the last 50 years has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
Indeed. Kinda falls under the old adage of "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em".

I doubt the average parent knows much -- if anything -- about the nutritional requirements of growing kids in terms of a breakdown of proteins/carbs/fats.

The larger problem is that they also likely lack the FINANCIAL ability to put together a lunch.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:07 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,863 times
The OP seriously believes that the pictured "lunches" aren't jokes? A hamburger and half of a kiwi? A tortilla with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese?

Use your brains, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies