Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:28 PM

129 posts, read 101,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How can hand grenades be responsible for violence since they are inanimate objects.
Uh they're not responsible, are you saying they pull their own pins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
How can hand grenades be responsible for violence since they are inanimate objects.
Absolutely right. They won't explode on their own.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
Uh they're not responsible, are you saying they pull their own pins?
Why don't we give hand grenades to all citizens, they are all reasonable and we need not worry since they are inanimate objects.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:47 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Why don't we give hand grenades to all citizens, they are all reasonable and we need not worry since they are inanimate objects.
Sounds good to me!!! Where do I get in line?

Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It's not hard at all to argue against this suggestion. Most gun deaths in the US are suicides.
Suicides account for most gun deaths | Pew Research Center

Yet there are many other implements used for suicide, such as ropes, razors, and bedsheets. Would you be "far more concerned" about a Surgeon General who neglected to discuss banning ropes, razors, and bedsheets?
Suicide itself is a public health issue, regardless of the means used to accomplish the act. I'd be concerned about any prospective Surgeon General who didn't understand the public health implications of suicide.

Again, I'd also be concerned about his inability to recognize gun deaths as a public health issue; regardless of whether those deaths were classified as murder, homicide, or self-inflicted.

Deaths by automobile occur, of course, overwhelmingly with no human intent whatsoever. Maybe a handful of suicides, and a very rare murder by vehicle (usually an angry ex-lover!) mixed-in. Yet, such deaths remain an acknowledged public health issue.

I wouldn't be concerned about the Surgeon General's personal opinions about gun laws, automobile safety features, The Federal Reserve Banking System, diplomatic relations with Ecuador, who he picked to win The Final Four--or any other matter in which the position holds no legislative or regulatory oversight.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I would worry if you had one, because contrary to what you said you are definitely not "reasonable", nor responsible. If you accidentally blew yourself up which you probably would, it wouldn't be the grenade's fault, it would be your fault. I know it's a foreign concept for liberals to accept responsibility, but that's just the way the world works.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Suicide itself is a public health issue, regardless of the means used to accomplish the act. I'd be concerned about any prospective Surgeon General who didn't understand the public health implications of suicide.

Again, I'd also be concerned about his inability to recognize gun deaths as a public health issue; regardless of whether those deaths were classified as murder, homicide, or self-inflicted.

Deaths by automobile occur, of course, overwhelmingly with no human intent whatsoever. Maybe a handful of suicides, and a very rare murder by vehicle (usually an angry ex-lover!) mixed-in. Yet, such deaths remain an acknowledged public health issue.

I wouldn't be concerned about the Surgeon General's personal opinions about gun laws, automobile safety features, The Federal Reserve Banking System, diplomatic relations with Ecuador, who he picked to win The Final Four--or any other matter in which the position holds no legislative or regulatory oversight.
All reasonable comments. But we know the NRA thought police will do whatever it takes and extort politicians to prevent qualified individuals from being approved.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
All reasonable comments. But we know the NRA thought police will do whatever it takes and extort politicians to prevent qualified individuals from being approved.
I don't know why you keep saying "thought police". They don't care what you think, they only care when you try to take away our constitutional rights, and rightly so. We're not going to ignore it because doing so would admit defeat.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
I don't know why you keep saying "thought police". They don't care what you think, they only care when you try to take away our constitutional rights, and rightly so. We're not going to ignore it because doing so would admit defeat.
Can you show any instance where the doctor tried to take away anybody's constitutional right?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I must have missed it. What Federal gun control bills has the president introduced and signed into law in the last 6 years?
If the question gives you pause, I will give you a hint. None! Zip! NADA!
As a bonus question,
What gun control bill has any surgeon general in the history of the nation sponsored, signed, passed or submitted to congress?

I guess the other thread started about dirty seditious liberals wanting to ban all guns hit home with too much truth so you had to start another one along the same lines.
The debate may be done on a federal level but the states are taking swift action to pass such legislation. MD is one example but why is it still the 4th most violent in the country when such legislation has passed in a state ruled by liberal democrats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies