Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If Harrier can't pay the bills then he won't, and neither will anyone else.

We all have to go sometime.

When Harrier is no longer required by law to have health insurance, then he will obtain HI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
In short, Harrier is a certified leech upon society.

Harrier should thank Obama for the relatively easy open enrollment provisions of Obamacare. The only Republican plan Coburn-Burr-Hatch would make it extremely expensive for Harrier to get insurance. It would be voluntary of course but insurance carriers wouldnt cover pre-existing conditions and if you were without insurance for 18 consecutive months they could charge you what ever the felt. Harrier will be thanking Obama sometime in the next five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
In short, Harrier is a certified leech upon society.
How so?

Harrier just said that if he could not pay medical bills that he would not accept any medical help.

What part of that did you not understand?

Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 AM

15,059 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then why shouldn't they have access to healthcare insurance?
Yes, and let's give the rapist and robber fellons BMW's to drive .... why shouldn't they have transportation? Let's give them free shelter, and free food, and free movie tickets too ... then a brilliant liberal will propose a cost saving measure ... instead of free movie tickets ... they all get 40" plasma TVs and a free account with netflicks, which will save money!!!!

The insanity knows no boundary with you people ... it just gets crazier and crazier.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:17 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
To a liberal, "access" means that someone else is paying for the health insurance, usually "the rich".
That's not at all what it means to me.

As a self-employed person, I simply wanted the right to purchase private health insurance on the same basis as corporate employees, instead of being shut out due to a pre-existing condition.

Folks (like me) who aren't interested in a subsidy certainly aren't forced to take it.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
If Harrier can't pay the bills then he won't, and neither will anyone else.

We all have to go sometime.

When Harrier is no longer required by law to have health insurance, then he will obtain HI.
I applaud your independence!

Last fall a friend of mine got nailed by a poisonous snake out in his back yard. I ran him up to the hospital because he was in lot of pain. His leg was swelling up like a balloon and they wanted to give him that anti-venom treatment.

Now my friend was on of those dummies who bought medical insurance despite knowing that he would soon be required by law to have it. In his case it worked out well since the anti-venom treatment wound up running around $140,000.

However, I remember thinking there are probably people without insurance who would show up and not even have the common decency to say, "Skip the treatment, Doc, I don't have $140K handy so just let the poison do what it will."

Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Thank you.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Last fall a friend of mine got nailed by a poisonous snake out in his back yard. I ran him up to the hospital because he was in lot of pain. His leg was swelling up like a balloon and they wanted to give him that anti-venom treatment.

Now my friend was on of those dummies who bought medical insurance despite knowing that he would soon be required by law to have it. In his case it worked out well since the anti-venom treatment wound up running around $140,000.

However, I remember thinking there are probably people without insurance who would show up and not even have the common decency to say, "Skip the treatment, Doc, I don't have $140K handy so just let the poison do what it will."

And most hospital bills end up being settled for much much less.

Here's a snake anti-venom story.
$89K got reduced to $20K with the patient paying $5K.
And the vial of anti-venom retails for $750.

SnakeBite Causes $89,000 Hospital Bill for North Carolina Couple - TIME

Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And most hospital bills end up being settled for much much less.

Here's a snake anti-venom story.
$89K got reduced to $20K with the patient paying $5K.
And the vial of anti-venom retails for $750.

SnakeBite Causes $89,000 Hospital Bill for North Carolina Couple - TIME
Well, those folks were dumb enough to buy insurance and everybody knows the insurance companies get a huge break.

However if you're going it alone you generally get socked for the full sticker price.

The problem with these emergency cases is that you rarely have time to sit around doing research on the internet and haggling with the with the hospital's accounts payable department. If your leg is swelling up and turning blue or you feel that elephant sitting on your chest, you have to tell them right then and there whether or not to go ahead.

If my buddy's treatment was only going to run $1500 or so I might have have staked him for it. He was in bad shape.

But not knowing whether it might hit $25K-$140K, we would need a come to Jesus meeting before putting my name on the line. He could at least give me a deed to his house or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies