Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 09:39 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
huh?

Somebody in this thread have said, "Torture is always wrong no matter what."

Of course it is easy for them to say that because they don't have to die. If they knew their kids and family members had to die due to terrorist attack, their answer would change. No?

so if we stop water boarding a few terrorist leaders for intel to save American lives they would stop hating us and stop trying to destroy us and stop their ways? AMAZING!!!

the blame America crowd always cracks me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 09:39 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
huh? You might want to read my post again.

Somebody in this thread have said, "Torture is always wrong no matter what."

Of course it is easy for them to say that because they don't have to die (They are not serving in the military or are currently working overseas) If they knew their kids and family members had to die due to terrorist attack, their answer would change. No?
We can be America or we can be like all of the terrorists we deride. We can't be both. Who do you want to be?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:40 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is true, but we don't know if this program helped anyone, or didn't.

Those who could be implicated in the torturing mandate will say "we got actionable intelligence" those who were not directly involved will say that there was none gained.

I think we need all of the details to make an informed decision on how well torture worked. KSM was supposedly tortured so much he went on for days talking about a suitcase bomb that didn't exist.

I know if someone was beating the hell out of me, I'd likely tell them whatever they wanted to get them to stop.

The sad part is, we incarcerated a man for 4 years after he was cleared of wrong doing there. We tied a guy to the floor where he died of hypothermia.

There were some things that were over the line.
Enhanced interrogation techniques exist for a reason. Torture (or whatever you would like to call it) such as waterboarding has been around for centuries.

Saying torture does not work seems a little bit extreme.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
We can be America or we can be like all of the terrorists we deride. We can't be both. Who do you want to be?

really? if the terrorists we are fighting all they are doing is water boarding a few military leaders and kept them alive and well fed and give them medical and dental care, we wouldn't be in this war.

you think we are fighting them because of water boarding?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Well, this is the second time you asked me a question which is hard to answer. And I am not a liar. I want a safe America, whatever it takes. (I think enhanced interrogation techniques exist for a reason. Some say torture does not help collect intelligence, period. I think this argument is extreme.

The question remains as to whether war is ever morally justified.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:50 AM

the purpose of a war is to DESTROY your enemy or make them quit.........liberals like to split hairs and get sentimental on their high moral horse.

if winning this war for my country and save American lives it takes water boarding a few terrorists leaders in extreme situations to get intel, so be it! ....you can't in 1 hand be ok killing them and every civilian around them with drones and having a moral fit and making a national crisis because they dunked in water a few terrorists leaders to get intel to save lives while keeping them alive, well fed and giving them medical and dental coverage while under our custody for life.

That's how absurd how liberals act.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:51 AM

808 posts, read 1,678,839 times
Quote:
Enhanced interrogation techniques exist for a reason. Torture (or whatever you would like to call it) such as waterboarding has been around for centuries.

Saying torture does not work seems a little bit extreme.
So your criteria for an effective program, a good course of action, is it has existed for a long time. Well alright then. You're extremely conservative. Are you religious? Do you literally believe every thing in whatever religious text? Do you obey it to the letter? I mean it's existed for a long, long, LONG time. That's proof enough we should never change course.

Nothing new should ever exist. No policies or ideas should ever change.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:56 AM

People always seem to argue two things.

1. Is waterboarding torture?

2. Is torture ever justified?

I think we should just get over it. The whole of the debate is pointless posturing. We can only express opinions, not facts.

There is no way to prove or disprove the real worth of America’s experiment with waterboarding and coercive techniques. I think it is pretty safe to assume that enhanced interrogation like waterboarding isn’t coming back.

"Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, 548 U.S. 557 (2006), is a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that military commissions set up by the Bush administration to try detainees at Guantanamo Bay lack "the power to proceed because its structures and procedures violate both the Uniform Code of Military Justice and the four Geneva Conventions signed in 1949."[1] Specifically, the ruling says that Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions was violated.

Hamdan v. Rumsfeld - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We’ll probably never know the real value of coercive techniques. Surely some accurate information came from their use.

The only way we could have a rational assessment of the costs and benefits of enhanced interrogation techniques is with a complete declassification of all the interrogation reports, including the leads that coercive questioning produced. Of course this is mission impossible.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
So your criteria for an effective program, a good course of action, is it has existed for a long time. Well alright then. You're extremely conservative. Are you religious? Do you literally believe every thing in whatever religious text? Do you obey it to the letter? I mean it's existed for a long, long, LONG time. That's proof enough we should never change course.

Nothing new should ever exist. No policies or ideas should ever change.
I don't think your questions worth answering because you assume too much.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
So your criteria for an effective program, a good course of action, is it has existed for a long time. Well alright then.
I am sorry that I have offended you but I think you misunderstood me.

I believe enhanced interrogation techniques exist for a reason. To say torture never worked is extreme.

That is all I am saying, No more no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies