Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
LMAO are you serious? Just wow...loss for words from that kind of idiotic response to this thread...buying elections is now free speech. AMAZING
SCOTUS has ruled that restricting political donation is suppression of free speech.

Do you support free speech or not?

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
In the end, people get the government they deserve. Your freedom is being taken from you because you are ignorant cowards.
Your slave (the government) has become your master, and you are neither brave enough or smart enough to do anything about it.
We are no longer the land of free and the home of the brave, we are peasants and people who are afraid to stand up.
We are not worthy of what our forefathers fought and died to pass on to us.

1,136 posts, read 941,703 times
Quote:
Technically, you just need a willing executive and legislative branch. Or people who aren't ignorant. It's funny because we're at the point where liberals literally act like five people rule the county. It's like "the Supreme Court said ..." Um, who cares?

Old 04-11-2014, 05:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I have zero trust in Big Agra, big pharma and big business of any sort. They run on almost nothing but GREED and whether their products hurt, maim or kill is irrelevant to them. I absolutely HATE the corn based agriculture that has arisen here. They put their crap in almost ALL packaged foods. They feed their lousy corn based feeds to most livestock and that produces lousy meat. Even dog kibble is full of their frankencorn and the dogs are dying younger and younger with a wide variety of illnesses we have never seen before in dogs. If Russia bans all GM foods all I can do is applaud them for it. GM seeds have bankrupted most small farmers in the developing world as well. Since the GM developers claim ownership and demand payment for all GM seeds I wish I could go to court and obtain an order prohibiting any and all GM pollen from trespassing on my property. If such a thing was possible it would end this nightmare dead in it`s tracks.
agreed.
Libertarians should be against GMOs and start living off the grid. Many are in NC and other mountainous states with land.

we all know WHO here is defending gmo's
paid shills only.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:18 PM

241 posts, read 172,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
SCOTUS has ruled that restricting political donation is suppression of free speech.

Do you support free speech or not?
And the SCOTUS is wrong. They are usually wrong so I don't take what they say with much credibility. They are just politicians IMO.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
And the SCOTUS is wrong. They are usually wrong so I don't take what they say with much credibility. They are just politicians IMO.
As a matter of law, I think the SCOTUS was probably right. Their job was not to decide if it was good to have so much money in politics. Their job was to determine if the Constitution prohibited the government from keeping people from spending money on campaigns. They were probably right, it probably does.

But that just means we need to change the law - or Constitution as the case may be.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Sounds good to me, too. Unfortunately, in this upside down reality in which we live today it takes a progressive to lead a battle that "conservatives" should be fighting on the front lines.

Thus this issue is the clearest illustration of the stark contrast between a conservative and a Republican today.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
He wanted the job and he got it. That it turned out to be like herding cats was something I doubt Bohner was prepared for.

But The Speaker Of The House is a very powerful and vital position, and a Speaker is very largely responsible for the good governance of our nation. While Bohner is seen as being a weak Speaker on all sides, resigning the seat due to weakness is unthinkable. Most Speakers have retained their position for as long as they are elected to Congress, so it's up to the House majority to either vote him out or retain him.

Or allow the voters of his district to vote him out of office. He is fully aware now of the responsibilities, the burdens, and the traditions of the House, and he's not going to step down voluntarily unless he becomes ill or decides to retire.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
As a matter of law, I think the SCOTUS was probably right. Their job was not to decide if it was good to have so much money in politics. Their job was to determine if the Constitution prohibited the government from keeping people from spending money on campaigns. They were probably right, it probably does.

But that just means we need to change the law - or Constitution as the case may be.
No, they were not. It is not free speech when most cannot afford to be heard.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:57 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
No, they were not. It is not free speech when most cannot afford to be heard.
How much does it cost to go up on a high mountain and shout a message?

If Harrier climbed Mt. Everest and railed against liberals, the whole world would hear him.

Or he could just operate HNN - Harrier News Network - here on City Data Forum.

HNN - combatting the darkness of liberalism with the light of conservatism!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies