Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to donate some money to Shanesha Taylor?
No, and put her in jail 53 53.00%
No, but don't put her in jail 41 41.00%
Yes, she deserves a handout more than the millions of other jobless folks out there 5 5.00%
Yes I will, as soon as I get a job 1 1.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:16 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times

Advertisements

In that case throw everyone in jail cause it's total BS that they have never broken a law...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You ask a lot of good questions, I wondered the same thing. What are we not being told about this woman?

We can only guess about the media stories - this one is probably the best, but you will notice they were very careful to list the temperature in Celsius @ 38. Why would they do that when Celsius in never used in the USA? 38 degrees Celsius is equivalent to 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Facing 2 felonies, but Phoenix mom is crowd-funding wonder - AZ Central

1. This happened in Scottsdale - that's a fair size city with a lot of Social Services and Community organizations.
2. She wasn't "homeless", but did say that from time to time, she had been homeless.
3. The time wasn't 45 minutes - the police waited for her for 45 minutes after they were called.
4. Her family lives in Scottsdale or the surrounding area. The kids are with her Mom now and she states that she is safe and "home". It's not like Shanesha Taylor was new to the area and didn't know anyone - including the father of those two kiddos.

The 6 month old baby was dressed in a long sleeve shirt and short sleeve shirt and wrapped in a blanket. No info on how the 2 year old was dressed. Those kids were in a locked SUV with the keys in the ignition for at least an hour in 100.4 degree heat .... she is lucky she is not up on Manslaughter charges. This woman is 35 years old, she is not some kid. It's interesting that so many people have so little concern about the very real and serious danger that those babies were in.

I certainly hope this doesn't become the latest "fad" for raising money from donations like the fraudulent credit card receipts with supposed "slurs" written on them. This sort of "fund raiser" could get children killed. $100,000 and counting is a lot of money.
Hmmm....yeah. Okay, I am now changing from slightest sympathy to charge her.

The way it was first reported was that she was homeless, had a job interview, left her two young kids in the car for 45 minutes while at that interview, and then we all saw the infamous tear stained face booking photo.

FINALLY, my questions are being answered: She was NOT homeless at the time of that interview, she did have a place to go, she DOES have family and those kids are there WITH that family, it was hot as hell, not cooler weather like some said it was, the one kid was overdressed for that kind of temp...

Sorry...any sympathy I had just got taken away.

I understand she was trying to get a job, that's fine, and I appreciate that she wasn't one of those who decided to leech off of people...she was making an effort...BUT, she did have options for her kids, and for whatever reason, chose not to use those options. She should be charged.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Shanesha Taylor is facing charges of child abuse after leaving her 2 young children in a hot car while she went for a job interview. Amanda Bishop has organized a fundraiser to help her out. Do you want to donate?
No, I don't. She put her children in danger.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I don't agree with what she did, but I don't see what choice she had.

Can't pay for child care, don't have anyone to help, need a job to take care of your kids...what would you do?

Leave them alone in the streets?
I'm sure if a church daycare or even fire station knew her situation they would be willing to help if it mean't watching her kids for 30 minutes to an hour for an interview or her kids suffocating to death in a hot car. You'd be amazed at the kindness of complete strangers if you're just honest about the whole situation. Its not against the law to drop a baby off at a fire station. It is against the law to leave them in a dangerous, defenseless situation which she apparently did.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Should she actually get that money, then she's fine without anything from me. However, I'm not yet sure what I think about her being charged since I still haven't found any answers to my questions due to **** poor reporting.

Did she know no one who could watch her kids for 45 minutes?
Is there no day care available for her while she goes for an interview?
Where are her parents?
What about the father?
Neighbors?
Where was she living? In her car? At a shelter? Where?

Until I find those answers, I won't say she should go to jail, right now, and throw away the key. The way the media presented the story is one of those that tugs at everyones heart strings, and makes people feel bad for her, "She was trying!!!", but no other information that would help people to know the full story?

Why the hell would the media do something like that?
And is it father or fathers? And where are they?

How about asking that? Or why a woman who has one child they can't care for, goes and has another one.

Instead of making a hero out of her.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How likely will anyone employ her given her decision to leave her babies in her car?

The time lapse between the initial call to the Police and the mother's return to the car was about 45 minutes. The actual duration of how long these babies were alone in the car has not been disclosed.

Exactly. Who is going to hire someone, even if it is out of pity who made such a poor decision.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:17 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times
When my mom was single and raising my little brother and I she had no help. She had an interview at a plumbing supply company as a secretary. She didn't have money for day care and no family available to watch us. She brought us into the interview with us and she got the job. There were days when we had to go into work with her because she had no other options.

Point is, single mothers, work with what they have and do what is best for their kids. Leaving babies in the car? Not whats best.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Most jobs available for people today only allow a net amount that goes for daycare.

It's a lifestyle choice.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:20 PM

542 posts, read 692,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
40 minute interview, not a hot day, was 65 out with windows slightly down to allow air flow. i hope she hits 100k.
Even if the airs outside is not hot, the air inside a car can reach over 100 degrees in a fairly short amount of time. (I tried to find a good link; this one shows that in an hour, a car that's in 80 degree temperatures will rise to a temperature of 123. In ten minutes, it rises to 99 degrees). Also, babies can't regulate their temperatures as much as adults can.

That said, I do feel sorry for this woman. It's a bit of a poverty trap that Harry Potter author JK Rowling has talked about as she experienced it for herself for several months - too poor to afford child care, and can't get a job without child care.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:26 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
As long as the government isn't giving this woman taxpayer money all is okay. Private donations are acceptable as each contributor makes their own decision....that's the way it should be.

However, the deficeit in common sense cannot be mitigated by money and that is our biggest problem as a country.

With kids killed in hot, unattended cars every year despite being well publicized and voting age people unable to differentiate a photo of John Kerry from JFK or Mitt Romney, the country is about to collapse on its own ignorance.

The Dems know this and instead of doing something about it they take advantage to further their political agenda and make profit for themselves and their financial backers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies