Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to donate some money to Shanesha Taylor?
No, and put her in jail 53 53.00%
No, but don't put her in jail 41 41.00%
Yes, she deserves a handout more than the millions of other jobless folks out there 5 5.00%
Yes I will, as soon as I get a job 1 1.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,999,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
She loves her kids and didn't want to have her kids taken from her and she wanted to provide for her kids... she needed a job and has no home or anyone she could trust to take care of her kids... a single mom doing what she can do... I am ashamed of how the police arrested her and anyone who threw stones at her... she is doing everything right and people still criticize her.... what is a person with no money and no job to do? Abandon her kids? Unthinkable...
I definitely sympathize with her situation, but that doesn't absolve her from punishment. Regardless of what she did, it was illegal and it was dangerous, she should be treated like anyone else in that situation. My hope is though that she will be fined and still able to go to work and provide for her kids. I do not believe, based on what I have heard, that throwing her in jail will solve anything.

I think with a situation like this, it exposes a situation that we in this nation have not really considered. How does a woman like this become a productive citizen? It concerns me because I would not want to hear the next woman in a similar situation using this as an excuse to not get a job and staying on welfare. We need to address how women like this can properly handle these situations without abandoning their kids. That is the conversation that I really haven't seen many talk about with this situation. I recognize what she did was wrong, but we also need to think about how we would handle this situation in her position and how difficult these decisions will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Aren't there government agencies that provide free daycare for working mothers or those seeking a job? No? Well then why not staff them with people getting a welfare check sitting at home.
TANF required recipients to work at least 20 hours a week to continue to recieve benefits. The CATO Institute learned that 80% of these jobs were funded by some form of direct or indirect municipal, county, state or federal subsidy. Many of these jobs were in child care for other TANF mothers.

Arizona cut their budget for child services by 40%. I don't know what specific programs were cut. It's possible that the safety net that once existed for mothers no longer exists.

Having said this, if I had found myself living with my 6 and 24 month old babies in my car, I would put their best interests first and would have given up custody until I could pull my life together. Anything less, is selfish and has nothing to do with what's best for the children.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,051,904 times
Meh, big deal. If she smothers a few she'll just make more, you can bet on that.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Go to child welfare and ask them to care for them knowing hard questions would be asked?

Someone should be asking her the hard questions.

Where is the father?
How did she end up living in her car?
Mom looks well fed and there was gas in the tank. Diapers cost. What is the source of funding.
Does she have other children? Where are they?
Does she have a history of drug or alcohol addiction and/or prior convictions?
Does she have marketable skills?
Does she have a plan?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont give a rats ass what the temperature was, you dont leave your babies alone.
Every once in awhile, we agree.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,999,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
TANF required recipients to work at least 20 hours a week to continue to recieve benefits. The CATO Institute learned that 80% of these jobs were funded by some form of direct or indirect municipal, county, state or federal subsidy. Many of these jobs were in child care for other TANF mothers.

Arizona cut their budget for child services by 40%. I don't know what specific programs were cut. It's possible that the safety net that once existed for mothers no longer exists.

Having said this, if I had found myself living with my 6 and 24 month old babies in my car, I would put their best interests first and would have given up custody until I could pull my life together. Anything less, is selfish and has nothing to do with what's best for the children.
I think that is a valid and very reasoned way to deal with this situation, but how many people who love their children will actually be willing to give them up and not knowing what kind of situation they will be placed in? From an outsider's perspective, yes, giving the children up makes a ton of sense, but there will always be those who are protective of their children, who think they are the best thing for their kids and that even in the worse situations can do better than someone else. Of course that is likely not true, but it will difficult to get a mother in a situation like this to think otherwise.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
You never leave babies alone in a locked car, period.

I hope she finds employment and that her 2 babies are returned to her when she is in a better situation.
How likely will anyone employ her given her decision to leave her babies in her car?

The time lapse between the initial call to the Police and the mother's return to the car was about 45 minutes. The actual duration of how long these babies were alone in the car has not been disclosed.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
One is for pretty much sure, the other is maybe. If you were concerned about keeping your kids, which of the two choices do you think is the best?
Wanting to keep your kids despite the circumstances seems to have more to do with the mother 's wants than the best interests of the children.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is NEVER an excuse to risk the safety of a BABY nor leave them in an unsafe situation.

No matter how much you try to justify it, there isnt justification.
Hell has frozen over and you and I agree on something.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No, I'm just pointing out that your solution is no solution at all to someone desperate to keep their family.
That desperation has all to do with the mother's selfishness and nothing to do with the best interests of her children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies