Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 PM

39,195 posts, read 27,570,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Putting ones life on the line has nothing to do with it. The overwhelming majority of military member have NEVER put their lives on the line. Most troops get nowhere near combat.

So that's bogus as an excuse for anger issues over a surplus uniform.
But didn't you just tell somebody on another thread that only African Americans get to decide what is offensive term to them or not?

So if wearing a Marine Uniform by a civilian is offensive to a Marine, don't you think he at least has a right to voice an opinion?

Old 04-11-2014, 06:18 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Go ahead, dress up as you like, it's a free country, but if you run into someone who has pride and respect for what you are dishonoring, you will suffer the consequences.
This.

Sue me for being passionate about what my husband has been through in his time in the USMC. I could only bet Desert and Pyramid have come nowhere close to seeing or going through what he and his brothers did. I don't care what you think of his experiences (Which is actually a crappy thing to say about a fellow military member), but if you had, you would probably think different about this topic.

I'm done with this thread. No sense to argue with those that think they are high and mighty. Grow up and learn when to back away from a topic.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
But didn't you just tell somebody on another thread that only African Americans get to decide what is offensive term to them or not?

So if wearing a Marine Uniform by a civilian is offensive to a Marine, don't you think he at least has a right to voice an opinion?
No...i didn't say that.

I said that only African Americans get to decide what we call ourselves. Anyone can and should have enough common sense to know what could potentially offend someone.

And yes..a Marine has a right to voice his opinion. But he doesn't have a right to approach me in a rude manner and tell me what i can or can't wear.

Matter of fact, i don't want him approaching me at all.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:33 PM

39,195 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
No...i didn't say that.

I said that only African Americans get to decide what we call ourselves. Anyone can and should have enough common sense to know what could potentially offend someone.

And yes..a Marine has a right to voice his opinion. But he doesn't have a right to approach me in a rude manner and tell me what i can or can't wear.

Thank you, fair enough.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xism View Post
I'm trying to understand why wearing a military dress shirt is considered a form of disrespect if your a civilian.

Quick synopsis of what happened; a few of my buddies and I set up a paint balling trip this weekend. We headed to thrift warehouse out in Hawthorne, NJ that has an entire section designated for military clothing. We got our camo pants, jackets and a few shirts for the event. One of my friends had a shirt with patches on the sleeves and was questioned by a former marine of where he got the shirt from. He expressed he got it at a thrift shop , after this the marine flipped out saying "if you don't rank it you don't wear it". My friend had no idea what the patches meant (a google search showed the patch reflected Gunnery Sergeant) heck none of us did. He told the marine and his friends that he didn't know it was disrespectful however things took a turn for the worst and started a shoving match.
Yes, its disrespectful. But you didn't know.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:51 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
This.

Sue me for being passionate about what my husband has been through in his time in the USMC. I could only bet Desert and Pyramid have come nowhere close to seeing or going through what he and his brothers did. I don't care what you think of his experiences (Which is actually a crappy thing to say about a fellow military member), but if you had, you would probably think different about this topic.

I'm done with this thread. No sense to argue with those that think they are high and mighty. Grow up and learn when to back away from a topic.
There you go again. Your husband is Captain America and the rest of us who served don't warrant our opinions.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xism View Post
I'm trying to understand why wearing a military dress shirt is considered a form of disrespect if your a civilian.

Quick synopsis of what happened; a few of my buddies and I set up a paint balling trip this weekend. We headed to thrift warehouse out in Hawthorne, NJ that has an entire section designated for military clothing. We got our camo pants, jackets and a few shirts for the event. One of my friends had a shirt with patches on the sleeves and was questioned by a former marine of where he got the shirt from. He expressed he got it at a thrift shop , after this the marine flipped out saying "if you don't rank it you don't wear it". My friend had no idea what the patches meant (a google search showed the patch reflected Gunnery Sergeant) heck none of us did. He told the marine and his friends that he didn't know it was disrespectful however things took a turn for the worst and started a shoving match.

It is disrespectful, particularly to the marines (the only branch of the service left with some degree of tradition and pride left, beyond the airborne). I have had uncles in WW2 and Korea in the marines. My oldest boy is enrolled into the marines upon graduation from college. My father was in the army for eight years. I had one uncle in the marines in Vietnam, another one in the 101st airborne. My two brothers were in the Navy (neither of which was in combat- one was a physician).

Wearing rank and battle ribbons on the uniform among those not in the Marines is considered very offensive, as it is akin to "false valor" situations.

If you are wearing a ribbon (the metal horizontal insignia on the left chest) for the Chosin Resevoir, Khe Sahn (first or second battle), Guadacanal, Iwo Jima, Tarawa, Saipan, or Okinawa, you damned well better have had your boots there.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:14 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is disrespectful, particularly to the marines (the only branch of the service left with some degree of tradition and pride left, beyond the airborne). I have had uncles in WW2 and Korea in the marines. My oldest boy is enrolled into the marines upon graduation from college. My father was in the army for eight years. I had one uncle in the marines in Vietnam, another one in the 101st airborne. My two brothers were in the Navy (neither of which was in combat- one was a physician).

Wearing rank and battle ribbons on the uniform among those not in the Marines is considered very offensive, as it is akin to "false valor" situations.

If you are wearing a ribbon (the metal horizontal insignia on the left chest) for the Chosin Resevoir, Khe Sahn (first or second battle), Guadacanal, Iwo Jima, Tarawa, Saipan, or Okinawa, you damned well better have had your boots there.
The irony. You're talking about disrespecting veterans by wearing a uniform while you dog other services about tradition when you have never served in any branch.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKORE0811 View Post
Well... As a Marine I concur with the one that flipped out. I have stopped MANY civilians dead in their tracks for just that same thing. The Marine Corps uniform is SACRED! Many of my Brothers died for that uniform. It should never be disrespected during a paintball game. Even myself, who did earn the Eagle, Globe and Anchor would never wear that out in public! It is a sacred uniform, NOT A FASHION STATEMENT!!!! (Sorry, but I get very passionate about things like that)
And my father was a Marine, and gave me his uniforms to wear. I even wore his dress jacket with jeans in high school. Seems not all Marines have the same view that you do.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,748,508 times
Quote:
No...i didn't say that.

Like i said earlier, there is more to this story then a vet approaching a civilian and sounding off. My experience is either someone was smarting off or was pretending and got caught or was being disrespectful. Unless the vet was Sec 8 fubared?

Further im one who did military service during war time and respect my training and my accomplishments and service. So i have every respect for the men who went further then my accomplishments.

So yes its a shirt intel its not one and its the ones who went before us who decide which it is. “Ready to Lead, Ready to Follow, Never Quit"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies