Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times

Advertisements

In New York anything over 30 hours is considered 'full time'.

I personally would rather cram 30 hours a week into 3 10 hour days than 5 6 hour days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:54 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
More than likely you give people more time and they'll sit in front of the TV that much longer
True, but that's not what I would do if I had more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What do YOU do on the weekends if you pay everyone else to do your work at home ?
I don't pay anyone to do any work at home, that's money I could be buying stocks with.

But as it stands, I'm at work 9 hours a day plus 30 minute commute each way, and I have a baby and wife who need attention, so some things naturally get cut back. I don't spend as much time making my own wine, I buy more at the store. The size and planning of the garden are restricted by how much time I have. Some of what the garden produces goes to waste since I don't always have time to process it before it goes bad. When I shop for groceries, I buy more groceries at once and make fewer trips, and as a result, I lose out on manager's specials and other sales because I'm not there as often. I lift weights 3x a week at the gym, but cardio only gets done once a week. There was a 2-month stretch where I wasn't working and I lifted 3 days a week and did cardio 3 days a week and I loved it. Working 45 hours a week, going to the gym 6 days a week just isn't practical especially considering the commute there and back.

People keep arguing as if I said that people who work 40 hours a week don't have time to do the things I mentioned. That's not what I said at all, I said they would have more time to do these things with a shorter work week. That should be pretty obvious. It's not like anyone here does all those things to the maximum extent possible. If I worked 0 hours per week I still wouldn't have time to do all the things I would like to do.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:55 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
In many workplaces these days people have traded the tyranny of the clock for the tyranny of the Deadline. As a senior technologist in a global company my workday was 12 hour days 7 am to 7pm, and working Saturadays and Sundays if a Senior manager needed a report or memo by by Monday 9am after being given the request on the Friday before. In most companies salaried workers are non-union (classed as mamagement) and don't get overtime if you stay after business hours to do a report, a calculation, complete a design or estimate or to get a test done.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I personally would rather cram 30 hours a week into 3 10 hour days than 5 6 hour days.
I'm with you there, I would love to work three 10-hour days a week.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
In many workplaces these days people have traded the tyranny of the clock for the tyranny of the Deadline. As a senior technologist in a global company my workday was 12 hour days 7 am to 7pm, and working Saturadays and Sundays if a Senior manager needed a report or memo by by Monday 9am after being given the request on the Friday before. In most companies salaried workers are non-union (classed as mamagement) and don't get overtime if you stay after business hours to do a report, a calculation, complete a design or estimate or to get a test done.
So true.

I never been so happy since I decided not to maximize my income. I work at a university now, and am about to get all summer off.

I'm so happy not to be part of that grind anymore. Yes my house is 500 sq ft. smaller, and I don't get to buy a new car every year. For me it is well worth it, but for other people maybe not.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
The amount of money that a person makes isn't really a product of how many hours he puts into work; it's a product of what skills he has to trade for the hours that he is at work. An architect makes more than a burger flipper and no matter how many hours that burger flipper works, he won't produce the value that an architect does. Sweden is a high value country. Swedes create more value for the same amount of time at work that a poorer country like Angola could ever hope to produce. If Swedes cut their weekly hours down to 30, that fact won't change.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:05 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think we should adopt a 36 hour work week, 9 hours x 4 days
I know I would not make it. I'm most productive first thing in the morning. By 2:00 PM it's time for that second cup of coffee without which I'd be completely useless.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
I see a lot of dislike for the idea, but very little discussion about it. Looking at it I can see:
1. increased productivity for the hours worked
2. lower unemployment

But you do see the other hand that the poorly paid folks would be even worse off, and many might go for 2 30 hr jobs instead of 1 40.....which..lol might put benefit #2 in some risk.

I dunno, I can see both sides of this, and maybe with them doing the experiment we will see real data.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The fact that you would have half of the day to yourself is enough incentive to get the work done faster and better and just stay focused during that time, instead of just being super tired by the end of the day that you don't mind using half of your day at work to do other things.
How many of those six hours will be dicking around on the internet?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,299 times
I'm moving to Sweden.

I typically work 43-45 hours a week (paid hourly)...I think I probably work 25-30 truly productive hours per week total. Human beings aren't meant to sit at a desk inside and look at a computer screen droning away on redundant work for hours and hours on end. I don't know that it's the government's job to intervene, but it sure would be nice. Americans work more and have less paid vacation days than every other western nation. Is it any surprise that people here are overweight, depressed, bored, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies