Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:52 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The checkpoints are not on the border and do nothing to secure the border.
Border Patrol has authority up to 200 hundred miles from the border into the US.

Don't like it, harangue your congress critter who passed those laws.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Comfy bus ride. There are Mexican bus lines that have been caught running illegals north and they are still in operation. Take a nus from the border to Denver. All they have to do is say yes when asked if they are a US citizen.

Also there are the back roads and the temporary check points that are often closed. Illegals aren't having much trouble at all getting to any place they please.
And then they probably get hauled off the bus and checks are run to verify the veracity of that declaration and when found to be false, they will be convicted of 8 USC 911, a felony.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or Russians. The ease of getting over the border and past the checkpoints was discovered by many millions already.
Give it a try and see if it is easy. I bet it isn't.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
check points are used for many motives other than their announced purpose.
its like welfare house visits.
unfortunately when we decided to have millions of foreign people here without any authorization, we gave up the option to never have checkpoints. when 19% of the population became felons, the same is true.
most americans have not a clue what sort of people frequent our hightways and airports not a clue. most live in a leave it to beaver fantasy world.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:57 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Border Patrol has authority up to 200 hundred miles from the border into the US.

A law can't trump the Constitution.

If they closed these inland shake downs and moved those resources to the border, they wouldn't even have the need for the checkpoints in the first place!

Old 04-10-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
ok, we give you the close the check point , but lets also closed the border. 100%, happy now
I would be.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:47 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That's just not true in our area. I travel back and forth between Puerto Penasco and Sedona, Az. all the time. I enter and exit at the Lukeville crossing. It is nothing like you say.
Also, illegal crossings are down over 55% in Arizona over the last 4 years so these checkpoints are working and doing the job they are supposed to be doing.

If you go to the illegal immigration forum and read the posts, most right wingers want armed guards, the army, the national guard with shoot to kill authority and a 30 foot high fence around the whole southern border.
What I really think they want is if you're lily white, then you get a free pass and get waved through. If you're brown, then you get the third degree and the full colonoscope .
I'm def lily white and I've been stopped, I've got nothing to hide. Too; many illegal aliens ARE "white", even Mexican ones.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:08 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:

You've incorrectly doubled it: The Border Patrol has authority 100 miles from a border or coastline, and the area around inland international airports that they may be stationed at. But with the other hyperbole on this thread, you are doing fine. Let's get further detail out there:

"Permanent" (one or more permanent structures, in a defined location that is always staffed) and "Temporary" Border Patrol checkpoints have different criteria. Permanent checkpoints are treated as being "adjacent to the border", with the same relaxed 4th Amendment protections as a Port of Entry. Temporary checkpoints are not operated full-time, can be erected at different locations, and must observe 4th Amendment protections as do Border Patrol vehicle stops.

The Border Patrol only has jurisdiction over immigration status and possible customs violations. They cannot delve into other matters like vehicle registration or licensing (Border Patrol vehicle stops require the reasonable belief that there is at least one illegal alien in the vehicle). As a U.S. citizen, you can be prompted to declare that citizenship, but are not legally required to provide it.

Efficiency: Checkpoints apprehend 2% of all Border Patrol detentions, but use 6% of their total resources.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Give it a try and see if it is easy. I bet it isn't.
Of course it's easy -- ride one of the buses sometime and see what goes on -- how sometimes there are some who start laughing when the border agent gets off the bus -- after they lied and claimed to be US citizens. By car it might not be as easy -- because if you're in a car that has Mexico or other Central American license plates, they might check to see if you have a visa and not all illegals can get a car with license plates from a US state.

If it were difficult, you wouldn't have 25-30 million illegals living throughout the whole USA.

Here's an article -- Greyhound is under fire for trying NOT to transport illegals -- other bus lines make it them a major part of their business. The border checkpoints can't stop this practice because they don't verify citizenship if you answer yes to the question "are you a US citizen".

http://02e1137.netsolhost.com/Villag...ckets_1005.asp

Greyhound Lines Inc., the country's largest intercity bus company, has come under fire from immigrant groups for threatening to fire employees who sell bus tickets to undocumented immigrants.

The 'Transportation of Illegal Aliens' policy warns Greyhound's employees to beware of people in large groups, moving in single file and traveling with little or no luggage. It says other telltale signs include people "trying to hide or stay out of plain view" or large groups led by a "guide" who holds everyone's tickets.

Greyhound also says immigrant smugglers give themselves away by calling bus stations to ask if immigration authorities are present, and by loitering, repeatedly buying large numbers of tickets for other people and using phrases like, "These guys just crossed the line," "my cargo," and "I've got to move my people."

Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
So, you don't mind the undocumented immigrants just driving over here?
It's not about checking your ID at the border. It's about checking while driving within the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies