Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,909,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Actually we need to educate the new gun owners that the ban scares have created.
Notice how it's "gun owners" & no mention of "gang members" who carry them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,923,168 times
If you really want to promote gun safety, I can tell you a way that won't cost anything and won't require any government legislation. It's very simple and best of all you don't have to do a thing.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:56 AM

679 posts, read 613,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If using such a device were strictly OPTIONAL, exactly. I can see the benefits some would find in locking young children and thieves (stolen gun scenario, both civilians and cops) out of the ability to discharge a firearm. There is merit to such a proposal.
I see the angle your going for here, also an ability to deactivate the new tech. But in my opinion even if it were enforced that all new guns had to have this technology it still wouldn't impede on your right to bear arms. There's nothing in the constitution that even implies that you have the right to bear arms that don't have an extra level of security built into them.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Notice how it's "gun owners" & no mention of "gang members" who carry them....
Truthfully I'd want "gang members" to be as low on the gun education totem poll as possible in hopes that their weapons fall into disrepair and malfunction from improper use. Because the whole part of using your gun in legal ventures would be completely irrelevant to that crowd.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,039,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
OK so lets go down the line with this one.
You are missing the bigger picture here. Why SHOULD I be FORCED to WEAR a bracelet in order to FIRE MY OWN guns? It's beyond ridiculous! I am NOT A CRIMINAL! I am a LAW-ABIDING CITIZEN just like everyone else. This is a violation of my 2nd Amendment rights. And yes there is some tracking technology that will be embedded with this, it is referred to as RFID.

http://www.foxnews.com/.../holder-wa...xplore-gun-tra...

The Government has already been caught spying on it's own citizens, now they want law abiding gun owners to wear bracelets? This sounds like a police state to me. It is not the Governments business what I do or don't with my firearms as long as I'm not doing anything illegal. Will they ban older guns? Guns without the bracelet technology? And remember what I said previously, Eric Holder does NOT have your best interest in mind. He has stated that his goal is to brainwash the American Public against guns. BRAINWASH! He actually said BRAINWASH! Does it not bother you that the Head of our Justice Department, one of THE MOST POWERFUL positions in our nation, said that his goal is to BRAINWASH the American People?!

YouTube

And this isn't even touching on the fact that Holder has been involved in many highly illegal activities. The only reason he hasn't been arrested yet is because of the corruption in Washington.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,434,339 times
In 2002 Republicans in New Jersey passed a law that only smart guns be sold in the state within three years of a smart gun being sold anywhere in the country. It's a law waiting for technology to catch up.
The N.J. law requires the state attorney general to certify that the gun is for sale, whether it meets the definition under the law, and to notify the governor and legislature.
In 2014 a California gun shop offered the Armatix iP1 smart gun for sale but quickly backed off after protests.

For Chris Christie, a smart gun problem?
California firearms shop backs away from 'smart gun' after backlash | Fox News

Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 PM

88,800 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
I see the angle your going for here, also an ability to deactivate the new tech. But in my opinion even if it were enforced that all new guns had to have this technology it still wouldn't impede on your right to bear arms.
Indeed it would, if it locked anyone out of using the firearm for its intended legal purposes.
Quote:
There's nothing in the constitution that even implies that you have the right to bear arms that don't have an extra level of security built into them.
Totally disagree.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:04 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
This is not like a car key.
Actually, it's pretty much exactly that.

I'm going to ignore the school of red herring that followed because it is an argument that does not interest me. I'm simply trying to crrect the lie in the OP headline about this being a tracking mechanism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican
And yes it IS tracking tech-www.mrcolionnoir.com/.../eric-holder-wants-mandate-gun-owners-wear-...‎
this is not what he said specifically, but the kind of technology in the gun and bracelet retains similar technology.
Not only is it not what he said "specifically" it is not what he said at all. Most importantly, it is not what the technology is even capable of doing.

I am at least encouraged that you are now backpedaling from your earlier claims that it was a tracking device and that it required databases, neither of which were true. The boy can be taught.

Quote:
You are also ignoring the big elephant here, one that I addressed you on previously which is that Eric Holder has an agenda. Nothing this man comes up with is good for anybody.
Hey, you dislike the guy. So what? Everybody has an agenda. It is stupid to do anything without an agenda. And an agendum can be good just as much as it could be bad. Your problem is that you are making no serious effort to understand what the agenda actually is. Otherwise, you would not have so egregiously misrepresented what the technology does.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with guns today. We have a culture problem, not a gun problem.
Those are not mutually exclusive. Why is that conservatives are always so compelled to frame the universe in false dichotomies?

Quote:
Education is the key to gun safety.
Just as education is a key to automotive safety.

Seat belts and speed limits also save lives. Go figure.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
You are missing the bigger picture here. Why SHOULD I be FORCED to WEAR a bracelet in order to FIRE MY OWN guns? It's beyond ridiculous! I am NOT A CRIMINAL! I am a LAW-ABIDING CITIZEN just like everyone else. This is a violation of my 2nd Amendment rights. And yes there is some tracking technology that will be embedded with this, it is referred to as RFID..
You can't track someone from an RFID tag unless you are very, very close to them. If you have an RFID tag that is sending its signal even to a range of 20 feet it almost completely defeats this purpose because someone could use the gun as long as they were within 20 feet of you. This would be an RFID tag on a very, very passive scale like 1'. Much like what is used in the auto-unlock features in new cars. And no matter what, these RFID tags are incapable of being scanned from a satellite, the distance is just too far.

As for violating your 2nd Amendment rights, even if they made it mandatory for ALL guns. You would still be able to bear arms. That right would not be taken away from you in any way shape or form.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
There is nothing in the Constitution about rights for driving.
While I'm not arguing that it is, the fact that there's nothing in the Constitution about it hardly means that it's not a right. The Constitution says so itself.

Quote:
Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
So if you want to make that argument, you're going to have to go about it a different way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies