Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times

Advertisements

Is Affirmative Action still needed?

Quote:
SHIRLEY, NY -- A 17-year-old Long Island student has applied to and was accepted at all eight Ivy League schools.

Kwasi Enin of Shirley began hearing from the schools on March 27.

The William Floyd High School senior tells Newsday that he couldn't believe it when "the yesses kept coming."

Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Yale and the University of Pennsylvania all said yes.

Kwasi says he thought, "this can't be happening."

He scored 2,250 out of 2,400 on the SAT. That places him in the 99th percentile for all students taking the exam.
New York student accepted at all 8 Ivy League schools | abc13.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Lol...you think he's the first black person to accomplish such a feat?

My son got accepted into Cornell (and every other school he applied for) after knocking his SAT's outta the stratosphere. So what?

That just proves that he's smart. It doesn't mean that other kids can't use the help of Affirmative Action. My son met smarter kids than himself on college that did WORSE on the SAT.

In fact, so did I when I was in college. I just had the benefit of having college educated parents and attending far better schools all my life.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

My son got accepted into Cornell (and every other school he applied for) after knocking his SAT's outta the stratosphere. So what?

That just proves that he's smart. It doesn't mean that other kids can't use the help of Affirmative Action. My son met smarter kids than himself on college that did WORSE on the SAT.

In fact, so did I when I was in college. I just had the benefit of having college educated parents and attending far better schools all my life.

My cousin got accepted into Cornell in the early 80s at the age of 16.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
My cousin got accepted into Cornell in the early 80s at the age of 16.
Well then, there you go.

These are extraordinary people...they shouldn't be used as the basis of any wide ranging policy.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:05 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Quote:
Kwasi hasn't decided which college he'll attend. He's waiting to see what kind of financial aid he is offered.
Both of my kids were in the 99% on their SAT's - one of them was 1 of 3 students in the USA to score a 100% on the Biology SAT. Both kids were National Merit Scholars and winners of a couple of other Academic scholarships, but that didn't translate into "free rides" to college. They were "accepted" in every school they applied to, but chose the best school based on their degree plan AND the total cost of the program.

The goal has to be to get a good education and leave school with no debt - they did that. Our daughter went to a fancy school, but she was a top flight athlete as well as a top flight student and received 33 scholarship offers for a full ride, including all 3 Military Academies. It was a matter of picking the best program for her degree plan.

AP courses are worth their weight in Gold - both my kids placed out of 30-34 credit hours, which allowed one to graduate from a 5 year Engineering program in 4 years and the other to get a degree in both Biology and Chemistry in 4 years.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
I bowled a perfect game once, yep scored 260 out of 300. Pretty impressive.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:48 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Well then, there you go.

These are extraordinary people...they shouldn't be used as the basis of any wide ranging policy.
What? We can't use one anecdotal story to completely change policy?

Oh well, it's at least an amusing thread if you like illogical trainwrecks.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Do we still need affirmative action? Perhaps not, but not because a person of African heritage is successful.

Affirmative action, in its inception, was conceived as a way to level the playing field for groups that were subject to widespread institutional policies that prevented their access to education.

The student in question is an individual, not an oppressed race.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Do we still need affirmative action? Perhaps not, but not because a person of African heritage is successful.

Affirmative action, in its inception, was conceived as a way to level the playing field for groups that were subject to widespread institutional policies that prevented their access to education.

The student in question is an individual, not an oppressed race.
Exactly. If you wanna get rid of AA, that's fine and a perfectly reasonable position.

But only because some random black aced the SAT?

Old 04-01-2014, 01:51 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
Quote:

Actually, getting accepted into ALL 8 ivy schools is a rare feat for any person of any race. But that doesn't take away from your son's brilliance in any way. Just objectively pointing it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies