Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
What I really don't understand is how this kid ran around stabbing people for 30 minutes without being stopped. Don't believe he would have got too far when I was in high school. We were not afraid of guns or knives, probably has a lot to do with it. But then we did not have many people on mind altering medications either.
yes, I wonder to, however, I don't believe many of us realize, how under staffed everything is today, you have to wonder how a shooter gets into a military base as well, and yet, they tell us our country is safer today then before 911. I don't believe that....

what I do believe is, amidst our greed, we human beings in America, have forgotten how to think past today and prepare. It is all about instant gratification....and that includes our jobs, our government jobs, everything...we have regressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No, a metal detector puts a bandaid on something that needs a tourniquet. What happens when they walk out the doors? Are you going to put them in a plastic bubble for 18 years? Address the underlying cause of the problem. As an adult, stand up to kids starting trouble at the mall... Guarantee you they will back down. As a educator, control your environment. Don't allow yourself to be intimidated by children. As a parent. Know where your children are, what they are doing and with whom. They are not entitled to privacy until they are adults, just as we weren't. The only right they have is to remain silent and that is a right that they should well exercise or pay the consequences.

well, I'm not talking about when they walk out the doors, I'm talking about how we can keep our kids in school safe....anything beyond that I don't have a bandaide for, however, that would be a tourniquet. If they walk thru a metal detector, all weapons would show up, and they would have to take off their shoes as well....so, when a kid has a weapon, they take it from the kid, call the cops, take the kid aside, call the parents out of work, and fine the parents big time.

That is not a bandaide, that keeps kids from bringing weapons in school.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, I'm not talking about when they walk out the doors, I'm talking about how we can keep our kids in school safe....anything beyond that I don't have a bandaide for, however, that would be a tourniquet. If they walk thru a metal detector, all weapons would show up, and they would have to take off their shoes as well....so, when a kid has a weapon, they take it from the kid, call the cops, take the kid aside, call the parents out of work, and fine the parents big time.

Kids are creative.. I once made the school evacuate by cooking up what in essence was a stink bomb in chemistry class.. It was spring and all the students were grateful.. LOL Nobody was harmed. The point is, if a kid has an agenda, he (or she) can carry it out without the use of a gun or knife as a weapon. That is why I think a metal detector is a bandaid approach. In years gone by, other students would have not only stopped this kid immediately but would have beat him half to death in the process. Today, they seem to stand back and watch the carnage.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
You can give me all the statistics you want but in the real world a gun is very difficult to shoot and hit your target. Try it sometime. I have tried to teach many people how to shoot and very few are any good. Most just give up, blast a bunch of rounds off and go home.

Now a knife takes very little training, get close enough and your chances are very great you will hit your target.

guns vs knives..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1lBAAH4SzA

Old 04-09-2014, 02:19 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

But I think we have over-protected the kids, so they don't have any sense of real danger and how to protect themselves and others.

And btw, some school campuses aren't closed buildings where you have control over every entrance and exit - some are campuses with several classroom buildings and outdoor walkways.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
I would like to know what motivated the stabbings.

Bullying? Or just plain old mental illness?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:45 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The obvious answer is to arm everyone with knives. Fight fire with fire.
No, the obvious answer is that "gun-free zones don't protect children, or anyone else for that matter, any more that the "knife-free zone" protected these children.

People who wish to do harm to others see gun-free zones as a target rich environment with little to stop them.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I would like to know what motivated the stabbings.

Bullying? Or just plain old mental illness?
The whole situation closely resembles any episode of " The Following", starring Kevin Bacon, on Fox.

It's all about the knives. It would not surprise me to learn the unstable kid was influenced by the show.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
That's what I'm wondering. Was this some super athlete kid or somethig? You'd think a building full of adults and adult-sized people would've been able to take down this kid before he stabbed 20 people.
The rampage began at 7:15ish , before classes.

Reportedly, the school had a full time Police Officer and 3 Security people. He was a skinny little kid. The Assistant Principal tackled him and ended it.

Then again, initial reports and timelines are often inaccurate.

http://www.heavy.com/news/2014/04/fr...r-alex-hribal/

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-09-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 03:36 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,492 times
Stabbing people to death is a lot harder then people think. You have to have the proper blade, know where to aim on the body and have the will power to carry it out as well as strength. This teenager was just running around slashing people.

A gun on the other hand it's a lot easier to point and shoot. A gun there would have been several deaths. It's also a lot easier for a coward to wield and kill with whereas a blade you have to get up to the person and see them eye to eye and the person can try to defend themselves. Notice how mass shooters tend to off themselves when surrounded? This is one reason why you tend to have way more mass shootings then mass stabbings.

Mass stabbings deaths/serious injurious would be very rare to nonexistent. Mass shootings lots of deaths very few people who live with serious injuries. Tell me what do you people prefer to happen a mass shooting where you have a lot of dead innocent people and a dead suspect who kills themself or a mass stabbing where no one tends to die or have serious injuries and the suspect gets apprehended and can face trial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies