Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Stabbing people to death is a lot harder then people think. You have to have the proper blade, know where to aim on the body and have the will power to carry it out as well as strength. This teenager was just running around slashing people.

A gun on the other hand it's a lot easier to point and shoot. A gun there would have been several deaths. It's also a lot easier for a coward to wield and kill with whereas a blade you have to get up to the person and see them eye to eye and the person can try to defend themselves. Notice how mass shooters tend to off themselves when surrounded? This is one reason why you tend to have way more mass shootings then mass stabbings.

Mass stabbings deaths/serious injurious would be very rare to nonexistent. Mass shootings lots of deaths very few people who live with serious injuries. Tell me what do you people prefer to happen a mass shooting where you have a lot of dead innocent people and a dead suspect who kills themself or a mass stabbing where no one tends to die or have serious injuries and the suspect gets apprehended and can face trial?
Stop thinking in terms of knife vs gun. Start asking what has changed that leads kids to do this? The weapon of choice is inconsequential and if you think you can't be killed from an actual stabbing you better think again. Why are these kids doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Easiest way to solve the school violence problem is home schooling. Pour all the tax money back to the families.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Cue the pathetic losers to score political points and mock murdered children...
I agree about the pointed reference to guns, but mocking murdered children? Where did you get that?

Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Easiest way to solve the school violence problem is home schooling. Pour all the tax money back to the families.
Maybe.

The sad part is kids have to learn how to get along in life with others.

Hard to do from their keyboard.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
A teacher with a pistol could have ended this..

Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Mass stabbings deaths/serious injurious would be very rare to nonexistent. Mass shootings lots of deaths very few people who live with serious injuries. Tell me what do you people prefer to happen a mass shooting where you have a lot of dead innocent people and a dead suspect who kills themself or a mass stabbing where no one tends to die or have serious injuries and the suspect gets apprehended and can face trial?
Here's some Osaka School Massacre Japan 8 dead 15 injured weapon Kitchen Knife. Huaiji county China 5 dead 2 injured knife, Chenzhou China 4 dead 12 injured knife, Shiguan China 12 dead 5 injured knife and gasoline, Nanping China 8 dead 5 injured machete, Hanzhong China 10 dead 11 injured cleaver.

Not so rare, in the places that they're more frequent.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:51 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
There is a serious problem. This shouldn't be a gun debate. I'm all for responsible gun ownership. Arming principal and teachers against students with mental illness and family problems is not the way to go.

Too many kids have issues that the schools have not been equip to handle. We can point the finger at the family breakdown or whatever. The problem is real and we have to reinvent our schools to give help where it's needed. That means more money put into nurturing families and more into repairing the family structure and our children.

America's chickens are coming home to roost. Violence is no longer a inner city problem.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Here's some Osaka School Massacre Japan 8 dead 15 injured weapon Kitchen Knife. Huaiji county China 5 dead 2 injured knife, Chenzhou China 4 dead 12 injured knife, Shiguan China 12 dead 5 injured knife and gasoline, Nanping China 8 dead 5 injured machete, Hanzhong China 10 dead 11 injured cleaver.

Not so rare, in the places that they're more frequent.
So sad for these youngsters!
BTW Didn't the Aussies hit guns hard a few years back and then saw an increase in knife crimes?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226446085026

Australian Institute of Criminology - Knife crime: Recent data on carriage and use

Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
There is a serious problem. This shouldn't be a gun debate. I'm all for responsible gun ownership. Arming principal and teachers against students with mental illness and family problems is not the way to go.

Too many kids have issues that the schools have not been equip to handle. We can point the finger at the family breakdown or whatever. The problem is real and we have to reinvent our schools to give help where it's needed. That means more money put into nurturing families and more into repairing the family structure and our children.

America's chickens are coming home to roost. Violence is no longer a inner city problem.
Yeah, armed principals and teachers is the wave of the future...this idea that you can stop violence before it happens is a joke..

Old 04-09-2014, 05:41 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

Agreed with the root causes, not too sure about the steps suggested, and that's one of the issues we should be tackling, identify and treat the kids who might turn dangerous before they snap, or change the mechanisms they're placed within so that it's a non-issue which is preventative in nature.

One other issue that should be tackled is that people need to be more aware that they can and should defend themselves. If someone is an imminent threat to your continued existence then you can't rely on friends, teachers, the police your god(s), your dog(s), the postman, or the President to help you out. Someone mentioned throwing chairs, damn fine idea, at the perpetrator, or at the window so you can break it and run away. This is what I consider basic common sense, which is that no matter what someone has told me I need to do, or not do, if my survival is on the line, I'm doing what I need to do to keep my body temperature around 98.6 F.

I'm sure someone will say, but what you're suggesting is dangerous, damn right it is, but it's probably less dangerous than waiting for some maniac with a knife to finally decide it's my turn to be perforated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies