Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I appreciate your position regarding donations. But when I say cavalier, I mean not just cavalier in terms of your concern for the 35,000, but cavalier in terms of the implications of suppression of free speech. That's why I brought up a different piece of legislation. To mitigate the emotional response to Proposition 8, and to illustrate that donations to a positive piece of legislation could be impacted as well. Suppression of free speech is a bigger issue than Proposition 8. At least it is, to me.
I understand the point--the Constitution protects us from government suppression of free speech. If we, as people, suppress our own speech for fear of social consequences, then I can appreciate the concern that speech that should be "out there" in public won't be (to the same degree). I tend to think, though, that people will usually speak in support of things they feel strongly about, in spite of the possible social repercussions. And there are anonymous outlets for speaking--one could start an anonymous blog in support of a political position, for example.

Even though the judiciary recognizes political donations as speech equivalents, that does not mean there is a guarantee of anonymity in donations.

Ultimately, it takes a certain amount of courage to support one's controversial beliefs. If we, as a people, lack that courage, then I don't know what avenues are available to fix that problem.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:44 PM

679 posts, read 614,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
I'm sure you know that's not how consent works.

Thanks for letting us know it's legal, but the point is that referendums trump polls in our particular society.
Legally, yes it is exactly how consent works. What is your definition of consent that is so different?

Referendums don't trump national polls because a referendum only shows regional beliefs.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:49 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
If we're worrying that someone who supports NAMBLA is doing something to kids, shouldn't that mean that someone who is gay shouldn't be in a position of authority over men?
What the heck are you talking about? That makes no sense at all.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:52 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
That's actually Ceist's argument. You can be against gay marriage and be a CTO, but not a CEO. And I said "thanks for informing us of all these rules that we have in society linked to gays."
I think that’s true, particularly when put another way:

CEOs are the public face of an organization and their personal actions present a direct PR risk that the board must take into consideration.

It has nothing to do with gay marriage, per se. Prop. 8 is merely a convenient symbol in this instance. CEOs resign for all sorts of actions (including entirely private matters like adultery) because they reflect poorly on the company.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM

1,136 posts, read 941,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Legally, yes it is exactly how consent works.
Uh, sorry, but you're wrong. Legally, you either can or cannot consent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Referendums don't trump national polls because a referendum only shows regional beliefs.
Ah, so polls are better than actual votes. I see. This is a fascinating discussion I'm having. I learned all sorts of new things.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
That's actually Ceist's argument. You can be against gay marriage and be a CTO, but not a CEO. And I said "thanks for informing us of all these rules that we have in society linked to gays."
Nope, not just my argument and not "linked to gays". A CTO is behind the scenes, a CEO is the public face and leader of the company. I also said I couldn't help you if you didn't understand the difference. Apparently that's still the case.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I think that’s true, particularly when put another way:

CEOs are the public face of an organization and their personal actions present a direct PR risk that the board must take into consideration.

It has nothing to do with gay marriage, per se. Prop. 8 is merely a convenient symbol in this instance. CEOs resign for all sorts of actions (including entirely private matters like adultery) because they reflect poorly on the company.
That's great, but you're just rationalizing. Nobody in the past has ever had to come up with a convoluted justification of why someone could believe something as a CTO, but which suddenly became unacceptable when they were the CEO. But thanks to gay marriage, here we are.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
That's great, but you're just rationalizing. Nobody in the past has ever had to come up with a convoluted justification of why someone could believe something as a CTO, but which suddenly became unacceptable when they were the CEO. But thanks to gay marriage, here we are.
It's really not an issue of belief, but of publicity. If the belief were held privately, there would be no backlash. When the belief is held publicly, the person in the high-profile position has to deal with the spotlight.

I tend to think that the distinction is not practically about CEO or CTO, but really a matter of high-profile. If a high-profile lead designer expressed noxious views that caused major public backlash, then that person would also have to deal with the scrutiny.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
It's really not an issue of belief, but of publicity. If the belief were held privately, there would be no backlash. When the belief is held publicly, the person in the high-profile position has to deal with the spotlight.
Sure, I understand the argument. I'm just saying the argument doesn't hold water. As I said, there's not been a time when someone believed something as a CTO or CFO, suddenly became CEO, continued to have the same beliefs, and then was immediately fired/let go/resigned. Just with gay marriage. And now, people are trying to find ways to justify it like "well, the CEO is a more high-profile position." The fact that the CEO is a more high-profile position is true, but it's irrelevant. Like if I said "it's because that wall is green." Yes, the wall is green, but so what?

Old 04-11-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Sure, I understand the argument. I'm just saying the argument doesn't hold water. As I said, there's not been a time when someone believed something as a CTO or CFO, suddenly became CEO, continued to have the same beliefs, and then was immediately fired/let go/resigned. Just with gay marriage. And now, people are trying to find ways to justify it like "well, the CEO is a more high-profile position." The fact that the CEO is a more high-profile position is true, but it's irrelevant. Like if I said "it's because that wall is green." Yes, the wall is green, but so what?
It's a controversial opinion to express. He sought a high-profile position and sorely miscalculated the response of interested parties (the devs who contribute to Mozilla, the companies who make use of it, and the users).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies