Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:19 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Maybe part of your lack of understanding is thinking of poor people as animals instead of human beings.
When you breed like an animal (without thought), you ARE an animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 04:20 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Maybe part of your lack of understanding is thinking of poor people as animals instead of human beings.
You're right. Animals seem to be more responsible than humans. Talk about embarrassing.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:22 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
First of all, I want to make it clear that (1) I'm more progressive than most progressives I know, (2) I abhor paying for single moms who are on welfare, (3) I absolutely hate seeing so much of my tax dollars paying for leeches, and (4) I am absolutely behind Obama.

That said, being realistic, I have to accept that the poor/uneducated will always have way way way more kids than they can support. It happens in countries that have social safety nets and countries without social safety nets. Have you ever been to a 3rd world country lately? Most of them have no welfare programs, and their poor pump out kids like there is no tomorrow.

It's just a fact of life. It's less of a headache if you just ignore it.
If I could ignore it, I would. But when we tax payers have to foot the bill, then it should not be ignored. It needs to be talked about. What good is ignoring it or saying "ok, here's some more tax payer funded stuff"?

Too many times in this country, we are either supposed to ignore or practically reward poor decisions. Or go about it the wrong way instead. Personal responsibility always seems to be low on the totem pole.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:25 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Oh another thing, you have got people on the right complaining about this kind of thing and then going on a tirade about Obamacare requiring insurance cover birth control.

Seriously, if you think folks who are poor have too many kids you should be dancing in the streets at easily accessible birth control mandates.

The fact is no matter how much the right tries to will it into existence folks, and especially unmarried folks are not going to stop having sex. So obstructing contraception access and sex education, is probably not the way to go in reducing child poverty.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:26 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
When you breed like an animal (without thought), you ARE an animal.
I know it is not politically correct to compare people with animal, but in this instance I think it warrants it.

Humans are just another animal in the animal kingdom. What separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom is our ability to accomplish more than what nature has given us. We know how to manipulate nature to our advantage, etc.

Breeding simply for the sake of breeding is instinctual and is not something to be proud of. I know a lot of poor/uneducated people are proud of how many kids they pump out. My boyfriend and I just spent a weekend with a pregnant girl (his sister). She just turned 18 and is pregnant with her 2nd kid. From different daddies of course. She dropped out of school a couple years back. Boy, is she proud of the fact that she's got another baby coming. I didn't say anything, but inside my head I was genuinely concern for her kids in the future.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:27 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
If I could ignore it, I would. But when we tax payers have to foot the bill, then it should not be ignored. It needs to be talked about. What good is ignoring it or saying "ok, here's some more tax payer funded stuff"?

Too many times in this country, we are either supposed to ignore or practically reward poor decisions. Or go about it the wrong way instead. Personal responsibility always seems to be low on the totem pole.
But what exactly do you propose we do? As much as I hate paying for other people's poor decisions, I'm not ready to throw the children (who are innocent in all of this) under the bus. And we both know the liberal commies will be all up in arms if we dare to discourage people from mindlessly breeding. You know I'm right.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:35 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
It sucks to have to pay for other peoples' kids because they either cannot or will not take care if their own.
However, what's the alternative? The children didn't ask to be born, especially into such a crappy situation. We cannot punish the children because the parents are irresponsible...
All children who have irresponsible parents are punished; that ship has sailed. And you won't be doing anything but making the problem far worse and extensive, by setting up STONG financial incentives to breed babies on the Dole (in a nation where jobs and self-sufficiency are a sad memory).

You can keep trying to be all liberal and goody-goody, and end up with a nation where everyone starves together, because your society is 95% worthless and totally unmoticated.

Or you can understand that a SENSIBLE policy now is better than societal colllapse later, and change your system so that anyone breeding children they can't afford is given STRONG incentives to not do so again:
First child, taken away at birth and given for adoption (overseas, if necessary). Second child, same thing, along with permanent sterilization of the mentally-challenged breeder. Use all the money that currently encourages MORE irresponsible breeding, and use it to run larg-scale adoption facilities that are also schools that teach real-world skills and qualities like "motivation" and "respect for others." In these we can find at least SOME decent youngsters to prepare for roles in business and industry--and over time the numbers of the truly hopeless will decline through attrition.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
All children who have irresponsible parents are punished; that ship has sailed. And you won't be doing anything but making the problem far worse and extensive, by setting up STONG financial incentives to breed babies on the Dole (in a nation where jobs and self-sufficiency are a sad memory).

You can keep trying to be all liberal and goody-goody, and end up with a nation where everyone starves together, because your society is 95% worthless and totally unmoticated.

Or you can understand that a SENSIBLE policy now is better than societal colllapse later, and change your system so that anyone breeding children they can't afford is given STRONG incentives to not do so again:
First child, taken away at birth and given for adoption (overseas, if necessary). Second child, same thing, along with permanent sterilization of the mentally-challenged breeder. Use all the money that currently encourages MORE irresponsible breeding, and use it to run larg-scale adoption facilities that are also schools that teach real-world skills and qualities like "motivation" and "respect for others." In these we can find at least SOME decent youngsters to prepare for roles in business and industry--and over time the numbers of the truly hopeless will decline through attrition.
You do realize you are advocating eugenics don't you? Not to mention violating a whole lot of constitutional liberty interests in the process.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:46 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Like most people, I don't balance the books when knocking the boots.
I'm sure most people would agree (poor or otherwise).

Old 04-09-2014, 05:00 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

Would you rather your taxes get used to keep them fed and sheltered, or to keep them fed and sheltered in prison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies