Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times

Advertisements

Yes, the state has become "Uncle Sugar Daddy". Moms do not need to be married, have an independent support system to have children. Just get pregnant and keep cranking out the crumb-snatchers and Uncle Sugar will give you more money. And have your worthless none-working boyfriend move in with you (except when social services comes around) and you will continue to receive the handouts. The school/church/community will raise your ankle biters mom, while you get drunk/high/thrown in jail. Saw this MANY times when I worked in a public trust position. See something similar these days on the higher end of the scale. Working well-to-do moms who get married, get pregnant, have kids, get their career and home(s) then can't wait to divorce hubby. And for some of the stupidest reasons too(no, NOT domestic abuse either). "Yes, I have used my husband well for all I've wanted, now it is time to get rid of him and raise my child as a single mom and have a part-time boyfriend". Makes me relieved that I am not in the single/dating scene these days. Still though, at least these latter moms are self-sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 09:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
I think people should have as many kids as they WANT and can SUPPORT.

No one should have kids expecting others to work extra to support them. If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

Having babies should not be the way to life-long retirement and govenment handouts.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:00 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
The ignorant, the stupid, the uninformed.

Future democratic voters.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
It doesn't matter what your opinions are on the topic, reality is that there is a growing number of people in poverty having and raising kids.
If the government doesn't subsidize them we will start seeing pockets of third world living conditions.

We have that already on the Texas border..they are called "Colonias".
You want to start seeing places like that pop up further in ?

BOR: Efforts to Enroll Colonia Residents in Health Care Continue Despite GOP Medicaid Expansion Refusal

Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
But what exactly do you propose we do? As much as I hate paying for other people's poor decisions, I'm not ready to throw the children (who are innocent in all of this) under the bus...
You need to understand that you are not only NOT helping any current children avoid the problems of poverty, but you are also creating thousands of children that will unnecessarily suffer lives of crime, violence, poverty and hopelessness in the future. Far too many women are having children out of wedlock and raising them in poverty, because there is no longer any societal censure, and no financial penalty (just the opposite) for doing so. Supporting a system that makes the problem WORSE is an act of evil--no matter what your motivation.

We no longer live in agrarian societies where children provide valuable labor for the family farm, and more labor equals more farm output and family wealth. Instead, modern civilization is limited by natural resources, rather than lack of labor to collect the natural resources. That means children are not an "investment," or anything other than a very expensive luxury purchase. It should make sense that the taxpayer should not be subsidizing (let alone paying the entire bill for) someone else's luxuries--even aside from the problem of creating more societally destructive behavior in the future.

If you really care so much for children, you need to be pushing for requiring long-term birth control or sterilization, in return for a single dollar of taxpayer support--at an absolute minimum.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:27 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Would you rather your taxes get used to keep them fed and sheltered, or to keep them fed and sheltered in prison?
Doesn't matter. We get to do the former now and the latter a few years down the road.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:01 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
I think comprehensive sex education should be taught in school. Start out early and, of course, age appropriate. Also make contraception easily available at a low cost. When you teach abstinence only, the kids still do it but they don't know how to protect themselves from pregnancy and STI's.

Some people wrote about their taxes going to pay for programs that help the poor. Here is a handy site from the White House. You can type in your 2013 numbers and see exactly how much you paid for. Note that defense and health care take 50% (about 25% each). Pretty nice tool.

Your 2013 Federal Taxpayer Receipt | The White House

Old 04-18-2014, 06:05 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Doesn't matter. We get to do the former now and the latter a few years down the road.
And yet there's never a discussion about cutting how much we spend to house and feed criminals, or figuring out ways to have less of them in that system.

It seems Conservatives only care about the cost of food and housing when it's free poor people getting it.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
you cant get welfare without them. cant get section 8, cant get medical, cant get job training at county expense.
kids are essential for the down and out.
you can you blame for bad behavior if you are not a victim "trying to raise a family"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies