Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:51 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times

Advertisements

wealth inequality is fine, extreme wealth inequality is not. Its a danger to our political leadership, and our society. Its economically damaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 04:07 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
wealth inequality is fine, extreme wealth inequality is not. Its a danger to our political leadership, and our society. Its economically damaging.
And there is a law that can rebalance that inequity. The minimum wage law. Set the minimum wage as a fraction of the very top. Pick a number any number but keep it there.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default Not with Slavery as the foundation

Slavery created gross inequities that have negatively impacted successive generations of descendants of slaves. The resulting "unearned privilege" must be eliminated. Those races who have been historically discriminated against, especially blacks and native Americans, must be made whole. Reparations would be one way to accomplish this.

Income/Wealth disparity is a natural by-product of Slavery and the resulting Conservative efforts to focus on what separates us, not what we all share. Conservatives want to preserve and increase the inequities. Unregulated "liberty" enables them to be bigots as a matter of course, doing what they can to increase the disparities.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Up the minimum wage and keep it going up to take the profit from gutting this country away from the gutters.
Right, because we all know that a $28/hour American is so highly competitive against a $0.60/hour Filipino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't generally debate health care or alternatives to Obamacare because I don't know enough about the subject.
Well, goddam, too bad more people aren't as morally courageous and refreshingly honest as you.

Quote:
A healthier population is a more productive population.
That's only true in a Zero Level Economy where you need every single person --including children --- working to farm to produce enough food to survive. And it would hold true for a 1st Level Economy to a great extent, but not so much for 2nd Level and above.

Quote:
The current U.S. system is a very long way from being a welfare state.
The US is insolvent, precisely because it is a Welfare State.

Quote:
As noted sociologist Alice Cooper explained:

"I can't get a car, 'cause I ain't got a job/I can't get a job, 'cause I ain't got a car..."
That's an excuse, not an explanation.

I walked, biked and rode the bus to work -- often at minimum wage jobs -- to pay my way through university, instead of getting Student Loans.

I shared an apartment, too, with several other people similarly situated. My goal was to set aside enough money not to buy a car, but to live alone while in graduate school (less chance I'd kill someone).

Once I was living alone, my goal was to save enough money to buy a car, which I bought a really cool Ford Thunderbird....used...it was 1994....but it looked good and I was stylin'.

The two Entitlement Generations just aren't willing to make short-term sacrifices for long-term gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
And there is a law that can rebalance that inequity. The minimum wage law. Set the minimum wage as a fraction of the very top. Pick a number any number but keep it there.
You already got debunked on that....but keep wasting band-width....need more CO2 in the atmosphere to drive up the average global temperature at least 10.8°F so that it equals the high global temperature average for the last Inter-Glacial Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Wealth inequality is 100% natural.
Wealth inequality does not exist....

Mircea

Old 04-10-2014, 06:16 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
The government should mandate that all people be paid the same. From the President to the toliet bowl scrubber. We are equal in the eyes of God, we should be equal in the eyes of each other. One for all, all for one. From him that makes too much, take and give to him that makes too little....
I know a Communist country you could emigrate to.......................

Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Government should be involved in modest redistribution
Absolutely not.

Quote:
enough to ensure the entire population has a basic minimum standard of living (food, clothing, shelter).
They can get a job and stop breeding like rabbits.

Quote:
Our government policy of the last 30 years has put wind to the sails of the technology revolution income explosion. Naturally, the most talented will get wealthier during booms. They don't need to be rewarded for it by record-low tax rates, tax shelters, barrier entry tax deductions, and other 1% tax loopholes.
And neither should the parasites, leeches and deadbeats of society.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:17 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Slavery created gross inequities that have negatively impacted successive generations of descendants of slaves. The resulting "unearned privilege" must be eliminated. Those races who have been historically discriminated against, especially blacks and native Americans, must be made whole. Reparations would be one way to accomplish this.

Income/Wealth disparity is a natural by-product of Slavery and the resulting Conservative efforts to focus on what separates us, not what we all share. Conservatives want to preserve and increase the inequities. Unregulated "liberty" enables them to be bigots as a matter of course, doing what they can to increase the disparities.
Well reparations will never ever happen...So...Yeah.

No we do not Nexus, We just want people to be unleashed by their abilities, and talents not to be bogged down in a regulation state.

So standing for liberty and freedom makes us bigots? Oh Nexus, will you ever learn?

Funny how left wing states have the highest income gaps, is it not?

Study: States That Voted for Obama Have Most Income Inequality

Go back to your Gulag.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:56 AM

89,008 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Disclaimer:

I am very much left leaning.

Wealth inequality is 100% natural.

HOWEVER, it is not the role of government to put wind to the sails. Government should be involved in modest redistribution; enough to ensure the entire population has a basic minimum standard of living (food, clothing, shelter).

Our government policy of the last 30 years has put wind to the sails of the technology revolution income explosion. Naturally, the most talented will get wealthier during booms. They don't need to be rewarded for it by record-low tax rates, tax shelters, barrier entry tax deductions, and other 1% tax loopholes.
Since you think there are so many loopholes, What do you think the effective tax rate is on the top 1%, given individual income tax, payroll tax, corporate tax, and estate tax?

Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 AM

89,008 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Until the federal government has a way to recoup the tax revenue they'll lose by narrowing the income gap (meaning the top 1% loses income share), it will never happen.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:07 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Until the federal government has a way to recoup the tax revenue they'll lose by narrowing the income gap (meaning the top 1% loses income share), it will never happen.
You seem to really think its all about the money for the government, and really I just dont see that. At least not in the way you do. I think that redistribution is necessary to some degree to grease the economic engine as it were. That too much concentration will actually cost the government money in the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies