Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand with gay marriage and gay sex?
I support the legalization same-sex marriages and I'm fine with gay sex. 60 54.55%
I support the legalization same-sex marriages and I'm not fine with gay sex. 10 9.09%
I don't support the legalization same-sex marriages and I'm fine with gay sex. 5 4.55%
I don't support the legalization same-sex marriages and I'm not fine with gay sex. 35 31.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'm not sure that is accurate. I knew at a very young age that I was attracted to girls.
You have no need to suppress your attractions. Many, many gay/bisexual people do. Often without realizing it.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Sure, but the libertarians are wrong because the state didn't outlaw gay marriage. People did. In fact, when the state overturns anti-gay marriage referendums, that's what should outrage you, if you're a libertarian.
No, that is decidedly unlibertarian!!!!

Yes the "people" voted is a referendum, but they voted to give the state the power to define marriage. Any form of legal marriage has made the state the arbiter of marriage. A libertarian position would be that marriage should not be a legal matter at all. Inheritance, visitation rights, medial power of attourney, adoption issues, these should all be handled by contract law for all individuals. Marriage would then be a private commitment only.

I do understand why opponents of gay marriage don't like this solution. It takes away their ability to use the inherent coercive power of government to make people use word the way they want them to be used. My thought is if you need the threat of violence (and all government power is ultimately coercive) to keep people using a word the way you want, maybe you should realize you have already lost the battle and adapt to the new normal...

-NoCapo

Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
That's great, except for the fact that marriage isn't a right. Up until that part, it was very compelling.
Then your disagreement is with the supreme court. They have stated that marriage is a civil right in 14 separate cases.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
My grandmother (God rest her soul) was left handed, and in school she was forced to learn to write with her right hand. I'm left handed, and by the time I was born that wasn't being done anymore. I can assure you, that I am not possessed by any demons. That is not to say I don't necessarily believe in demonic possession, because sure it's possible. But to think that one being left handed is a sign of it is completely asinine!
Exactly my point. At one time it was taboo to be left handed, just like it is currently taboo to be gay. Taboos change over time.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
No, there aren't a lot of gay couples. There aren't even a lot of gay people. People have been indoctrinated by popular culture to think there are. In fact, most people grossly overestimate how many gay people there are due to mass media. I think if you ask most people, they'd estimate that about 10-20% of people are gay. It's nowhere close. Go on city-data itself and look at most places and you'll see that gay population is a fraction of 1%.
The LGBT population is much more than 1%. Conservative estimates put it at 4-5%. I'd say it's at least closer to 10%, but I believe some degree of bisexuality is extremely underreported. Kinsey and Freud believed something like 80% of the human population was wired to be bisexual, but most people suppress it.

Regardless, Jews make up 1%, Asians 4%, Blacks 12%. LGBT is still the 2nd, if not largest minority in the country. Do you decide a groups's worth or value based in their statistical percentage of the population?

Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
No, that is decidedly unlibertarian!!!!

Yes the "people" voted is a referendum, but they voted to give the state the power to define marriage. Any form of legal marriage has made the state the arbiter of marriage. A libertarian position would be that marriage should not be a legal matter at all. Inheritance, visitation rights, medial power of attourney, adoption issues, these should all be handled by contract law for all individuals. Marriage would then be a private commitment only.

I do understand why opponents of gay marriage don't like this solution. It takes away their ability to use the inherent coercive power of government to make people use word the way they want them to be used. My thought is if you need the threat of violence (and all government power is ultimately coercive) to keep people using a word the way you want, maybe you should realize you have already lost the battle and adapt to the new normal...

-NoCapo
Are you taking the libertarian stance as stated above in your first paragraph?

Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The LGBT population is much more than 1%. Conservative estimates put it at 4-5%. I'd say it's at least closer to 10%, but I believe some degree of bisexuality is extremely underreported. Kinsey and Freud believed something like 80% of the human population was wired to be bisexual, but most people suppress it.

Regardless, Jews make up 1%, Asians 4%, Blacks 12%. LGBT is still the 2nd, if not largest minority in the country. Do you decide a groups's worth or value based in their statistical percentage of the population?

Hmmm... I guess in that case, then I'd be in the minority and you count me as one of the 20%.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:22 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Interesting, I hadn't read that before. However, I note a few things. The poster wrote that "most" animal species participate in homosexuality, which isn't true. Secondly, even people who use this example (and it's a lot of people, judging by my Google search) agree that this isn't homosexuality in any actual sense. Which makes sense. Even your article says that they have sex "to say hello" or "to solve conflicts." In other words, they're not "gay," they're just "horny" (essentially). People usually like to point to primates to "confirm" the nature of homosexuality, but unfortunately, most gay acts in the primate kingdom are aggressive in nature, as I pointed out (and which you don't want to address).

Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post

I never made any statement at all about the "worth or value" of a gay person and I defy you to find any place where I did.

All I stated was that homosexuality was abnormal (true), that they are in the vast minority (true), and that people support gay marriage these days to basically get the gay activists to shut up (I can't prove this definitively, but it's true).

Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks, but nothing you wrote here is actually true, even though you wrote it very emphatically.
And you know it's not true how?

Yale Scientific Magazine – Do Animals Exhibit Homosexuality?

Thus, not only do animals exhibit homosexuality, but the existence of this behavior is quite prevalent and may also confer certain evolutionary advantages.

1,500 animal species practice homosexuality

"One fundamental premise in social debates has been that homosexuality is unnatural. This premise is wrong. Homosexuality is both common and highly essential in the lives of a number of species," explains Petter Boeckman, who is the academic advisor for the "Against Nature's Order?" exhibition.

The most well-known homosexual animal is the dwarf chimpanzee, one of humanity's closes relatives. The entire species is bisexual. Sex plays an conspicuous role in all their activities and takes the focus away from violence, which is the most typical method of solving conflicts among primates and many other animals.

Keep denying reality all you want. It doesn't further your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies