Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times

Advertisements

April 9th, 1914 - Nine armed U.S. Navy sailors are arrested for being in an off-limits area in Tampico, Mexico. Although the sailors are released within 24 hours, with an informal apology, the Mexicans refused to raise the U.S. flag with a 21-gun salute as demanded by the U.S. Navy commander. President Wilson deploys Navy and Marine troops ahead of Congressional approval, in an operation that lasts over six months, killing 22 U.S. servicemembers, and at least 150 Mexicans.

It flippantly has been the single U.S. military action to date that awarded the most Medals of Honor (56) - The military's highest honor. One of those bestowed refused to wear the medal, claiming he had done nothing heroic. 100 years really isn't that long of time - What do you think of the ("heroic") actions of the United States, especially contrasted in the irony of modern relations with Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 PM

582 posts, read 779,134 times
I think that your statement is troll bate.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
It's gross arrogant American exceptionism.

Wasn't Wilson a liberal?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
April 9th, 1914 - Nine armed U.S. Navy sailors are arrested for being in an off-limits area in Tampico, Mexico. Although the sailors are released within 24 hours, with an informal apology, the Mexicans refused to raise the U.S. flag with a 21-gun salute as demanded by the U.S. Navy commander. President Wilson deploys Navy and Marine troops ahead of Congressional approval, in an operation that lasts over six months, killing 22 U.S. servicemembers, and at least 150 Mexicans.

It flippantly has been the single U.S. military action to date that awarded the most Medals of Honor (56) - The military's highest honor. One of those bestowed refused to wear the medal, claiming he had done nothing heroic. 100 years really isn't that long of time - What do you think of the ("heroic") actions of the United States, especially contrasted in the irony of modern relations with Mexico?
100 years isn't a long time?
That was before penicillin was discovered.

By the way, I noticed you didn't post the rest of the Wiki explanation for the event. The coup that had taken place, the revolutionary war, etc.

Nope.

According to you it was all about a few drunk sailors, which I find unlikely.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 PM

I did briefly see this response:

"Actually the United States occupation of Veracruz was a response to the Tampico Affair"

What were we responding to with the six month "occupation" of part of another country?

(You are correct that I quoted the the resulting occupation of Veracruz, but it is the anniversary of the initial "Tampico Affair")

Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
That was before penicillin was discovered...
Come on, I have a Grandmother almost that old...

Quote:
...By the way, I noticed you didn't post the rest of the Wiki explanation for the event. The coup that had taken place, the revolutionary war, etc.

Nope.

According to you it was all about a few drunk sailors, which I find unlikely.
And was there U.S. involvement in that coup, with Huerta being installed as President, and his predecessor being killed? I didn't say anything about the sailors being "drunk", they were actually on mission. I want to debate the background, in hindsight do you want your country doing this behavior that you won't hear out of an American history schoolbook?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:42 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
That was before penicillin was discovered.
Harrier's knows a 104 year old woman.

No - it isn't all that long ago.

Harrier was born 62 years after 1914.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
It's gross arrogant American exceptionism.

Wasn't Wilson a liberal?
Wilson was a progressive. A word that Hilllary prefers.

YouTube Debate: Hillary - Are You a Liberal? - YouTube

Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Come on, I have a Grandmother almost that old...

And was there U.S. involvement in that coup, with Huerta being installed as President, and his predecessor being killed? I didn't say anything about the sailors being "drunk", they were actually on mission. I want to debate the background, in hindsight do you want your country doing this behavior that you won't hear out of an American history schoolbook?
Ok, well I'm afraid I think the incident was a very small part of both American and Mexican history, and just one small part of the Mexican civil war. For that reason, I never bothered to study the incident other than it looks to me like the occupation had very little to do with some sailors being arrested, and more about the wider engagement.

So hopefully someone will come along that can talk with you more about the incident later.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
I think that your statement is troll bate.
bait, but you're right. Why would anyone join our military and stay for over 20 years with such obvious contempt for U.S. military actions? 1914? Gee, could we go back any further?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies