Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:56 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
MSNBC Guest Talks of Being 'Disabled' When She Realized She Was 'White'

Um, okay. I guess this is what white guilt looks like. I am pleased to say that I never and will never feel guilty for being white. What a sad, pathetic woman.
What's the funniest part of this story?

a) A white liberal just realized she was white.

b) MSNBC found her.

c) Someone watched MSNBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Why are people so obsessed with race? I used to like this forum to discuss politics, but now every other thread is about some racial issue. It gets tiring.

I did try to watch her clip, but it wouldn't play on my phone. I'm sure I am better off anyways.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:09 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
This makes me want to put on some footie pajamas and examine my white male privilege while sobbing into my cup of chamomile tea.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
So you people mocking her and mocking the idea of white privilege literally think there is no advantage in American society to being born white instead of black.

The difference between you and her is that she came to recognize the benefits to white skin and you're still ignoring the issue completely.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:17 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So you people mocking her and mocking the idea of white privilege literally think there is no advantage in American society to being born white instead of black.

The difference between you and her is that she came to recognize the benefits to white skin and you're still ignoring the issue completely.
Good analysis, has MSNBC contacted you yet?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:39 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
What's the funniest part of this story?

a) A white liberal just realized she was white.

b) MSNBC found her.

c) Someone watched MSNBC.
Can't rep you again, but I'll give !

Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times

Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Not every white person grew up in a two-parent home, went to great schools and great colleges. I was raised by a single mom in the '70s and '80s. She had a high school diploma and two young children, and no child support. There were no wage withholding orders in those days. We didn't own a home. We didn't have a lot of money. So I find it hard to feel our life was privileged. One thing my mom did well was teach the value of education and self-reliance. If we did poorly, there was no excuse.

However, my mom probably had an advantage over a black single mom in those days as she was able to get a good job as a legal secretary. Not sure that would be possible for many black women in our area at the time. So, I guess there was some benefit to being white, though it still wasn't a lot. We did not live in an all white town like the woman on MSNBC did. This was an age where there were many highly educated black people started making great successes of themselves. Our congresswoman was Barbara Jordan. She was greatly admired by many, and still is today.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:23 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Didn't Steve Martin make a show about this called "The Jerk" where he discovered he was white ?

That was pretty funny. Maybe the lady needs a Black family to live with.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
I guess it sells books. The stupid crap liberals will buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies