Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:07 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The catholic church did this during crusades. They stole much wealth and even went as far as exhuming dead bodies. History repeats.

How much wealth do dead bodies have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:23 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Credit card companies have been doing this for years and years. They actually harass relatives of debtors.

Apparently the government is trying to reduce the deficit by going after deadbeats. Are you against this? Do you think the government should give amnesty to debtors?
Completely disagree with you.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,917,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Credit card companies have been doing this for years and years. They actually harass relatives of debtors.

Apparently the government is trying to reduce the deficit by going after deadbeats. Are you against this? Do you think the government should give amnesty to debtors?
How does this sound like dead beats? There is no proof of debt according to this story. Not even proper due diligence.

FEMA did this also. Where is due process? Proof? What kind of business pays people incorrectly, can't document it and shows up over ten years later to take people's money?

This is largely due to debt pool investing/securitzation. The govt and friends invest in keeping people in debt. NM govt investment in the bank shares themselves.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,389,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. Obama's federal government is hurting for money. And people don't believe me that such is why Obama's policies have pumped up the income of the top 1%, the highest federal income tax rate payers, while sacrificing more and more of the middle class dropping them down to the SNAP and Medicaid rolls.
Which Obama policies?

We hear "Obama's (economic) policies hurt the economy" in every thread but I've yet to hear of a single policy.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:43 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,772,048 times
Just wait until people who got Obama's Medicaid expansion insurance. Wait until those people die.

The government will just seize remaining assets and estates as a repayment for Medicaid benefits. Loved ones thinking they may inherit some assets are in for a rude awakening.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:52 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,421,626 times
The treasury department is going after people by the shadiest of means. However, the bigger question I have is what Senator or Congressman added the line into the 2008 Farm Bill that is allowing them to do this. Who is actually responsible for it? Prior to that one line change the government could not go after such debts that were more than 10 years old.

This, to my mind, is one of the far more egregious sins our politicians are committing at this point. They slip all this BS into totally unrelated legislation. There is no such thing as a clean bill anymore.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,917,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
The treasury department is going after people by the shadiest of means. However, the bigger question I have is what Senator or Congressman added the line into the 2008 Farm Bill that is allowing them to do this. Who is actually responsible for it? Prior to that one line change the government could not go after such debts that were more than 10 years old.

This, to my mind, is one of the far more egregious sins our politicians are committing at this point. They slip all this BS into totally unrelated legislation. There is no such thing as a clean bill anymore.
One can look it up and see the changes introduced, etc... However, often entities like ALEC write bills so it still will only tell one so much.
Think this is the right bill. Some background. There is a link to the bill with amendments listed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food,_...gy_Act_of_2008

Here this section looks applicable. Beware the infamous "for other purposes".
http://www.theorator.com/bills110/text/hr2419.html
quote:
Subtitle D--Other Miscellaneous Provisions

Sec. 11314. Elimination of statute of limitations applicable to collection of debt by administrative offset.

Petition related to this?
Petition | Repeal statute of limitations on Social Security ...

quote:
My friend received notice that the survivor benefits she received as a teen due to her mother's death were now owed back to the federal government because she shouldn't have gotten them as she made too much money. She worked part-time at a restaurant at 16 back in 1975. They say she received checks for years she didn't receive anything and they're taking it out of her tax refund this year. They don't even have to prove she received it or signed the checks they sent! She didn't get benefits for the years they are claiming she was overpaid. It was over 35 years ago! And here is the story of another woman this happened to as well: http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/us-treasury-irs-statute-limitations-tax-grab-208436421.html. ;

Last edited by CDusr; 04-11-2014 at 09:20 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,566,362 times
I wish I hadn't read this thread. If anyone should be fair to us, it should be the government. What really is not fair is that same government takes our hard earned money and throws it away in other countries and uses it to feed and house and medically treat those here illegally. What I am thinking is that we need a change from this administration's communist practices.

How can you hold someone responsible for something they had no control over? We need a responsible Supreme Court ruling on this injustice.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:08 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I wish I hadn't read this thread. If anyone should be fair to us, it should be the government. What really is not fair is that same government takes our hard earned money and throws it away in other countries and uses it to feed and house and medically treat those here illegally. What I am thinking is that we need a change from this administration's communist practices.

How can you hold someone responsible for something they had no control over? We need a responsible Supreme Court ruling on this injustice.
No surprise that it happened while Democrats had a supermajority.

The blame rests entirely on the shoulders of Barack Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi because they were responsible for shepherding the bill through for the President's signature.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:13 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,421,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
One can look it up and see the changes introduced, etc... However, often entities like ALEC write bills so it still will only tell one so much.
Think this is the right bill. Some background. There is a link to the bill with amendments listed.
Thanks for the info but I'll freely admit I don't have enough time in my day to look up who put in one line on a large bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No surprise that it happened while Democrats had a supermajority.

The blame rests entirely on the shoulders of Barack Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi because they were responsible for shepherding the bill through for the President's signature.
Because I'm a believer in none of them being pure and innocent and there being plenty of blame for them all, you have to share some of it with Bush since he was the sitting president. No matter the reasons, he did sign it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies