Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Like the one being tossed about in Seattle, where it would go from the State's (9.30 an hour) to 15 per hour.

Even 15 an hour would still not be that good anywhere 10 miles or less from Downtown Seattle, but every little bit helps.

My fear is not the BS argument that jobs would be lost. It's greedy landlords taking advantage of higher pay from workers and making any raise, or increased salaries (like what's happening in Western ND where the wages have been raised, but not by state law) a wash.

In a totally free enterprise system, there doesn't seem to be any way to stop landlords from raising rents. Unless you have rent control. It's just pure greed. I'm sure a landlord lived comfortably, on whatever income they may have got, from when most of his tenants wages were X amount of dollars. Now that their income has increased (hypothetically) by 25-35%, the landlord wants that money so he can buy a new boat or something.

Minimum wage laws only work, when property owners are willing to cooperate. If they're not and there's no legal way to stop them, the thing they're trying to do in Seattle, if it passed, will make Seattle into another San Francisco. Even their min wage of $12 per hour, isn't **** there. Should be more like 20 there.
raising the min wage helps no-one..but hurts many

who employes most americans.....small business

small business have a very small profit ratio

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:

Quote:
here is an example of what will happen with this 'raising'

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED currently at 7.20

I pay my UNSKILLED laborers (that clean the shop) over $9 an hour, the min wage is $7.2

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$24/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$22/hr
I have a parts manager...$22/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$14
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$12
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$9 (2 over min)

minimum wage is $7.2

the 'government' raises the minimum wage to 15

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 15.. and he will WANT $17 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $17 then the driver (must maintain a clean license) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

either that or you will make what was 'above' min wage skilled worker to being min wage workers

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....
I would to raise salaries on mech helpers, drivers, and laborers...not to mention the actual SKILLED workers....meanwhile the business will end up failing, because it not is too costly to stay in business

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......because as a small shop owner I cant afford to give any more than I am giving
this is just one example of what is happening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
A fast-food manager is talking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him. He says, "I've got good news, and I've got bad news."

"The good news is, the new Minimum Wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
A fast-food manager is talking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him. He says, "I've got good news, and I've got bad news."

"The good news is, the new Minimum Wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."
Maybe you should be asking the manager why the business is not prospering enough to pay your employee more. Manager many times are the most overpaid person in fast food when most of what they do is stand around and tell people what to do. If a business can not pay their employees more it usually because of two things they are running a business badly or they are greedy.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Maybe you should be asking the manager why the business is not prospering enough to pay your employee more.
Uh ...so your monster rebuttal is "if you can't pay your employees more, then ask yourself why you didn't make more money so you could"?

If I actually wrote what I and everyone else is thinking right now, I'd be banned, so consider yourself fortunate.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
It's amazing that a few liberals still believe that the purpose of a business is to "provide viable livings" for its employees, rather than creating products or services to make a profit.

And incredibly, they even believe it's a role of government to force businesses to do the former instead of the latter, and then leave the business to pick up the pieces as best they can.
In Western ND, no government dictated minimum wages of usually 16 dollars per hour and they have an unemployment rate of 2%. The said things is, the landlords messed that up by tripling rents. The employers had to do that to keep up with demand of workers, so it's not always government.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Maybe you should be asking the manager why the business is not prospering enough to pay your employee more. Manager many times are the most overpaid person in fast food when most of what they do is stand around and tell people what to do. If a business can not pay their employees more it usually because of two things they are running a business badly or they are greedy.

A. You apparently don't know anyone who manages a fast food restaurant.
B. You apparently never go into fast food restaurants.

While it's been quite a few years since I did the middle management thing, your statement is full of misinformation and, quite frankly, downright lies. Fast food managers work harder than any of their employees, are expected to be available at all hours of the day or night in order to deal with problems, and aren't paid nearly enough for the work that they do. A fast food manager has to be able to do any task that is needed in the restaurant, from flipping burgers to running the register to cleaning the bathrooms. On top of this, they are required to make the weekly schedule for the employees (which should be worth $20k a year just for dealing with the whiny ones that "can only work on Tuesday and Thursday" but don't understand why they aren't making decent money). They also have to account for inventory, cash on hand, bank deposits, maintenance, deliveries, and just about everything else in the restaurant. And they are expected to do this for an average salary of $30k to $40k a year.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Uh ...so your monster rebuttal is "if you can't pay your employees more, then ask yourself why you didn't make more money so you could"?

If I actually wrote what I and everyone else is thinking right now, I'd be banned, so consider yourself fortunate.
Okay you did not even rebuttal what I wrote you just said you did not agree with it. You should be banned because you are probably a troll.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
A. You apparently don't know anyone who manages a fast food restaurant.
B. You apparently never go into fast food restaurants.

While it's been quite a few years since I did the middle management thing, your statement is full of misinformation and, quite frankly, downright lies. Fast food managers work harder than any of their employees, are expected to be available at all hours of the day or night in order to deal with problems, and aren't paid nearly enough for the work that they do. A fast food manager has to be able to do any task that is needed in the restaurant, from flipping burgers to running the register to cleaning the bathrooms. On top of this, they are required to make the weekly schedule for the employees (which should be worth $20k a year just for dealing with the whiny ones that "can only work on Tuesday and Thursday" but don't understand why they aren't making decent money). They also have to account for inventory, cash on hand, bank deposits, maintenance, deliveries, and just about everything else in the restaurant. And they are expected to do this for an average salary of $30k to $40k a year.
Have you even worked at a restaurant? Managers at fast food do not have to be their day and night they work 1 shift which may be up to 12 hours but that is not day and night. Maybe a manager may have many things they can do but they mainly ask their employees to do it. If there is a mess in the bathroom rarely will the manager do it. I am not saying they do nothing but many times they sit in their office while their employees are working hard. From all the places I have worked I have found the managers do a lot less then employees. Many fast food restaurants have multiple managers so they may not have to do all the things you listed. Only one manager needs to do scheduling and they can take turns the same with bank deposits, maintenance, deliveries and other things.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 PM

709 posts, read 656,632 times
Quote:
Okay you did not even rebuttal what I wrote you just said you did not agree with it. You should be banned because you are probably a troll.
There's nothing to rebuke; your "argument" wasn't an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle
Have you even worked at a restaurant? Managers at fast food do not have to be their day and night they work 1 shift which may be up to 12 hours but that is not day and night. Maybe a manager may have many things they can do but they mainly ask their employees to do it. If there is a mess in the bathroom rarely will the manager do it. I am not saying they do nothing but many times they sit in their office while their employees are working hard. From all the places I have worked I have found the managers do a lot less then employees. Many fast food restaurants have multiple managers so they may not have to do all the things you listed. Only one manager needs to do scheduling and they can take turns the same with bank deposits, maintenance, deliveries and other things.
So, is it safe to assume that you are a fast food worker? That would explain your animosity toward the management...

Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Yes, I used to manage fast food restaurants. While there are assistant managers, there is only one manager and he/she is the one responsible for everything that goes on. And yes, the manager is on call at all hours, and a good manager is expected to do anything their employees do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies