Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:03 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times

Advertisements

Since it seems the girl didn't even question a $200 tip I'd say she is too stupid for anybody to want to hire her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 06:16 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
You know what, you are correct. At all of the multiple IHOPs and Denny's in multiple states that I've been too, the customer takes the bill up to the cashier to pay... That is an important point that you've brought up.
The Ihop in my town doesn't even have a cashier. You give your bill and CC back to the server.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:45 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I've never had a breakfast bill for one person come out to $25 and I've eaten at some all you can eat breakfast buffets. If this guy was alone, he had some expensive tastes( steak and eggs) or he had multiple ala cart items. IHOP was always too pricey IMO for what you got and at best the service was only okay. Add screaming obnoxious children and their loud oafish parents into the mix and its just a place that's easy to pass by. Luckily our closest one is across town so there's no temptation to go there.
I think you had some cash strapped dork or geezer who wanted to eat like a glutton and pretend to be a big shot and give the pretty waitress a thrill by giving her a big tip. Or maybe he was drunk which made him overly generous and less rational . Then he scammed her by refusing it. She should have just turned it over and let karma take over. Again, that's IHOP for you.
At least she didn't fabricate some racist or sexist note and try to get national media attention over it.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:54 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Lets be fair, the girl isnt wrong either. The man left a $200 tip, even if he now says it wasnt on purpose.
I disagree.

Since the total didn't read "$225.76" it should have been questioned.

Me thinks she knew this wasn't a $200.00 tip therefore in my eyes she stole the money. It's a shame she got away with it too. No way would I have offered her job back as I would not want a dishonest employee working for me.

I find it hard to imagine that her service was so bad the customer didn't mean to leave her more than a $2.00 tip but my understanding is some people are this way.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/...180441300.html

Where is critical thought? If I saw a $200 tip on a $25 bill...I would hold the line.

This girl is dirty and she knows it.
This entitlement mindset is prevalent in America and is particularly corrosive among African-Americans. I'm disheartened that IHOP would even entertain the idea of hiring her back.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:55 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This entitlement mindset is prevalent in America and is particularly corrosive among African-Americans. I'm disheartened that IHOP would even entertain the idea of hiring her back.
If I was her manager, I'd go through her other tickets and make sure they were all legit also.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:03 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
The waitress should have asked her customer if that was the correct amount of tip he intended to give her. An honest server would have confirmed the generous tip, in my opinion.

By the way, I had this happen to me once. That "mistake" of difficulty reading my writing on a receipt cost me a bundle, but I didn't complain to management when I discovered it on my monthly bill. I decided if the server was that hard up, he could keep the money. I, however, never patronized that restaurant again.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-13-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 08:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
She is a young women......how much could she have working at IHOPS???

That was huge to her.

And at least she is working...unlike many others her age.

We have no idea if the tip was changed at all.

Could her reaction been more mature???? Yes!!!

But, learning is what youth is about......what is the saying????

"When I was a child I thought like a child".

Old 04-13-2014, 03:13 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,248 times
That's not a child....sorry

Old 04-13-2014, 03:40 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Skillet View Post
That's why they call it a "tip". I've been known to tip extremely well for good looking ladies who brightened my day and didn't ***t on me that day like everybody else. Not $200 worth, but I have left $20 before. Nobody likes a beyotch!
Moderator cut: snip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Skillet View Post
Exactly what he wanted her to think and say. Thus the reason for leaving such a large tip. He wanted her to remember him. It's done all the time when "a guy" thinks she is the bees knees...OR finds her very attractive or a very nice person that gave him "what" he needed that day.

Who knows, maybe he was going to drive his car off a bridge later and she stopped him?!?! Yes, it's true, miracles happen.
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
Oh...according to the waitress she says "He says that was his handwriting"

So, the manager was able to verify a strangers handwriting? If there is any kind of logic that would lead to the conclusion that the manager can confirm that it is, in fact, that specific strangers handwriting...please school me.

No, the CUSTOMER stated it was his handwriting and he wanted to tip $2.00
It was a week later, after the guy left the badly written receipt. You think that the manager couldn't have verified with that customer in a week's time?

As for the waitress...if I dug really deep down, I suppose I could find it in me to say, "okay, she actually thought it was a $200.00 tip" but that is really stretching it. If I saw something like that, I would ask first, just to make sure. She even said, "it was crazy". Yeah, it was, so maybe verify it?

However, all of that goes out the window when she found out that the customer did not intend to give her a $200.00, and she refused to pay it back. They shouldn't be offering her job back just because this got attention.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-13-2014 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies