Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 05:46 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We are philosophically against the ACA, but must admit that we are benefiting from it right now.
Probably philosophically against all "big government" but benefiting, or soon to benefit, from Social Security & Medicare. The ultimate voter hypocrisy of our age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:49 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Probably philosophically against all "big government" but benefiting, or soon to benefit, from Social Security & Medicare. The ultimate voter hypocrisy of our age.
Umm, although I agree and disapproved of her actions, on the other hand it's also rather specious for people to act like she's crazy. In other words, if someone is giving out free money, it takes a VERY principled person to say no to it. That's why liberalism is so easy to accept, not -- as they claim -- because people agree with them.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:51 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
You conservatives boggle my mind.
I know. They'll be happy to get on Medicare which is single payer for Americans over 65 which is COMPLETE government control of healthcare, but philosophically they are against the ACA? This is a kind of thinking that makes no sense to a rational mind.

For conservatives when we they are honest it all comes down to hatred of other Americans. That's what she doesn't like. The ACA is going to help those people sucking on the government teat who are undeserving blah, blah, blah. See in her world Medicare recipients are entitled even though very few pay the costs of what they use. Guess whose overwhelmingly Medicare recipients? They are the deserving Americans so a completely government controlled healthcare system for them is freedom. Pathetic.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I know. They'll be happy to get on Medicare ...
That's actually a lie (but unsurprising, considering it's you) because you don't allow anyone to opt out of Medicare and then liberals turn around and call everyone on it a hypocrite.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Umm, although I agree and disapproved of her actions, on the other hand it's also rather specious for people to act like she's crazy. In other words, if someone is giving out free money, it takes a VERY principled person to say no to it. That's why liberalism is so easy to accept, not -- as they claim -- because people agree with them.
Investing in social security and national insurance is not "free money", perhaps you need to research the subject a little better.

Quote:
That's actually a lie (but unsurprising, considering it's you) because you don't allow anyone to opt out of Medicare and then liberals turn around and call everyone on it a hypocrite.
What senior citizen prefers to opt-out of Medicare?? Most grind out their final years of employment simply because they can't afford to retire before becoming Medicare-eligible. Like I said, do your research...if they had an employer who provided life-long coverage, that remains their primary plan, with Medicare as a backup.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:56 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
2015 rates will be available in not that much time in the grand scheme of things. We'll see whose crystal ball is more clear.

Edit:

I dunno -- I think it's reasonable to recognize that a law is bad policy, vote for politicians who are against it, but exploit it for your own needs because hey, you're paying taxes for it and for a lot more redistribution which you are paying for and getting nothing out of.

I mean, if you're a responsible member of society there's nothing wrong with occasionally taking advantage of these things when you can because on the net you are still paying in much more than you are taking out, lessens the blow somewhat, as long as you don't make a lifestyle of it and as long as you keep voting for the right thing for the country.
I have not made any predictions. I have no crystal ball.

As for the rest of your post you could have saved it.

Here is your illogical position, for you the current numbers are irrelevant because they look good for the ACA. Wait until the guaranteed future bad numbers come because you just know the law is bad and in the future, the future it will be horrible.

This is what I mean about conservatives reality is irrelevant.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:57 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We are philosophically against the ACA, but must admit that we are benefiting from it right now. My husband is too young for Medicare, but was forced to retire early. No way would we have been able to afford coverage, if he could even get any.
Now he has a Platinum plan for about $350. with a $1500. annual out of pocket.
It is now only April and he has met the deductible. So for the next year, until he can get Medicare, we will be happy to not have to worry about an illness wiping us out.
We feel sort of guilty about it, but since we've spent our whole lives paying for everyone in the country who is living off the public teat, we'll get over it.
Thank you for your honesty. And this is why the GOP pushing for repeal is going to backfire on them. Here you have people who self identify as Conservatives, but who are benefiting from the law and don't want to go back to the way it was, who are going to either have to vote against their own best interests or vote against the party they've always supported. I think the GOP is going to find out repeal without something concrete to take its place is going to be a losing argument for them in the long run.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
What senior citizen prefers to opt-out of Medicare?? Most grind out their final years of employment simply because they can't afford to retire before becoming Medicare-eligible.
No senior citizen, which is perfectly reasonable since they've been in the system for their entire life. I'm referring to how Republicans constantly propose opt-out and privatization systems and are not allowed.

It's irrelevant to me what you want to say about senior citizens because liberals put the entire country on the program and then raised them in it, so I hardly care if a senior citizen believes in the program.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Investing in social security and national insurance is not "free money", perhaps you need to research the subject a little better.
Yeah, it is. You need to research the subject a little better before you try talking to people who know more about it than yourself.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
It's irrelevant to me what you want to say about senior citizens because liberals put the entire country on the program and then raised them in it, so I hardly care if a senior citizen believes in the program.
Fine, that's all you had to say. Politics matters more to you than people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies