Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 03:12 PM

1,136 posts, read 938,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
pre-existing conditions
Good to know that you compromised your principles based on a fallacious understanding of what insurance is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 03:13 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,255,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Repeal and replace with single payer, it is the only option to fully satisfy everyone who wants the government out of the insurance market, pre-existing conditions covered, small business can start without having to worry about plans, business can expand without paying for healthcare and no tax for not being able to get a plan. It works in Europe and Canada.
If everyone would pay the same I would agree.

But, that would never be the case here.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Repeal and replace with single payer, it is the only option to fully satisfy everyone who wants the government out of the insurance market, pre-existing conditions covered, small business can start without having to worry about plans, business can expand without paying for healthcare and no tax for not being able to get a plan. It works in Europe and Canada.
Um, you realize that when most people say "single payer," they actually mean "the government," right? Although, technically, you're right. It should be "single payer" as in "you pay for yourself."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If everyone would pay the same I would agree.
Why would everyone pay the same? That would be silly.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:19 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,710,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
ACA is front loaded with goodies so people will like it now.

We will just have to wait five years and see how this plays out.
The only real goodies that I know about are lifting the lifetime cap and lifting pre-existing conditions. The other stuff like a free colonoscopy at age 60 or one wellness check really doesnt add much. The pregnancy benefit could cost more than expected but that remains to be seen. One of the big flaws of the ACA is the penalites are not that great for going without insurance. If you get cancer, congestive heart failure etc. Just wait for the next open enrollment. The Republican plan from Coburn-Burr would make someone trying to get back in pay a lot more in premiums. In a way you could call the ACA a very Republican friendly plan. Republicans who dont like the ACA can stay outside it and then if they feel the need enroll during an open enrollment period.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:23 PM

132 posts, read 117,248 times
I just want my old insurance back! It cost them approx $250 per month for me because of how good of physical shape I am in and have no serious conditions.

If they stuck it to me this bad, what must it be like for people who are married and have a bunch of kids? What about poor health and serious medical conditions? Even something like say diabetes is a major concern now, let alone the 400 pounder who gets winded getting out of their car.

Rant off:

Old 04-13-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
In a way you could call the ACA a very Republican friendly plan.
Yeah, and in the same way you could say that your post was right!

Old 04-13-2014, 03:24 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,255,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Um, you realize that when most people say "single payer," they actually mean "the government," right? Although, technically, you're right. It should be "single payer" as in "you pay for yourself."

Why would everyone pay the same? That would be silly.
I know.....that is why it won't work.

I like the idea of I will pay for my insurance and you pay for yours.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:26 PM

32,004 posts, read 36,637,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
So we did not need to mandate coverage to ensure huge profits for insurance companies?
I am confused, did Obama just put that in for quid pro quo for the huge campaign contributions by insurance companies? Say it ain't so...
I'm not a huge fan of the way the mandate was handled, although I agree that you've somehow gotta get rid of the free riders.

Quote:
Besides, I have never heard of a single issue that some liberal did not think could be made better by some kind of government regulation. That is why we currently have so many regulations they would fill airplane hangers and are completely impossible for any person much less a layman to understand or be in compliance with, which makes every single person in the US a criminal for being out of compliance with government regulations.
I tend to agree. Smaller government and fewer regulations is a good thing.

However, that's not the problem when it comes to getting rid of the pre-existing condition issue. That's simply an actuarial adjustment that insurance companies make all the time.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
However, that's not the problem when it comes to getting rid of the pre-existing condition issue. That's simply an actuarial adjustment that insurance companies make all the time.
Huh, it's just an actuarial adjustment? Fascinating!

Old 04-13-2014, 03:33 PM

32,004 posts, read 36,637,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Skillet View Post
I just want my old insurance back! It cost them approx $250 per month for me because of how good of physical shape I am in and have no serious conditions.

If they stuck it to me this bad, what must it be like for people who are married and have a bunch of kids? What about poor health and serious medical conditions? Even something like say diabetes is a major concern now, let alone the 400 pounder who gets winded getting out of their car.

Rant off:
What happens if you get cancer or get smashed by some yahoo with no insurance?

One of my buddies, who everybody thought was healthy as a horse, came over to work on my car one day and started feeling sick. Three days later they diagnosed him colon cancer. Two major operations, a year of chemo and radiation, etc. He was only 39.

NOBODY is bullet proof and it's foolish to think you can't get zapped out of the blue with a major medical issue. It happens to tens of thousands of people every single day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies