Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,851,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Great, so all we need is a Civil Rights Act of 2014 to protect free speech for employees and you would start clapping furiously.
I stated a fact. I did not state I agreed with the act. Only a dumbass would not be able to understand that.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:31 PM

1,136 posts, read 939,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I stated a fact. I did not state I agreed with the act. Only a dumbass would not be able to understand that.
Oh, good, so you agree with me about the fact that people can decide who to associate with.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,851,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Oh, good, so you agree with me about the fact that people can decide who to associate with.
No, the right of association is denied most businesses.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Do you think we should pass legislation to protect employee rights to free speech in companies without penalty?
No.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:01 PM

1,136 posts, read 939,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, the right of association is denied most businesses.
Nope.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:15 PM

31,955 posts, read 14,961,849 times
Quote:
If I say cuss words very loudly in a work meeting (private sector company job) in front of upper management in say the middle of an annual report slide presentation

And start shouting four-letter words and taking off articles of clothing

If one gets fired for this, why isn't this a violation of their free speech rights? I though we endorse freedom of expression in America.

Explain

LOL are you serious? Please tell me you didn't do that. I would have fired you too. You absolutely have freedom of speech but there are consequences to your actions. You are supposed to be a professional and should act like one instead of throwing a major temper tantrum.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:37 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,774,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

France might be a better place for you.

Tell that to Brigitte Bardot, who's been fighting with her own country for decades over her spoken and written opinions.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,108,889 times
Quote:
If I say cuss words very loudly in a work meeting (private sector company job) in front of upper management in say the middle of an annual report slide presentation

And start shouting four-letter words and taking off articles of clothing

If one gets fired for this, why isn't this a violation of their free speech rights? I though we endorse freedom of expression in America.

Explain
Explain....what?

The Constitution is a contract between you and the government. I am not the government...so the Constitution is not a contract between you and I...or you and anyone else.

I'm not seeing anything there that a 2nd Grader could not understand.

By definition, it is impossible for government to grant Rights.

The reason is that Rights are inherent and innate to the Individual; to the Self; Rights are a function of being...part and parcel of existence, and Rights cost nothing.

I exist; therefore I may criticize or praise any government whenever it suits me. If it suits me to say nothing at all, that is my Right as well.

I exist; therefore I may defend myself, my property and others from death, injury or loss, if I so choose to do so.

I exist; therefore I may assemble peaceably. I am also free from assembly....like unions...or churches.

Notice that those Rights cost nothing.

I exist, therefore I am secure in my person and property, and free from unreasonable searches. Again, it costs nothing.

I exist, therefore I am free of kangaroo courts and false witnesses and trials delayed intentionally in an attempt to break my will (psychologically)....and that costs nothing either.

See how easy that is?

Educating the people union teachers were too incompetent to educate...

Mircea

Old 04-14-2014, 12:30 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,426,054 times
Quote:
Do you think we should pass legislation to protect employee rights to free speech in companies without penalty? And cannot be fired unless the speech results in imminent danger to the corporation's financial existence?
No.

Why should the government interfere between an employer rights to hire and fire at will, and a employees rights to quit?

if you dont like the speech policies, quit

Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM

16,631 posts, read 15,583,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
And what does that have to do with the discussion at hand - which is why many people don't understand that freedom of speech only limits the governments power to suppress speech?
Stupidity about constitutional rights is certainly NOT a liberal/conservative issue. After seeing hundreds of posts where conservative Christians show their lack of understanding of the 1st Amendment, it has become abundantly clear that the lack of understanding of one's rights is not a one-sided issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.