Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 04:35 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No. You are equating types of employment with race and that is not the case. No race was excluded as long as the FICA taxes were paid.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:38 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
I get what he's saying (to an extent):

With the more freedom we get, the less the black family stays together. Right now, 70-something% of black kids are being raised by a single parent. The gap continues to grow.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:02 PM

271 posts, read 341,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No. You are equating types of employment with race and that is not the case. No race was excluded as long as the FICA taxes were paid.
Now its the FICA taxes? LOL...But you said they were excluded because of SS taxes,remember when you said that?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I get what he's saying (to an extent):

With the more freedom we get, the less the black family stays together. Right now, 70-something% of black kids are being raised by a single parent. The gap continues to grow.
This stat is literally quoted several times daily...On this board and on conservative news shows.This stat gets repeated over and over..Nevermind that it has been debunked from several angles. And now when people use it,they basically use it as a smoke screen because they can never elaborate on it when questioned. (probably because the right wing talking heads on conservative media outlets don't tell them what else to say about those bogus stats)

Old 04-25-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
You make no sense.

How were black people excluded from participating in SS? Please note examples.
Im assuming you read thru the posts now and you have seen me discuss this in here.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:31 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello212 View Post
Im assuming you read thru the posts now and you have seen me discuss this in here.
Yes. I can fully understand and appreciate some of RK's earlier comments. He opens up room for me to review and consider what might have actually happened. However, your comments leave me wondering if you actually have a good grasp with regard to black people and their SS woes.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Yes. I can fully understand and appreciate some of RK's earlier comments. He opens up room for me to review and consider what might have actually happened. However, your comments leave me wondering if you actually have a good grasp with regard to black people and their SS woes.
So if you have a better grasp of what they were saying,well maybe you can educate ME.. If social security taxes did not exist before 1935,why did the United States create SS and in it's inception at the very beginning deliberately exclude Black Americans?

Was it systematic racism, which is the most LOGICAL answer because at the time there were literally SIGNS all around the US that excluded Black people from many forms of activity. (such as No Blacks..No Coloreds,etc)...So is it really a stretch that yet ANOTHER program was designed to exclude Blacks?
Or is that too far fetched?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They didn't pay. Just like Connecticut teachers, white, black, or any other race don't pay and therefore are ineligible to collect SS benefits. Race has nothing to do with it.

What do you not get about that?
Why then when there was nothing to pay before 1935,when the government started ss,whites got benefits and blacks did not..At the very start of ss..No one paid for it before because it did not exist.So again,why did whites get it and blacks did not?
If you repeat the same things you repeated before,I will take this as you do NOT have an answer,and you are trying to create a smokescreen to detour from the fact that you have no answer.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I have mixed feelings on this. What do you think? As far as material wealth is concerned, we are all better off. But poverty and incarceration still disproportionately affect blacks.

Are We Better Off 50 Years After The Civil Rights Act? - YouTube

Isn't that the same thing that Nevada rancher said? Where are all the hand wringers that called out Mr. Bundy for the same thing?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Isn't that the same thing that Nevada rancher said? Where are all the hand wringers that called out Mr. Bundy for the same thing?
Funny you say that because Manning actually agrees with him.

On Cliven Bundy Picking Cotton: I, James David Manning, Have Context - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies