Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 04:36 PM

947 posts, read 1,463,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I notice that those statistics consider a perpetrator a "serial killer" at the two-homicide point. That pulls in a lot of common criminals that I doubt most people consider by the term "serial killer."
2320 serial killers over 110 years is actually not that many considering the US population and growth of said population. Also serial killers operating in multiple countries were not counted.

" who killed at least two people, representing two or more individual events, with a cooling off period between the events."

That is the textbook definition of a serial killer by the FBI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 05:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
He's 100% right. Black liberalism has destroyed the black family. Prior to integration, 70% of black children were born to married couples, now its the opposite, 70% are born out of wedlock. Also liberals told black women they couldn't have a man in the house if they wanted government aid. Also back then you had thriving black communities, and thriving businesses that served those communities. After integration all the black people who had money left, and those same neighborhoods turned into ghettos overnight.
So obviously your solution to the problem is to ban all government welfare.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:11 PM

39,843 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Do you also have a reading comprehension problem?

I said:"OTOH, we see the same things beginning to affect white families during the same period. The "mommy alone" curve for whites has been much flatter, but that's because they began with a stronger social system (the system for black communities had been kept puny by racism in both the North and the South)."

And then you present a graph that shows precisely what I said and somehow think it's contradicting me.
OK, right. It's white people that make black women spread their legs for anyone that comes along, and for the sperm doner to be deadbeat trash? Far from all blacks are like that...are you saying white people cause some blacks to behave like that?

Honestly, the thing that whites have done that HAS encouraged that behavior is 50 years of unrestrained welfare spending and handouts creating generations of sloth and dependency. And yes, there was a degree of racism involved...those promoting these causes assumed incorrectly that blacks are unable of providing for themselves.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:25 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
2320 serial killers over 110 years is actually not that many considering the US population and growth of said population. Also serial killers operating in multiple countries were not counted.

" who killed at least two people, representing two or more individual events, with a cooling off period between the events."

That is the textbook definition of a serial killer by the FBI.
I'm not sure I'd consider, say, a Mafia hitman or a "serial armed robber" to be a "serial killer." I don't think most people consider criminals who kill incidentally during the perpetration of other crimes to be "serial killers."

Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 PM

947 posts, read 1,463,473 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd consider, say, a Mafia hitman or a "serial armed robber" to be a "serial killer." I don't think most people consider criminals who kill incidentally during the perpetration of other crimes to be "serial killers."
Take the definition up with the FBI. Other countries law enforcement agencies use three or more.

Ed Gein is considered a serial killer by the general public yet he only killed two women.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:59 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I get what he's saying (to an extent):

With the more freedom we get, the less the black family stays together. Right now, 70-something% of black kids are being raised by a single parent. The gap continues to grow.

In 1960 20% of blacks were born out of wedlock and 80% didn't graduate from high school and only 3% were college graduates, and the majority of blacks were poor.

In 2010 70% were born out of wedlock, 80% completed high school, and 15% college grads (over 25% of those in the mid to late 20s), and 50% were middle or upper class. In cities like NYC over 30% of the females were in professional/management categories, whereas in 1960 70% did domestic work.

Seems to me as if an implication that higher out of wedlock births means that life has gotten worse for blacks is simplistic.

What is clear is that there is a difference between black kids from poor and middle income female headed households.

What is also clear is the fact that kids are born out of wedlock doesn't mean that they don't have BOTH of their parents in their lives.

What is also clear is that 50% of kids from ALL races do not live with BOTH biological parents, so people need to look to that larger problem.

Indeed in NYT it turns out that over 40% of the WHITE kids in the poorer parts of WV live with NEITHER biological parent.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OK, right. It's white people that make black women spread their legs for anyone that comes along, and for the sperm doner to be deadbeat trash? .

1. Because a child is born out of wedlock doesn't mean that it doesn't have contact with both parents.

2. 53% of Hispanic kids and 30% of white kids are born out of wedlock and this is a definite increasing trend.

3. 50% of kids from all races DO NOT live with BOTH biological event.

4. In poor counties in WV almost 50% of the kids do NOT live with EITHER parent.

5. Drug abuse and alcoholism is a much greater problem among white youth than it is among their black peers. Why, when the average white kid should have fewer problems?

So I will suggest to you that a focus on blacks and an attempt to deny that white families aren't also in crisis shows hypocrisy on your part!

Old 04-26-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm just not seeing a 70+% unwed birth rate for Whites. Can you cite a source for that?

OTOH...

Percentage of Births to Unwed Mothers

Sources: U.S. Census Bureau, National Center for Health Statistics, 2011.

(Note to moderators: all images appearing in this post have been linked via HTML text command in a legally permissible manner per the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Perfect 10 v. Amazon ruling, and as such do not constitute copyright violation.)

So your stats show that the growth in out of wedlock births among blacks is flattening, while there is a steeper growth rate among both Hispanics and whites.

When Moynihan began to talk about black out of wedlock births in the mid 60s it was LOWER than the out of wedlock birth rate for non Hispanic whites now is.

So when are you going to be talking about the out of wedlock birth rate among non Hispanic whites, and when are you also going to further examine what is happening to the family structure among working class and poor whites, especially in rural areas?

Oh no, its too easy to focus on out of wedlock births among blacks as part of an ideological crusade against "liberals".

Old 04-26-2014, 11:14 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OK, right. It's white people that make black women spread their legs for anyone that comes along, and for the sperm doner to be deadbeat trash? Far from all blacks are like that...are you saying white people cause some blacks to behave like that?

Honestly, the thing that whites have done that HAS encouraged that behavior is 50 years of unrestrained welfare spending and handouts creating generations of sloth and dependency. And yes, there was a degree of racism involved...those promoting these causes assumed incorrectly that blacks are unable of providing for themselves.
First, out-of-welock births among black women has been declining for decades. The reason for the change in percentage is because the birthrate among married black women has plummeted. Second, go into any black neighborhood in the morning or evening, and you'll see hordes of people going to and from work. Third welfare programs are for all applicable people, regardless of race - which is why there are so many more white people on such programs than black people.

And frankly, we've been called "lazy" since well before the end of slavery, and I'm pretty sure that's when the Jezebel stereotype came from as well, so if you're trying to convince people that you're concerned about black people, you should lay off the ago-old stereotyping.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I guess I said it was a black problem because it's happening in the black community at a faster rate than white families. You're right. It's not just a black problem.

What's going on in the black community is that we have young women having multiple children with different men from a young age. These men aren't staying around to be father's to their children. One too many are committing crimes (many of them violent). I guess I'm focusing on the black community because I'm black and I want to see my race succeed. Every time I read a news story, I can predict the race (and I'm right the majority of the time).

Back to the OP, it does seem as if blacks were better off the Civil Rights era. The more freedom we've received, the worse we do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=teen...ml%3B680%3B280

People have a way of making up the facts.

1. They demonize the entire black community implying that we are monolithically ghetto.

2. They deny the existence of many pathologies which they consider to be "black" are visible in comparable communities, Hispanics, and increasingly poor whites.

As we can see, despite the assertion that black teenage girls are baby making machines, the birth rate has tumbled significantly since 1990, and indeed this is now more of a problem among Hispanic girls.

In addition the decline in black teenage pregnancies has declined at a FASTER rate among blacks than among whites.

Now I am curious if we were to remove the difference in household income between the various racial groups what would teenage pregnancy rates look like.

It is a fact that GROWING pathologies are occurring among poor white households akin to what happened to black blacks in the late 50s and early 60s. Poor whites are being heavily impacted by changing employment markets as many have dropped into low wage jobs, and/or have become dependent on disability, unemployment insurance and food stamps. This because there are fewer industrial jobs, and more low wage service jobs.

As unskilled white males are becoming less able to provide for their families, are poor white females tossing them out of the home, as poor black women did in the 60s? A look at WV and other poor counties with a high % of poor whites will be revealing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/us...hits-back.html

One would think that we were talking about Camden when looking at the dysfunction. No this is a MAJORITY white county in WV where the vast majority of the votes went to the GOP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies