Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times

Advertisements

Isn't it illegal for companies to Price Fix?......As in, you can get prices to fix the same thing from 10 different companies and the price is the same down to the penny...

I didn't know where to put this so I put it here...Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
You should put this in the business category but to answer your question, yes, very illegal, provided there was an effort made to fix the price the same.

The only difference is, wholesale/manufacturers are allowed to set pricing minimums and if the retail stores are abiding by them, then its not pice fixing, its considering protecting the value of a brand.

Depends who's fixing the price.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Isn't it illegal for companies to Price Fix?......As in, you can get prices to fix the same thing from 10 different companies and the price is the same down to the penny...

That goes back to the manufacturer of the product they are selling, as an out.
The suggested retail price.

Now, private labeling..... That is where you bust away from the price shoppers.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:29 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You should put this in the business category but to answer your question, yes, very illegal, provided there was an effort made to fix the price the same.

The only difference is, wholesale/manufacturers are allowed to set pricing minimums and if the retail stores are abiding by them, then its not pice fixing, its considering protecting the value of a brand.

Depends who's fixing the price.
This is for having repair work done...even when they include the parts the price is still the same..I'm trying to figure our when I was trying to have something repaired that all of the different shops were priced the same down to the penny.....and these were not national type businesses....all private owned...I want to know how they came up with the same price down to the penny...

Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,602 times
Please do not believe prices are only determined by free market principles. We are in an age of Cartels.
Pharmas, Oil, Airlines, Food (Monsanto) and last but certainly not least- Banking.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
This is for having repair work done...even when they include the parts the price is still the same..I'm trying to figure our when I was trying to have something repaired that all of the different shops were priced the same down to the penny.....and these were not national type businesses....all private owned...I want to know how they came up with the same price down to the penny...
When we give bids on jobs they all are pretty much the same.

All the contractors use the same suppliers.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:

Actually, it is illegal to collude for the purposes of price fixing. But there is nothing wrong with independently setting your own price to the same as your competitor's if you fairly know what that competing price is.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Actually, it is illegal to collude for the purposes of price fixing. But there is nothing wrong with independently setting your own price to the same as your competitor's if you fairly know what that competing price is.
Yeah it is illegal and I am sure it NEVER happens.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
There's been multiple cases of price fixing exposed over the past few years. Major corporations were caught colluding to keep prices high.

There was also the issue with the banks "price fixing" interest rates to make higher profits.

My issue is that its bad for a struggling economy. The less spending power people have the weaker the Economy will be.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
There's been multiple cases of price fixing exposed over the past few years. Major corporations were caught colluding to keep prices high.

There was also the issue with the banks "price fixing" interest rates to make higher profits.

My issue is that its bad for a struggling economy. The less spending power people have the weaker the Economy will be.
This thread sounds like the subject is local contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies