Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually both the left and right are lying/telling the truth in a way.

dollar per person the left says bush tax cuts benefited the wealthy more.
% of taxes vs income you are saying they benefited the poor and middle class more.

And both sides then accuse the other of lying.

What foolishness is this? You're both telling the truth........
Care to comment on the $2 trillion worth of redistribution per year from the top 40% to everyone else, with the top 1% alone paying 1/2 of that, or $1 trillion worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 02:35 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm going to say the same thing liberals always say about the top 1%, who as a matter of fact (supported by IRS data) pay an average effective federal income tax rate that is more than 3 times higher than the effective rate the middle class pays... "You should pay a higher tax rate because you can afford it."

You have no dependents, so you can afford to pay more tax.
The liberals' answer to that is yes, he deserves a break and you don't because you can afford to pay more tax.
I'm right there with you, and have been for a long time.
Really? 3 times what we pay? 1/4 my income goes to taxes and that's not including sales, gasoline, and state tax. So the 1% are paying 75% tax?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:38 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Then he gets audited and goes to federal PMITA prison!
Nooo.

Do it legally.

I have been though audits.....

The lady LOVED my ad with my dogs.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Really? 3 times what we pay?
Yes. I posted:
Quote:
I'm going to say the same thing liberals always say about the top 1%, who as a matter of fact (supported by IRS data) pay an average effective federal income tax rate that is more than 3 times higher than the effective rate the middle class pays
Here's the proof:

Average effective federal income tax rate:

Top 1% - 23.5%

Top 25-50% - 7.0% (the middle class)

IRS Data in Table 1, here:

Summary of Latest IRS Federal Income Tax Data

Furthermore, the top 1% earns 18.7% of the income but pays 35.1% of the individual federal income tax revenue.

The top 25-50% (the middle class) earns 20.6% of the income but only pays 11.5% of the individual federal income tax revenue.

The top 1% is paying roughly TWICE their fair share, according to their income share.

The middle class is only paying about 1/2 their fair share.

The differential in effective tax rates compared to income share is more than 300%.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:51 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
It sure doesn't look like it:
The Distribution of Tax and Spending Policies in the United States

Believe actual data. Not leftist Think Progress propaganda.
We are talking about the Bush tax cuts. Why are you posting sources that do not even mention the Bush tax cuts?

Here are more sources showing how the Bush tax cuts were for the rich.
Ten Years of the Bush Tax Cuts Benefiting the Rich
Bush-Era Tax Cuts For The Rich Do Little To Boost Economy, Job Market: Studies

And its really funny how you call my sources leftist propaganda, while you post sources from corporate think tanks.

Instead of reading page after page of corporate propaganda from your above source, that is only designed to keep CEO's and corporate tax rates low, why not keep it simple.

You don't have to read my sources (just read the words in the links.)

Senate Republicans Block Middle Class Tax Cut
Obama: Republicans blocking middle-class tax cuts - CSMonitor.com

Senate Republicans Block Small Business Aid Bill - DailyFinance
GOP Blocks Senate Small-Business Tax Cut Bill : Roll Call News

Bush-Era Tax Cuts For The Rich Do Little To Boost Economy, Job Market: Studies
Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Old 04-14-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
We are talking about the Bush tax cuts. Why are you posting sources that do not even mention the Bush tax cuts?
Was Bush not president throughout much of the 2000s?

He was, in fact, president from Jan. 2001 to Jan. 2009.
Quote:
"...we find that the biggest net beneficiaries of this increase in redistribution from 2000-2012 are middle-income families and working lower-income families (those in the second quintile). These were the families most targeted by economic stimulus programs and more generous tax credits. Of the $2 trillion in income that was redistributed in 2012, nearly half was paid for by families in the top 1 percent."
The Distribution of Tax and Spending Policies in the United States

Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Work ethic is fine, obviously. My point was that "work ethic" and "responsibility" has no merit in public policy. Public policy is about fairness of opportunity and efficiency of resources. It is not meant to "reward" or "punish" folks. Leave that to your own family. Keep it out of government.
But isn't much of public policy affecting the poor social insurance of one form or another with oversight and caveats attached?

Unemployment benefits? You have to show you are looking for work.

Foodstamps can't be used for certain things, thus forced responsibility (or at least making it harder to convert to cash for liquor etc.)

My friends daughter got some need based scholarships that require the maintenance of at least a B average.

In short, you cannot have public policy without safeguards of responsibility or you wind up getting abused (more than already happens) by the fraudsters and lowlifes. (I have at least 2 or 3 relatives that fit this discription fully and my cousin in family services could tell you stories.....sigh.)

In fact, many of the forced responsibility and other controls are aimed at protecting the vulnerable children stuck in these situations....heck they even take peoples children away in our society if they are not responsible.

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-14-2014 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 03:46 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I agree, it's parents' fault if they got knocked up, it doesn't make them special. Neither are couples as far as I'm concerned. Unless they stay married for twenty years without cheating or separating. Single people get the short end of the stick for everything.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:48 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Work ethic is fine, obviously. My point was that "work ethic" and "responsibility" has no merit in public policy. Public policy is about fairness of opportunity and efficiency of resources. It is not meant to "reward" or "punish" folks. Leave that to your own family. Keep it out of government.
Yet you advocate a tax code that rewards people for behavior that the government approves of.

The current tax code, which is a facet of public policy rewards you for:

- having children
- buying a home
- living in a high tax state (via the state tax deduction)
- giving to charity
- borrowing money

And many more things......

Old 04-14-2014, 03:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I agree, it's parents' fault if they got knocked up, it doesn't make them special. Neither are couples as far as I'm concerned. Unless they stay married for twenty years without cheating or separating. Single people get the short end of the stick for everything.
I did not when I was single.

You have to stop whining and make your own luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies