Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times

Advertisements

When I heard about some potential legislation to place more tax burden on single people without kids recently, I flipped my lid. The US tax system is so unfairly balanced right now, and it is pushing me out of the middle class into poverty.

Almost 1/4 of my gross incomes goes directly to state and federal taxes. And I only make 43K. My net take home ends up being 30K. The system punishes my demographic because we are single with no kids. My GF made close to 100K last year, and she was taxed nearly 25K. Again, 1/4 of the income.

Maybe the government looks at it that we are getting to keep three fourths of our hard earned money without dealing with the expenses of kids. Screw that. A married couple has the benefit of a dual income. They are the ones I see with the nice houses, the garages full of stuff. I am in my 40s, and can't afford a house. I've never owned a lawnmower because I've never had my own yard.

Yes, kids are expensive, but I believe a dual income more than makes up for that especially with all the tax breaks. But the government wants to take more away from me to help familes? Why should I be punished because I was a responsible adult and didn't engage in risky behavior or poor parenting? I have a friend on FB who has a new kid every year. He now has 7 kids. He was bragging about his big tax refund and how his family would get to enjoy a nice cruise. Does he really deserve a break and not me?

I'm all for everyone paying their fair share. So if I have to fork over 25% then everyone should have to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:01 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
When I heard about some potential legislation to place more tax burden on single people without kids recently, I flipped my lid. The US tax system is so unfairly balanced right now, and it is pushing me out of the middle class into poverty.

Almost 1/4 of my gross incomes goes directly to state and federal taxes. And I only make 43K. My net take home ends up being 30K. The system punishes my demographic because we are single with no kids. My GF made close to 100K last year, and she was taxed nearly 25K. Again, 1/4 of the income.

Maybe the government looks at it that we are getting to keep three fourths of our hard earned money without dealing with the expenses of kids. Screw that. A married couple has the benefit of a dual income. They are the ones I see with the nice houses, the garages full of stuff. I am in my 40s, and can't afford a house. I've never owned a lawnmower because I've never had my own yard.

Yes, kids are expensive, but I believe a dual income more than makes up for that especially with all the tax breaks. But the government wants to take more away from me to help familes? Why should I be punished because I was a responsible adult and didn't engage in risky behavior or poor parenting? I have a friend on FB who has a new kid every year. He now has 7 kids. He was bragging about his big tax refund and how his family would get to enjoy a nice cruise. Does he really deserve a break and not me?

I'm all for everyone paying their fair share. So if I have to fork over 25% then everyone should have to do the same.

Hey man i agree with ya but thats what happens when you have a bunch of wild and crazy democrats in office. You get taxed to death to support all the welfare babies and the hot career of "unemployment". The middle class gets shafted big time.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:

Almost 1/4 of my gross incomes goes directly to state and federal taxes.
25% for combined state and federal taxes doesn't sound too steep by american standards

now if we could get all entities (individuals w/ capital gains, big corporations, poor people, etc) to pay at least 25% ... without loopholes ... we'd be on to something.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:07 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Plus people with kids need schools, safe roads and infrastructure way more than single people do.

This is probably the first tax thread I've ever joined because single people do get the shaft. The government continues to subsidize child-birth despite not having enough decent jobs for them, and not having an empty country to populate like it's 1945.

I doubt it will change, both parties are ga ga for goo goos (babies).

Old 04-14-2014, 08:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:

You need to find a way to decrease your taxable income.

Look into some kind of small business to file with your 1040......something you have an interest in.

Then you write of these expenses and get back what has in taken over the year.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
News stories often talk about how Single Women are a huge part of Obama's Base. Single Women get hit with that tax bill exactly the same way that single Men get hit with it.

I guess all those Single Women either don't work or don't understand anything about Taxes.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
News stories often talk about how Single Women are a huge part of Obama's Base. Single Women get hit with that tax bill exactly the same way that single Men get hit with it.

I guess all those Single Women either don't work or don't understand anything about Taxes.
Or, they know how to reduce their taxable income.

When I was single I got all my money back at the end of the year.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
25% for combined state and federal taxes doesn't sound too steep by american standards

now if we could get all entities (individuals w/ capital gains, big corporations, poor people, etc) to pay at least 25% ... without loopholes ... we'd be on to something.
yeah, the nerve of some people not wanting to work 2 hours a day to support others who refuse to work.. dam those people.. if only everyone gave more to suppose even more who refuse to contribute then the nation will be doing fabulous with even more living on the governments dole..

Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Your girlfriend makes $100K? Marry that woman! What the heck is wrong with you? LOL

Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Plus people with kids need schools, safe roads and infrastructure way more than single people do.

This is probably the first tax thread I've ever joined because single people do get the shaft. The government continues to subsidize child-birth despite not having enough decent jobs for them, and not having an empty country to populate like it's 1945.

I doubt it will change, both parties are ga ga for goo goos (babies).
people with children aren't necessarily married -- especially in modern america.

but regardless, as a single person, i don't really feel discriminated against as a taxpayer.

married people are way more motivated to purchase a home -- which makes them payers of property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies