Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times

Advertisements

"Your stance is that "transit doesn't work here, so it won't work anywhere" and is so incredibly narrowminded and short sided."

MattCW, I think you probably mean "short sighted", but whatever... I think you just don't get it!
It is really very simple. My response was generated by YOUR generalization that seems to say that ALL people hate to drive, and would just LOVE to take mass transit.
Of course, that is not true, as I pointed out.
Just as it is not true that mass transit works where YOU are, so it must work everywhere, as your post seemed to imply.
As for living in cities, and using the transit system, I realize that some people back East don't consider Seattle or Tacoma or Honolulu or Memphis to be "big cities". I have lived in those and other cities. Come to think of it, when I was in Memphis I did ride the city bus a lot (I did not have a car at the time). In Seattle, Tacoma, and Honolulu I drove everywhere I wanted to go.
Why is it so difficult to admit that you made a statement that just does NOT fit all people everywhere?

As I said, I think you just don't get it. I have nothing more to say on this issue. It would, IMO, be a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Your stance is that "transit doesn't work here, so it won't work anywhere" and is so incredibly narrowminded and short sided."

MattCW, I think you probably mean "short sighted", but whatever... I think you just don't get it!
It is really very simple. My response was generated by YOUR generalization that seems to say that ALL people hate to drive, and would just LOVE to take mass transit.
Just as it is not true that mass transit works where YOU are, so it must work everywhere, as your post seemed to imply.
As for living in cities, and using the transit system, I realize that some people back East don't consider Seattle or Tacoma or Honolulu or Memphis to be "big cities". I have lived in those and other cities. Come to think of it, when I was in Memphis I did ride the city bus a lot (I did not have a car at the time). In Seattle, Tacoma, and Honolulu I drove everywhere I wanted to go.
Why is it so difficult to admit that you made a statement that just does NOT fit all people everywhere?

As I said, I think you just don't get it. I have nothing more to say on this issue. It would, IMO, be a waste of time.
Did you live IN Seattle and Tacoma or just in King and Pierce county around Seattle and Tacoma?

Old 04-14-2014, 11:36 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

I have nothing to admit other than a minor typographical error. Usually when others try to embarass people for tiny and meaningless errors, it's a sure sign they have nothing substantive to bring to the table.

This all started with you taking a generalization and applying it at a local level. You seemed to think that "people" meant all people with no exceptions whatsoever, and then further implying that because something didn't work for you (your little $250 shopping trip swipe) it wouldn't work for me either, or that it is the only way. Let me make it simple: "people eat bananas." Is that factually incorrect? No. Does everyone eat bananas? No. Maybe another one: "people love tacos." Factually incorrect? No. Does everyone love tacos? No.

What's hilarious about your mention of Seattle, Tacoma, Memphis, and Honolulu, is they all have transit. All but Honolulu has rail transit, and Honolulu is building theirs as we speak.

You lost, and now you're trying to play games, but looking even sillier in the process. Why don't you admit that?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
MattCW, your initial sentence about 'people finding cars confining and not free' was quite broad and sweeping. Now you are criticizing another poster for doing just exactly what you did. Lets move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies