Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 03:52 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,076,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Thats kind of cool, I've always wondered how much it can suppress the sound. I've known the movies were fake of course.

Bringing the round subsonic would help, from there I imagine if you built a weapon and ammo around the idea....just how quiet can you get?

Guaranteed to reduce the noise below 140dB.

That's all.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:02 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Funny that the manufacturers of the suppressors state that rounds fired in 9mm and .22 in the subsonic variety can indeed be hollywood quiet. They actually tested this on mythbusters when they were testing hollywood sound effects and were shocked the silenced pistol sounded just like in the movies not only to their ears when firing it in the police range, but also on the audio recording equipment.

Few? 39 states is few? That is more then half.

FAQs

11) How does caliber affect suppressor choice? 10/22/2012
Certain calibers are much easier to effectively suppress than others. Any bullet traveling fast enough to break the sound barrier will cause a sonic crack and will not be “Hollywood quiet.” The speed of sound is roughly about 1050 feet per second at sea level. While the silencer will still slow and cool the gases prior to releasing them into the atmosphere and the overall sound signature of the combustion gases will still be reduced, the sonic crack of the round traveling through the air will produce a sound in the high 130dB range. Some of the most commonly available rounds that are just as quiet as the movies are .22LR, 9mm (147gr. subsonic), and the new 300 AAC Blackout (220gr. subsonic). If you are seeking the greatest overall sound reduction, stick with one of the above mentioned calibers and try not to walk away smiling.

Silencers

So you may want to about what suppressors can and cannot do when the companies that make them for military, police and civilian use contradict you.
Please. Apply for one in your state and let us know how that goes. Quoting crap from a mfgr's website is funnier than hell.

Of course, they'll try to steer you in the right direction. They want your money. I strongly urge you to go to your nearest suppressor store and try one out.

Are they fun?

Absolutely.

Are they as quiet as the movies?

No.

Not even on mythbusters.

I've test fired many; I've also seen "How it's Made" on my TV.

Look, I've been on here quite a while.....and if I'm EVER wrong......I'll profusely apologize.

Gotta add.....

Wondering why Advanced Armament or ANY other suppressor co. doesn't even bother to divulge the cost of the tax stamp for the ability to even buy one?

Last edited by YAZ; 04-25-2014 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-25-2014, 04:11 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,510,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Wow. If all that is true - it definitely sounds premeditated.
How can you premeditate a murder that occurs between you and a burglar in your house?

I mean that is just crazy when you think about it.

I am NOT a gun lover ok? But I do respect the 2nd amendment to a point, especially when it comes to protecting one's own home.

If I break into someone's house, I am going in knowing full well that I am crossing a line of civility and that death could certainly result from it.

Again, teens die for a lot of stupid reasons. I lost friends when I was a teen/early 20's because they thought it was a good idea to ride a motorcycle 150 mph on a 2 lane highway.

So because the car they hit had bumpers did the driver premeditate their deaths?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,431,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just to note....what you describe is known as "the abused woman syndrome" and indeed is used as a valid defense to find someone innocent.
not how I read it

"The courts in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States have accepted the extensive and growing body of research showing that battered partners can use force to defend themselves and sometimes kill their abusers because of the abusive and sometimes life-threatening situation in which they find themselves, acting in the firm belief that there is no other way than to kill for self-preservation." Battered woman defense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a difference in shooting your husband or stopping your husband from abuse

and re-loading and making sure he is dead.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:21 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,431,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How can you premeditate a murder that occurs between you and a burglar in your house?

Shoot someone

walk over

still breathing

put gun to their temple/neck/cheek

shoot them again

Not sure how that isn't premediated? He actually had a JAMMED gun and had to switch firearms. Why switch firearms over a jammed gun if you weren't planning on . . shooting the person.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:23 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

I am NOT a gun lover ok? But I do respect the 2nd amendment to a point, especially when it comes to protecting one's own home.

If I break into someone's house, I am going in knowing full well that I am crossing a line of civility and that death could certainly result from it.

Again, teens die for a lot of stupid reasons. I lost friends when I was a teen/early 20's because they thought it was a good idea to ride a motorcycle 150 mph on a 2 lane highway.

So because the car they hit had bumpers did the driver premeditate their deaths?
OK.

It's been a while since I've read about this case & I was distracted with some suppressor issues....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but....

Didn't these kids break into this guy's house already a bunch of times?

And I'm fairly sure that this guy actually "laid in waiting' to catch them in the act?

And wasn't this guy assaulted before by at least one of the burglars?......I'm also fairly sure it was documented by the local police. Again, folks...correct me if I need it....

And what's wrong with being a gun lover?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM

947 posts, read 1,463,290 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjjBtWy-cAc silenced .22 with subsonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_D9neCL2c8 300 Blackout AAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_yhqnfSjXA 9mm.

I would say those are hollywood quiet if you fired them in an apt complex. Most people would likely either not hear in their apt with a tv going on, vacuum cleaner, or if they were asleep. There is also how many hertz is in the sound not just how many decibels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhdXly6jT4E suppressed 9mm was 128 decibels. Verdict suppressor reduces gun shot noise to hollywood levels.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
not how I read it

"The courts in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States have accepted the extensive and growing body of research showing that battered partners can use force to defend themselves and sometimes kill their abusers because of the abusive and sometimes life-threatening situation in which they find themselves, acting in the firm belief that there is no other way than to kill for self-preservation." Battered woman defense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a difference in shooting your husband or stopping your husband from abuse

Making sure that he doesn't do it again.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjjBtWy-cAc silenced .22 with subsonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_D9neCL2c8 300 Blackout AAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_yhqnfSjXA 9mm.

I would say those are hollywood quiet if you fired them in an apt complex. Most people would likely either not hear in their apt with a tv going on, vacuum cleaner, or if they were asleep. There is also how many hertz is in the sound not just how many decibels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhdXly6jT4E suppressed 9mm was 128 decibels. Verdict suppressor reduces gun shot noise to hollywood levels.
The threshold for pain is 130 , for Pete's sake. Granted that's constant noise. A chainsaw 30 ft away is around 110. Mythbusters had suppressors at 128.

Have you been around suppressors?

Of course they reduce the sound a LOT.

The frequency changes also, I agree.

But it not's like you're thinking. And if you knew me around my college years living in apts., no way a .22 would go unnoticed with a suppressor .....unless the music & quarter bounce games drowned it out. Thin walls that they were.....

Way too much TV for you; I have a .22 Sig with a built in suppressor custom made. About as loud as your standard firecracker (with magnum rounds). You can hear THAT in the apt. next door......

BTW, I could prob'ly fire my antique .32 Winchester next door with your vacuum cleaner going.....you might hear it.....no suppressor.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:34 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,155,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
not how I read it

There are no such exceptions in the defense. Their goal is to kill them because they feel it's the only way they can protect themselves.

When Kalispell attorney Steve Nardi began to defend Irene Wyman in her 1984 murder case, it didn't appear he had a winner.

Wyman had shot her live in boyfriend twice.

The first time, he was asleep, and the bullet tore off half the man's jaw.

Still, he was able to call police, and as he was giving them his address, Wyman cut the phone lines to their house.

Then, as he fled to his pickup, she shot and killed him.

Battered women's defense highly effective - Home - Bozeman Daily Chronicle

The claim was: After stopping the would be attackers the person summarily executed them. I don't care if this man was anally raped every night for 10 years. . .once you stop the attack you have no right to execute them as judge/jury/and executioner.

So long term abuse has been a defense to kill even at the point that you are not at immediate risk of harm.

I haven't followed this story so I'm not saying it will work for him but.........

Your honor, these two had broke into my clients home many times with no one doing anything to stop it. My client was concerned that one of these times it would escalate and my client felt he had no choice but to stop this now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.