Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, because the CEO of HL personally buys stocks that comprise mutual funds.

Oh what a stretch here folks.

I betcha your 401K and IRA mutual funds are full of stocks that you don't agree with either.
The left invests in 401k which in turn invests in corporations? I thought the left hated corporations

Old 07-02-2014, 12:34 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
I've seen this posted incessantly since yesterday.

Mutual funds are groups of investments in a wide variety of companies. Just as this happened to HL, I guarantee you'll find oil stocks in thousands of hardcore environmentalist's 401k plans too. It's just how funds work; managers also add and remove stocks from their funds. You could buy a fund today that has a new company in it tomorrow.

Trying to use this as some type of gotcha against HL is absurd -- but considering how many people have been easily duped by the sensationalist headline and have reposted it all over the web, it doesn't surprise me that they keep throwing these scraps out there.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post

Mutual funds are groups of investments in a wide variety of companies. Just as this happened to HL, I guarantee you'll find oil stocks in thousands of hardcore environmentalist's 401k plans too. It's just how funds work; managers also add and remove stocks from their funds. You could buy a fund today that has a new company in it tomorrow.

Trying to use this as some type of gotcha against HL is absurd -- but considering how many people have been easily duped by the sensationalist headline and have reposted it all over the web, it doesn't surprise me that they keep throwing these scraps out there.
LOL, OMG OIL. A lot of them like to invest in those oil MLP's

Old 07-02-2014, 12:38 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there again, its the fund managers that decide where the investments go, hobby lobby only selected the mutual funds themselves, probably based on the performance of the funds. so again its a failure on your part. again nice try though.
And who are the fund managers paid by? Answer: Hobby Lobby. Whatever fund managers do on behalf of Hobby Lobby IS Hobby Lobby doing it itself.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Was this brought up in the Supreme court case? It could disprove their position, but realistically, lots of people are hypocrites.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post

And there are mutual funds out there specifically geared towards the religious and only invest in companies that adhere to "Biblical principles." Hobby Lobby could hire 401K managers that only offer such funds, but they chose not to.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:43 PM

Brad Pitt has supporting political candidates and activist causes, environmentalism, alternative fuels and energy-efficient cars.

Yet he is an avid investor of MLP Index’s. The index, holding some 50 MLPs, favors gas-and-oil infrastructure companies like Enterprise Products Partners, Kinder Morgan KMI -0.64% and Plains All American Pipeline.

These stocks generate strong yields and cash flow, and like real estate investment trusts, pay no taxes. Hence, they have more to share with investors, and payouts are more lightly taxed.

http://www.forbes.com/secrets-wealthy-people-know-about-amassing-and-maintaining-a-fortune

Oh the liberal hypocrisy is astounding if you open your eyes to see it.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM

As C-level executive employees of Hobby Lobby, I wonder how much money Green family members personally have invested in their Hobby Lobby 401k retirement plans, and I wonder if they've only invested in the 25% of the plans that don't included abortion companies.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:50 PM

The liberals love taxes right? No, not if it's their money.

They have trouble getting around the Alternative Minimum Tax, something every American pays. “It effects something like 20 million Americans, and it limits how many expenses you take to eliminate your taxable income.”

To get around this, celebs start a corporation and instruct producers to pay the corporation, not them directly. (The government made an exception for entertainers to earn wages this way, Feinstein says. You, in all likelihood, can not.) The corporation, in turn, pays the entourage, and the star emerges with a lowered taxable income.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:31 PM

1,553 posts, read 925,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And there are mutual funds out there specifically geared towards the religious and only invest in companies that adhere to "Biblical principles." Hobby Lobby could hire 401K managers that only offer such funds, but they chose not to.

Wow, after all these months the HL hypocrites are STILL letting their employees invest in funds that own companies that make birth control drugs and methods?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies