Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times

Advertisements

Thank God...

'Syrian soldiers backed by Hezbollah fighters recaptured the town of Maaloula, north of Damascus, on Monday, military sources and state television said, further squeezing rebels' supply routes through the Qalamoun mountains into Lebanon.

Islamist fighters, some from the al Qaeda-linked Nusra Front, had taken over part of the ancient Christian town in December and held several nuns captive until releasing them in March in a prisoner-exchange deal.

"They are inside Maaloula now. It is under their complete control, including the monastery of Mar Thecla," said a military source in contact with government fighters on the ground.

At another ancient Christian site, Mar Sarkis - a Greek Orthodox monastery dating back to the fourth century and located on a hilltop above Maaloula - a Reuters witness saw crosses and pictures of saints smashed and covered with dust on the floor.'

Syrian army seizes ancient Christian town near Lebanon border | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
Is this the one time Christians say thanks Hezbollah?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Is this the one time Christians say thanks Hezbollah?
I'll admit it's hard to pick a side between the warring Muslim factions, but I always side with the group that the Christians the best, because that group will be the most tolerant of the rights of minorities, women, etc.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I'll admit it's hard to pick a side between the warring Muslim factions, but I always side with the group that the Christians the best, because that group will be the most tolerant of the rights of minorities, women, etc.
Assad is one of the few secular leaders in the Middle East, I give him props for that

Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
AQ are basically bullies and tyrants. I guess that is why democrats always defend them though........

Old 04-15-2014, 03:18 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
AQ are basically bullies and tyrants. I guess that is why democrats always defend them though........
It is Republicans who support AQ. See this pic of John McCain with AQ Rebels in Syria praising them and sending them money/help.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Support al-Assad. The rebels are terrorists.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:29 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Neocons in both parties are lauding the rebels, which is as good a reason as any to back Assad.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Neocons in both parties are lauding the rebels, which is as good a reason as any to back Assad.
It seems to me that our foreign policy in the Middle East is to create as much instability as possible. The recent Rachel Maddow show about why we went to war (spelled O-I-L), didn't really shed much light.
Sure, the necons, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Bush, etc were already drawing up plans to invade, replete with maps of all the oilfields, before 9-11, which provided a convenient pretext.

But Sadaam was always willing to trade oil with the West, and Rumsfeld applauded him for using the WMD against Iran. Sadaam also kept the peace in Iraq, albeit with an iron fist. No, something made us turn against him, and it wasn't Kuwait - which we waved him into.

The Iraq invasion - so what did we get for all the lives lost and billions spent - ongoing chaos and bloodshed in a country that still stuggles to provide water and electricity. We didn't conquer their oil fields, which at least I could understand, if not condone.

So what was the intent? We all know that the neocons invented the mushroom cloud lies, and the WMD under Bush's desk, but what did it all accomplish? Chaos.

Gadaffi was a stabilizing force in Libya - disposed with help from the West. What's left is a void, with attendant chaos. So another instance of 'Mission Accomplished'?

Syria has so far avoided the fate of Iraq and Libya, but was on the original neocon 'hit' list.

'Why we did it' Part 1, US thirsty for energy | MSNBC

Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Except that's never happened. Got any more strawmen to share with the class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies