Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Let's turn this argument around:

Losing unemployment benefits is not compelling people to go to work, so they must not need the money.
The need for money is there and is very real. In order to survive, they are changing their lives and doing things they would not ordinarily do, like move in with friend or relative, share expenses and say yes, to the Part Time job that is available.

People all around America are making sacrifices in their lives that some people don't see them making.

I work in retail; I see people shop and what is in their carts---a lot of changes are happening and I don't know. Some one is fudging some numbers some where, because the store shelved items are revealing much to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Exactly. I went from drawing beer in a pizza parlor to truck driver, to the US Navy and then UP as maintenance of way to conductor and engineer to BNSF and am now senior engineer.

You don't get to where I am at whining about your next welfare check.
No, you get there by being in the right place at the right time and knowing some one is helpful too. Unfortunately, not every one makes it.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Have you ever worked for a poor person??
Many businesses have had their humble beginnings.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
No thats not my position. I am well aware that the methodology changed, and even why. I DO agree it can be off, but not by a factor of 5X....but lets turn this around.

Lets say "Gosh you know what, you're right pknopp. It IS 10% since 1980.....So lets apply that to minimum wage shall we? I mean hey-lets keep minimum wage up at that 10% inflation rate shall we?

$3.10/hr in 1980
By your math, minimum wage should be $79.19.

Hmmmm......The moral of this story is "math is not that hard"
hey, I like that math. Can we do that? That would make my average 29 hour work week paycheck, heaven.

PS: There is a reality here that no one sees and ya know, I really would love to go live in their world for awhile, because my reality sucks.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 04-16-2014 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
The USA ranks 6th overall highest in capital gains taxes. It averages around 28% when you factor in short and long term capital gains plus state and local income taxes.

The High Burden of State and Federal Capital Gains Tax Rates | Tax Foundation
and ranks 10th place in economic freedoms.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Then the Republicans you know are half-witted political hacks and bad business owners.

No one in their right mind says "I have some cash to spend-- Maybe I'll create some jobs..." And no one with half a brain and the real need to expand (increasing profitability due to increased demand is really the only reason TO expand) wouldn't do so because of the President.

Complete idiocy. And probably baloney. Leave the Fox derp bubble once in a while.
Higher business taxes drives the small business under and the successful ones over seas in job creation. Who helps with the setting of those taxes?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'm a small business owner and would hire at least three more full time people tomorrow if it weren't such a royal pain in the ass to do so. Too much of the extra revenue would be eaten up by taxes and other new hire expenses.....there is very little upside. More employee aggregation, more running around, more accounting, etc.

People who haven't owned a business shouldn't speak of things they know nothing about.
Yep, I knew this. I knew this, because----I've tried all I know to try.

Don't give up.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Many businesses have had their humble beginnings.
That is a ways from POOR.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Cutting people off unemployment would never help anyone find work because the hiring process for many jobs can be 2-3 months. So if you are in your 5th month of UE and a company you interviewed with is dragging their feet during the hiring process, then it will lead to people not be able to support themselves

That's why I feel there should be extensions

Old 04-16-2014, 07:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
On one job's earnings? Isn't happening! It amazes me how many people do not understand how those benefits are paid. Oh wait, let me guess; you never claimed! That explains it!

Until there are enough jobs for those that need one in this country, federal unemployment should be continued.
Yet --- Obama and others say we need millions of illegal foreign labor --- because they have the work ethic that Americans lost. Why are we keeping the borders open and allowing so many to come and take jobs if there aren't enough jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies