Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 02:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

The unemployment rate is now low --- that right there is proof that ending unemployment handouts is helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 02:35 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The unemployment rate is now low --- that right there is proof that ending unemployment handouts is helping.
1) Even the official unemployment rate is actually still fairly high.

2) In order to receive unemployment handouts, one must look for work and apply for a certain number of jobs each week. In order to be counted as unemployed, one must be looking for work. When people are no longer eligible for unemployment handouts, they often see no reason to keep looking for work; thus, they may no longer be counted as unemployed, but are still not working. Labor force participation (which includes the unemployed) is way, way down.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Does the media expect me to believe the unemployment rate is actually down?? I was born at night not last night

Old 04-20-2014, 04:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I can tell you have never run a business.

People who invest will sit on their money if they are not comfortable with the business climate.
Actually I have owned three and run five. Sold two and am running the third. The business climate is what you make of it. Up and down markets offer unique opportunities.

Again goes to show how poor your Fox-bubble based judgement is.

No one with a real need to expand-- except some Fox-drooling political hacks-- is waiting to see who the next president is.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 PM

25,742 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
you never take what you can get because that's not good for your mental health. You always have to like something about any job you decided to accept or you will be depressed
I've never "liked" any job I've ever had. Because other than providing funding, it's a waste of my time.

We look at things far differently. A job, to me, is sold time. I'm selling my time in exchange for money. It has nothing to do with liking anything. It's a simple barter--you get my time, I get funding to live. Once I accept the transaction and I've sold my time, I either perform the function satisfactorily or I don't. When I'm "working on a job," I am not a person, I am a function. The employer is buying a task. And that is exactly what he gets if I agree to the sale of my time.

Again, it's nothing to do with "liking" anything. You either perform your task or you don't. I always have in any job I've had. From an employer's perspective, he/she doesn't want "rotten lettuce" any more than I would want rotten lettuce if I go to the grocery store and buy a bag of salad. I want what I pay for, just as an employer does. As the "lettuce" bought by my employer, I make sure I'm not "rotten." Liking the task performed has nothing to do with performing the task.

For me, that time I spend once I've sold it is not mine. The experience is not mine. It's not even a part of my life. My life consists of the time I have NOT sold. There is no such thing as being depressed (at least for me) during time that is not mine. That's not what an employer is paying me to do. And as I said, on my own time, time spent at "work" does not exist for me. It's simply a missing X number of hours on any given day.

And don't tell me it doesn't work. I've been doing it that way for 35 years. It works just fine. Other than a job or two I had as an uncaring teenager, I've never gotten anything but positive comments on the functions I have performed during my sold hours. It makes no difference to me what those functions are, because they are not a part of my life anyway--they are hours I have agreed to sell to someone else.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Actually I have owned three and run five. Sold two and am running the third. The business climate is what you make of it. Up and down markets offer unique opportunities.

Again goes to show how poor your Fox-bubble based judgement is.

No one with a real need to expand-- except some Fox-drooling political hacks-- is waiting to see who the next president is.
They are waiting for the inevitable turning off of the money supply and following crash.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:21 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I've never "liked" any job I've ever had. Because other than providing funding, it's a waste of my time.

We look at things far differently. A job, to me, is sold time. I'm selling my time in exchange for money. It has nothing to do with liking anything. It's a simple barter--you get my time, I get funding to live. Once I accept the transaction and I've sold my time, I either perform the function satisfactorily or I don't. When I'm "working on a job," I am not a person, I am a function. The employer is buying a task. And that is exactly what he gets if I agree to the sale of my time.

Again, it's nothing to do with "liking" anything. You either perform your task or you don't. I always have in any job I've had. From an employer's perspective, he/she doesn't want "rotten lettuce" any more than I would want rotten lettuce if I go to the grocery store and buy a bag of salad. I want what I pay for, just as an employer does. As the "lettuce" bought by my employer, I make sure I'm not "rotten." Liking the task performed has nothing to do with performing the task.

For me, that time I spend once I've sold it is not mine. The experience is not mine. It's not even a part of my life. My life consists of the time I have NOT sold. There is no such thing as being depressed (at least for me) during time that is not mine. That's not what an employer is paying me to do. And as I said, on my own time, time spent at "work" does not exist for me. It's simply a missing X number of hours on any given day.

And don't tell me it doesn't work. I've been doing it that way for 35 years. It works just fine. Other than a job or two I had as an uncaring teenager, I've never gotten anything but positive comments on the functions I have performed during my sold hours. It makes no difference to me what those functions are, because they are not a part of my life anyway--they are hours I have agreed to sell to someone else.
still good to like something a place you go to 5 days a week whether it's the people, 2 fifteen mins breaks, flex timne, floating holidays, cola raises. I'm sure you can't be going to a place everyday and not liking anything. You could not survive that way

Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Its not meant as welfare which is why it ends at some point. There are programs for that already.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:57 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its not meant as welfare which is why it ends at some point. There are programs for that already.
6 months is not enough time to find a job when you factor in the length of the hiring process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies